S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: IAN - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#6041 Postby HurricaneBelle » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:17 pm

StAuggy wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
Looking at this short list… it’s clear the curse of the “I” names holds weight

There is no "I curse" - I is the 9th letter of the alphabet and therefore is almost always a September storm near the peak of the season. One could also say there's a "M curse" (Maria, Michael, Matthew, Mitch, etc)
8 likes   

PandaCitrus
Category 1
Category 1

#6042 Postby PandaCitrus » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:18 pm

This is an in-depth aerial tour of Fort Myers Beach from the FOX station in Fort Myers. It's absolutely insane and also shows major structural damage on some of the condos with the entire concrete roof gone. Looked like Hurricane Andrew type wind damage, obviously an older structure. Thank god for the Florida Building code after Hurricane Andrew. Looking from this video it would not surprise me in the least if Fort Myers Beach got 20 or more feet of surge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FtgT9RPWCA
4 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6043 Postby toad strangler » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:32 pm

HurricaneBelle wrote:
StAuggy wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

There is no "I curse" - I is the 9th letter of the alphabet and therefore is almost always a September storm near the peak of the season. One could also say there's a "M curse" (Maria, Michael, Matthew, Mitch, etc)

Agree. Personally, it’s a ridiculous topic. If anything, A storms like Andrew have much more significance being the first letter. Even then there is absolutely no meteorological value whatsoever in the topic.
5 likes   

PandaCitrus
Category 1
Category 1

#6044 Postby PandaCitrus » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:45 pm

NOAA Hurricane Ian aerial damage imagery if anyone wants to search for their home.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/ ... 6/-81.9935
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#6045 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:50 pm

I remember even early this season and throughout 2021's and 2020's hurricane seasons, how many South Floridians, including those on the west coast, have frequently raved about how lucky they have been with the "Florida Shield" in particular. Ian imho was such a frightening and incredible storm as it basically shattered the "Florida Shield" concept to pieces and really demonstrated how luck can only go so far to protect people from hurricanes.

I also applaud wxman57 for his early warnings that Florida was at an elevated risk of a major storm this year. With the persistent East Coast troughing this year, imho, it was really only a matter of time before something took advantage of that and the warm ssts to really blow up and recurve northward toward the Florida vicinity. Ian unfortunately did just that.
13 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#6046 Postby Sciencerocks » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:54 pm

1 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#6047 Postby Teban54 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:26 pm

9 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#6048 Postby Category5Kaiju » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:34 pm

Wow. Absolutely jaw-dropping. Especially the 22-second mark. It took within one animation second for Ian to go from 140 mph to 155 mph and to clear out that horrific eye.

Ian will join the likes of Charley and Andrew as a name Floridians will never want to hear again.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#6049 Postby BobHarlem » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:47 pm

I75 north of Ft. Myers around North Port is closed due to river Myakka Flooding, and so are multiple alternate routes (41, 72, 70) to there. The river rises are going to hamper the relief efforts even after the storm is gone. Unconfirmed reports that the I75 bridge over Myakka collapsed, but not sure if that's true.
0 likes   

Coolcruiseman
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#6050 Postby Coolcruiseman » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:17 pm

According to news reports it's the river rising to a level that is making the I75 bridge in the Northport area basically unsafe or unstable. All the runoff from the heavy rains farther north?
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#6051 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:22 pm

BobHarlem wrote:I75 north of Ft. Myers around North Port is closed due to river Myakka Flooding, and so are multiple alternate routes (41, 72, 70) to there. The river rises are going to hamper the relief efforts even after the storm is gone. Unconfirmed reports that the I75 bridge over Myakka collapsed, but not sure if that's true.

Did not collapse, but it's indeed shut down because of the rising river from the runoff being fed into it.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#6052 Postby galaxy401 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:30 pm

Death toll up to 45 in Florida now according to CNN.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

typhoonty
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#6053 Postby typhoonty » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:15 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:After tracking Ian, I think I've really come to realization on how terrifying storm surge is.

When you imagine the textbook picture of hurricane destruction, you would think that it was because of the wind. No. It's storm surge that causes such a kind of destruction. No wonder why the destruction left by a powerful hurricane almost looks like a tsunami destruction.

