Moderator: S2k Moderators

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IAN - Hurricane - Discussion

#5821 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:43 pm

dspguy wrote:
tolakram wrote:
If people are looking for a reason not to evacuate they will find one. Not sure we can fix that problem

Back in 2018(?) there was some hurricane bearing down on the Myrtle Beach area. I have an elderly relative that lives around the border of NC/SC less than a mile from the ocean. I was trying to explain that by the time he can make the call to evacuate, he can't evacuate. It would be too late. He'd find any reason to not evacuate. "Look, the cone shift a little east/west, I'll be ok." I tried to explain that by the time they actually have an idea where the NE quadrant will land, he won't have time to get out. Considering he lives in a patio home only a few feet above sea level, he'd be that guy trapped in his attic with flood waters rising.

By a miracle, I got him to evacuate. And since when he came back he only had two large pines down in his yard and only minor water damage, apparently I was "wrong" and he should have stayed.

When the next one comes, they'll be no getting him out of there.

It really is a matter of people interpret it the way they want.

If I lived in hurricane prone areas, I would take zero chances to ride this out and just evacuate if a powerful hurricane (such as Ian that slammed into Florida) is coming my way. Just like when I must be ready to be in a tornado shelter when there is a Tornadic Supercell coming in my direction.
3 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

syfr
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5822 Postby syfr » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:44 pm

Steve wrote:[
It’s always cool in North Carolina IMHO. It’s quickly becoming my favorite place to go. :) <- but I know what you meant. Rainfall looked possibly underdone in some areas per 12z QPF, but maybe mid single inches ends up right?

Ooof...we had almost two months of 90-100F highs this summer ... cool it is now, but not earlier in the year.

Mid single inches is not a problem in this area, especially if it happens over the course of a day.

Fran dumped 10" at my house in 8 hours in 96 and we were fortunate enough to still be high and dry.
4 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, I'm an electronics engineer. While I can probably fix your toaster oven, you're not going to learn about storms from me!

New Mexico had no hurricanes. Then I moved to NC right before Fran.....

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5823 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:44 pm

Running hot with nearly 70mm/hr rain rate.
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5824 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:45 pm

Looks like convection is curving in toward the surface low
1 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5825 Postby Steve » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:46 pm

LARanger wrote:
Steve wrote:Seems like we in the US have had a lot of costly climate events in the last 7-10 years with Harvey, Maria, Irma, Ida, 2016 floods on and on. I’m not looking to place blame or push any agenda. But things have been kind of historic lately and different than what any of us have ever seen before. Maybe there were eras in the 30’s or 40’s where hits might have been bigger deals with more population. That’s speculation though.

"Costliest" as a measure includes a variety of things as hidden and not-so-hidden variables, not all of which mean anything from a meteorological perspective.

Corollary: There could've been a Gulf (and Atlantic) chock full of Cat-5 hurricanes in 1491 that lined up single-file to whack Florida . . . we wouldn't know much about it.

Sure. We do know some things from soil borings and can go back +/- several hundred years. But we don’t know much long term. We do know that since 2017, America has had 4 of its costliest meteorological disasters. I’m not going to be surprised if Ian ends up over $50B and becomes another in a successive line of disasters.
2 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5826 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:49 pm

Not only a poleward outflow, but a equatorward outflow as well.
Didn't see the later when it was on approach to west FL coast.
2 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5827 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:49 pm

Pressure looks like it may be decreasing slowly now. I think the storm surge is the biggest concern ahead.
2 likes   

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#5828 Postby meriland29 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:52 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Pressure looks like it may be decreasing slowly now. I think the storm surge is the biggest concern ahead.

Decreasing as is lower MB? Or decreasing strength?
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5829 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:53 pm

Looks like the models are missing this by a country mile.
RAP has 300mb winds in completely opposite direction than what satellites / CIMSS is showing south of the CoC.
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#5830 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:55 pm

meriland29 wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:Pressure looks like it may be decreasing slowly now. I think the storm surge is the biggest concern ahead.

Lower MB (mb)
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5831 Postby Steve » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:56 pm

GCANE wrote:Looks like the models are missing this by a country mile.
RAP has 300mb winds in completely opposite direction than what satellites / CIMSS is showing south of the CoC.

I haven’t looked at the high levels so what would be the differences if RAP is correct - a farther north landfall in South Carolina? More precip?
1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5832 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:58 pm

meriland29 wrote:

Lower mb. About 984 now.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5833 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:00 pm

2nd VDM has a drop of 1mb
0 likes   

TheHurricaneGod
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5834 Postby TheHurricaneGod » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:01 pm

The bright side of Ian is that the rainy season has probably ended here, with lower humidity and lower nighttime temps (upper 60s to low 70s). It has been relentless rain for the past 3 weeks here with constant thunderstorms, topping off with hurricane Ian. Man, fort myers has been devastated. It feels like one of those nightmares.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5835 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:04 pm

Drops measuring increasing RH at the surface,'69% to now 79%
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5836 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:05 pm

Boundary layer nearly saturated south of the CoC.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5837 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:09 pm

Latest VDM fix is about 7 miles east of forecast track
0 likes   

WilmingtonSandbar
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5838 Postby WilmingtonSandbar » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:13 pm

Steve wrote:
syfr wrote:It's extremely cool in NC these past days. It will be interesting to see how the remains of IAN digest that air once it starts landward. Humidity is very low too.

