Moderator: S2k Moderators

MBryant
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: IAN - Hurricane - Discussion

#4601 Postby MBryant » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:35 am

TallyTracker wrote:
TheDreamTraveler wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:I'm honestly flabbergasted by how many Cat 4+ storms in the Gulf have made landfall in the CONUS since 2017. Ever since then, with the exception of 2019, every year has had one of these kinds of storms, and Ian looks to continue this deadly pattern. Unlike years before then, Cat 4+ GoM storms aren't weakening before landfall, they're literally strengthening up until then. Not sure what is causing this pattern, whether it is a property of the gulf itself that has changed or if something in the Atlantic atmospheric state is causing it, but I can bet you that unless something drastic happens, it's likely that 2023, 2024, and so forth will feature at least one of these kinds of systems in their respective seasons.

It's only a matter of time before those maps depicting Harvey, Michael, Laura, Ida, and (now) Ian are going to become totally unreadable.

We went from having 0 category 3+ major hurricane landfalls in the US from 2006-2016 to so many I've lost count at this point between 2017-2022

Historically, there seems to be years with many major hurricane strikes and then years of quiet. It’s seems we are back in the busy stretch as far as landfalls are concerned. Not sure if it’s random or if a specific cyclical weather pattern is to blame. My guess is a combination of both but that’s exactly what it is, a guess.

I'm sure somebody has studied the correlation of Hurricane frequency and strength with sun spot activity and it's 22 year cycle I think.
5 likes   
Living at the intersection of Rita and Humberto and Ike and Harvey and Laura and Delta!

This post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological products.

weeniepatrol
Category 3
Category 3

#4602 Postby weeniepatrol » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:35 am

Iceresistance wrote:Did I hear correctly that Ian nearly took out the recon plane?

They got wicked turbulence and I'm sure they're fine BUT there's been no transmitted data for FORTY MINUTES

NOT THE BEST TIME!
5 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#4603 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:35 am

5 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#4604 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:36 am

weeniepatrol wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:Did I hear correctly that Ian nearly took out the recon plane?

They got wicked turbulence and I'm sure they're fine BUT there's been no transmitted data for FORTY MINUTES

NOT THE BEST TIME!

The turbulence must have done a number on the transmitter.
3 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4605 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:36 am

Significant radar attenuation from Tampa, back to the Key West radar.

9 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#4606 Postby eastcoastFL » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:36 am

God no. I hope not. I saw it had lost altitude for a minute but nothing crazy like that...I hope.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4607 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:37 am

Makes me sick seeing Sanibel get hit like this.
18 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#4608 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:38 am

5 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#4609 Postby kevin » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:38 am

Recon is back, they survived. Near the western side of Ian now:

11 likes   

Rail Dawg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4610 Postby Rail Dawg » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:38 am

For those that are staying they are in for a very scary next 36 hours.

I was in a parking lot garage in Panama City for Michael. 185mph gusts.

Video does not capture the screaming power of the wind. Forget the surge which is deadly in its own right. The wind at 185 is absolutely incredible. Being in an open parking garage you can stand 10 feet from the wind and watch objects sail past the building completely horizontal.

The Fists of God will be seen and heard in the inner eyeball.

Leave now if you can. It’s not too late. Get out before the surge.

Man I remember for those major hurricanes the moments where I committed to my position and several times caught the eye. But holy cow it is a commitment. People do not understand the power of a Cat 5. Ian is going to cause a horrific amount of damage.

People think they are invincible. I have seen way too many dead people after a hurricane. I know that many died within a mile of where I made my stand.

I retired from chasing/helping just after Cat 5 Michael. My goal had always been to catch a Cat 5 eye passage.

To the new chasers looking for likes on You Tube: Don’t go into the death zone with that attitude. Chasing a Cat 5 with no previous experience is a death warrant.

Good luck to all in the path of Ian.

Chuck
26 likes   
Although I have been a hurricane forecaster since 1980 that only means I've been wrong lots of times.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#4611 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:39 am

kevin wrote:Recon is back, they survived. Near the western side of Ian now:

https://i.imgur.com/t8HMo3G.png

They're done with the mission, can't blame them after that.
4 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

RevanTheJedi96
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4612 Postby RevanTheJedi96 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:40 am

They should just call Ian a CAT 5 by now
11 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#4613 Postby kevin » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:40 am

Visible of Ian right now:

10 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#4614 Postby aspen » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:41 am

This just keeps getting better and better defined. The eye is clearing and the storm is a lot more symmetrical than a few hours ago, when it still had overshooting cloud tops. Never would I have thought we'd potentially get a landfalling Cat 5 out of Ian, but I was worried about the potential for a Michael-like RI until landfall...and my worries were valid.
9 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

MEANINGLESS_NUMBERS
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4615 Postby MEANINGLESS_NUMBERS » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:41 am

RevanTheJedi96 wrote:They should just call Ian a CAT 5 by now

I haven't seen any data to support that
1 likes   

MBryant
Category 1
Category 1

#4616 Postby MBryant » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:41 am

If the "stall" remains in place, does upwelling begin to affect Ian? I believe the Gulf is relatively shallow where it now sits. But PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
2 likes   
Living at the intersection of Rita and Humberto and Ike and Harvey and Laura and Delta!

This post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological products.

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#4617 Postby Kazmit » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:41 am

Is this gonna be like Michael where we have to rely on ground observations for the cat 5 upgrade? :eek:
8 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#4618 Postby cycloneye » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:41 am

eastcoastFL wrote:

God no. I hope not. I saw it had lost altitude for a minute but nothing crazy like that...I hope.

Air Force plane is flying and going to make another pass shortly.
9 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#4619 Postby LarryWx » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:42 am

From 24.6 N, 82.9 W at 10 PM to 26.1 N, 82.7 W at 9 AM. So, this was a move of only 0.2 east vs 1.5 north the last 11 hours. This equates to an average direction of movement of only 7 degrees vs the 15 degrees that the NHC has been saying. Compared to the 11 PM NHC forecast, it is now 15 miles due west of that projected track point. That may not seem like much, but that makes a significant difference regarding landfall point due to the angle of the FL west coast relative to the direction of movement.
Last edited by LarryWx on Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#4620 Postby ronjon » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:42 am

Sanibel wrote:Gulf stream juice creates fully presented category 5 appearance...Slow grinding turn looks like it might be happening...National Hurricane Center says 18 foot surge possible...House is toast...

Sanibel, I know you've been a long time S2K poster and know about that sick feeling you get when its certain you might have major damage to your home. My thoughts and prayers to you and the many others that will suffer much hardship as a result of this storm.
16 likes   

Return to “2022”