So this means the category should be determined by the amount of water it moves i.e. IKE, and not SSHWS.
1 likes   
FSU Meteorology student, opinions are mine, 18 years experience covering TC's, consult NHC/Local officials when making decisions.

Gabrielle '01, Michelle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Dennis '05, Katrina '05, Rita '05, Wilma '05, Fay '08, Isaac '12 Hermine '16, Irma '17, Gordon '18, Michael '18, Eta '20 IAN '22

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#6054 Postby PTPatrick » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:17 pm

cycloneye wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:After tracking Ian, I think I've really come to realization on how terrifying storm surge is.

When you imagine the textbook picture of hurricane destruction, you would think that it was because of the wind. No. It's storm surge that causes such a kind of destruction. No wonder why the destruction left by a powerful hurricane almost looks like a tsunami destruction.

Storm surge is the most destructive thing apart from the winds in a powerful hurricane.

Yep if you look at pictures of the Mississippi gulf cost after Katrina it was almost wiped clean for 80 miles, and most of it was surge not wind, similarly to fort Meyrs beach, sanibel, and pine island. The force of wind driven water and battering waves will tear most non-concrete structures apart at some point. Then debris starts doing a number on what’s left. Often it’s better a few blocks off beach, not necessarily because the water is always lower, but because the beach structures and vegetation take the wave hits. Oddly concrete bridges don’t usually fair well either. Pensacola bay bridge post-Ivan and the biloxi bridge after Katrina took similar damage to some of the island bridges around fort Meyers.

I haven’t seen many pictures of Cape Coral or city of fort Myers but I assume they are mostly intact but flooded structures given the relative protection from the ocean front. Cape Coral looks like Venice in satellite pictures but I have never been there. It’s a big city that’s bound to be a mess unless surge underperformed there?
0 likes   

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#6055 Postby Teban54 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:14 am

So Ian copied the location and intensity of Charley's both landfalls... Not just the Florida landfall.
 https://twitter.com/HurricaneManWx/status/1575960270559903745

4 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6056 Postby Steve » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:47 am

Where the **** is Bones? Enough of Ian.
4 likes   

StAuggy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6057 Postby StAuggy » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:59 am

toad strangler wrote:
HurricaneBelle wrote:
StAuggy wrote:

Agree. Personally, it’s a ridiculous topic. If anything, A storms like Andrew have much more significance being the first letter. Even then there is absolutely no meteorological value whatsoever in the topic.

There wouldn’t be any meteorological value since it’s not a meteorological phenomenon… it’s a strange coincidence. There could easily be more horrible G, H, J or K names given the “peak of season” timing.

Ian will be the 14th “I” name retired in the Atlantic. The next closet letters are both 9, C and F.
3 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6058 Postby toad strangler » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:27 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:I remember even early this season and throughout 2021's and 2020's hurricane seasons, how many South Floridians, including those on the west coast, have frequently raved about how lucky they have been with the "Florida Shield" in particular. Ian imho was such a frightening and incredible storm as it basically shattered the "Florida Shield" concept to pieces and really demonstrated how luck can only go so far to protect people from hurricanes.

I also applaud wxman57 for his early warnings that Florida was at an elevated risk of a major storm this year. With the persistent East Coast troughing this year, imho, it was really only a matter of time before something took advantage of that and the warm ssts to really blow up and recurve northward toward the Florida vicinity. Ian unfortunately did just that.

The Florida shield was a completely tongue in cheek thing. At least it was for me. I refuse to believe anybody actually believed that side banter.

As for ‘57, he pretty much nailed where this storm was going right from his first post on it and never waffled under the pressure of the model huggers.
4 likes   

SecondBreakfast
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#6059 Postby SecondBreakfast » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:33 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/30/us/h ... -ios-share

Pretty damning assessment of Lee County officials’ actions/inactions here…
2 likes   
Biologist by training, weather enthusiast for life.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#6060 Postby tolakram » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:39 am

Damn, that is a brutal assessment. Most importantly they violated their own rules. They were looking at modeling AND violating their own risk rules. That is a really ugly situation.
4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2022”