It’s always cool in North Carolina IMHO. It’s quickly becoming my favorite place to go. :) <- but I know what you meant. Rainfall looked possibly underdone in some areas per 12z QPF, but maybe mid single inches ends up right?
————
I was just watching the Ian intro on All In and they mentioned the 5 most costliest storms. Even though I had to deal with it, I had no idea Ida is the 5th costliest now at $72B. I assume Ian will be up there in that range when all is said and done. Seems like we in the US have had a lot of costly climate events in the last 7-10 years with Harvey, Maria, Irma, Ida, 2016 floods on and on. I’m not looking to place blame or push any agenda. But things have been kind of historic lately and different than what any of us have ever seen before. Maybe there were eras in the 30’s or 40’s where hits might have been bigger deals with more population. That’s speculation though.

Ian winding up a little. I wonder if it’s got a backside coming in out the SE?

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/s ... &length=24

When he says it was extremely cool today, it didn't get above 65 the whole day. For September/October, that's about 10-15 degrees below average. I almost had to put on long pants today!
4 likes   
Diana X2 (look it up), Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Floyd, Dennis, Charley, Ophelia, Ernesto, Irene, Matthew, And Florence

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5839 Postby GCANE » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:20 pm

Pretty vigorous convection NW of the surface CoC and slowly closing in.
Looks like its trying to take a bite out of the PV streamer.
Trying to stack IMHO
0 likes   

socplay02
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5840 Postby socplay02 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:29 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
dspguy wrote:
tolakram wrote:
If people are looking for a reason not to evacuate they will find one. Not sure we can fix that problem

Back in 2018(?) there was some hurricane bearing down on the Myrtle Beach area. I have an elderly relative that lives around the border of NC/SC less than a mile from the ocean. I was trying to explain that by the time he can make the call to evacuate, he can't evacuate. It would be too late. He'd find any reason to not evacuate. "Look, the cone shift a little east/west, I'll be ok." I tried to explain that by the time they actually have an idea where the NE quadrant will land, he won't have time to get out. Considering he lives in a patio home only a few feet above sea level, he'd be that guy trapped in his attic with flood waters rising.

By a miracle, I got him to evacuate. And since when he came back he only had two large pines down in his yard and only minor water damage, apparently I was "wrong" and he should have stayed.

When the next one comes, they'll be no getting him out of there.

It really is a matter of people interpret it the way they want.

If I lived in hurricane prone areas, I would take zero chances to ride this out and just evacuate if a powerful hurricane (such as Ian that slammed into Florida) is coming my way. Just like when I must be ready to be in a tornado shelter when there is a Tornadic Supercell coming in my direction.

It's really kinda tough and definitely unpleasant if you are in South Florida. Remember you're basically a five hour drive without traffic (this is key) just to get to Jacksonville from Ft Lauderdale. There are pretty much only three main roads to get out from either the west coast or the east coast and there are something like 6m+ people just in the Miami/Broward/Palm Beach metros, and gas can be crazy to find. Also, the storm is likely moving north at an angle and has a chance to go up either the east or west coast, so if it ends up going more south and then up the west coast it could come back north east across the state and make it so you can't get back for a while.

Add in if you have pets, now you're likely stuck in a hotel the whole time, cause otherwise your dog will potentially bark the entire time if you leave and who knows what crazy things your cats might do. Of course most hotels don't take pets, if you're lucky to find a hotel easily, cause again 6 million people and really it could hit anywhere in that range and you really don't want to be out of power for a week in the Florida heat, especially if you have a kid(s)...

Speaking of which, having a 3 year old with you for five days in a Howard Johnson and you can't leave because of your generally super chill but suddenly demon pets... oh and your wife is pregnant...Well that got strangle strangely specific.

Totally gallows humor, I'm laughing to keep from crying. This is such an awful situation and I'm haunted by that 11pm shift in the track Tuesday night and the idea people went to bed thinking they're fine and wokinh up to an expected strengthening cat 4 with massive storm surge and tropical storm winds already at your door.

I couldn't take it anymore, it was too stressful so we moved to Raleigh. Under no impression that we can't get a major fast moving hurricane here and the building codes are so much more lax in terms of weather, but at least now I can drive five hours and be in so many different places, plus we're a 11 hour drive to family in western and upstate NY.

The biggest thing was the three roads to get off the peninsula and only being able to evacuate ultimately in one direction to the north that really ended up being my motivation to look for a move (plus it was Sept 2020, and we weren't going to see any family for likely a couple years because we weren't flying so that was super isolating).
7 likes   

Return to “2022”