ATL: IAN - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

chris_fit
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IAN - Models

#2721 Postby chris_fit » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:38 am

06Z EPS, following the OPs, Significant W Shift!

0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2722 Postby Ivanhater » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:40 am

That stall allows the NW hook before landfall instead of happening inland. That will be key
1 likes   
Michael

chris_fit
Category 5
Category 5

#2723 Postby chris_fit » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:43 am

Ivanhater wrote:That stall allows the NW hook before landfall instead of happening inland. That will be key

It's wayyy early too, but need to start paying attention to how Ian tracks in the near term. Small Sample size, but he's staying on the right side of the NHC Track so far.
4 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2724 Postby jlauderdal » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:46 am

chris_fit wrote:
Ivanhater wrote:That stall allows the NW hook before landfall instead of happening inland. That will be key

It's wayyy early too, but need to start paying attention to how Ian tracks in the near term. Small Sample size, but he's staying on the right side of the NHC Track so far.

Ian is digesting the latest euro ensembles and is figuring out do I stay right or start a move left..so much for euro consistency.
0 likes   

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

#2725 Postby Steve H. » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:46 am

Well, I for one am somewhat relieved as the path further west would allow the shear to knock it down strength wise. And I have a flight out of Melbourne to Pittsburgh on Friday. But a stall would not be good. I remember Elena back in 1986 I think it was, brought havic on the gulf coast with tornadoes in the west counties of Florida. Not a good scenario.
0 likes   

capepoint
Category 1
Category 1

#2726 Postby capepoint » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:47 am

CronkPSU wrote:i mean the GFS has been ALL OVER the place the last 4 days...easy to give it credit because one of them has to be right eventually lol...GFS can put it into Sanibel or Destin next run and neither would surprise me or to see it laser in on somewhere now and be right

Even the blind squirrel stumbles across a nut once in a while...lol
0 likes   
Ginger-(eye),Dennis,Diana,Kate,Gloria,Charley-(eye),Allison,Arthur,Bertha,Fran,Josephine,Bonnie,Earl,Dennis-(twice),Floyd, Isabel-(eye),Charley,Ophelia-(eyewall),Ernesto,Barry,Hanna,Irene-(eye),Arthur-(eye), Florence, Dorian, and countless depressions, storms, and nor'easters.

redingtonbeach
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2727 Postby redingtonbeach » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:52 am

skyline385 wrote:
tolakram wrote:Once again, no matter how much we doubt it, and I was a doubter, the GFS simply does better in this area. It's crazy, but it also hasn't happened yet, so I still have lingering doubts. Euro consistency is meaningless in my opinion.

GFS was also the first to see the stall/slowdown, I remember when so many folks were very insistent that a stall isn't possible in the Gulf in late September

Last Friday (00Z?), the GFS had a stall on the east coast (Melbourne?) and the Canadian had the stall on the west coast (St. Pete?). In fact, the Canadian's Friday model is pretty close to the Euro's path today, if I'm remembering all these models correctly.
0 likes   

cane5
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2728 Postby cane5 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:56 am

Do most models call for the rapid intensification to happen as of now we are seeing dry air in the system ? Or do some models negate the rapid intensification phase ?
Last edited by cane5 on Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2729 Postby jlauderdal » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:56 am

redingtonbeach wrote:
skyline385 wrote:
tolakram wrote:Once again, no matter how much we doubt it, and I was a doubter, the GFS simply does better in this area. It's crazy, but it also hasn't happened yet, so I still have lingering doubts. Euro consistency is meaningless in my opinion.

GFS was also the first to see the stall/slowdown, I remember when so many folks were very insistent that a stall isn't possible in the Gulf in late September

Last Friday (00Z?), the GFS had a stall on the east coast (Melbourne?) and the Canadian had the stall on the west coast (St. Pete?). In fact, the Canadian's Friday model is pretty close to the Euro's path today, if I'm remembering all these models correctly.

The GFS and CMC moved around points in the gulf, when you have that kind of spread your chances of nailing the landfall point increase considerably.
2 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#2730 Postby otowntiger » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:05 am

Seems as if rapid intensification has not started. Or if it had, perhaps now paused. I wonder if the current ‘leveling off’ in terms of intensification will prompt a lowering of the predicted strength in this up coming advisory?
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#2731 Postby Category5Kaiju » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:14 am

otowntiger wrote:Seems as if rapid intensification has not started. Or if it had, perhaps now paused. I wonder if the current ‘leveling off’ in terms of intensification will prompt a lowering of the predicted strength in this up coming advisory?

I personally doubt it. I think the logic is that this region of the Atlantic is just so primed and favorable for strong storms, and with wind shear still being quite low I am not sure why the NHC would have any strong reason to lower intensity level predictions.
2 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

cane5
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2732 Postby cane5 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:14 am

Wow that German model was really spot on. Can anyone update that model ?
1 likes   

Tailgater33
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2733 Postby Tailgater33 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:15 am

I’m not in the firing line for this one thankfully, so as a unbiased observer I’d like to point out these models DO NOT have a mind of their own they simply take the data fed into them and compute it as we (programmers) designed them to.
The Data isn’t always perfect and it does change. This storm is obviously headed to an area of weaker than normal steering currents. I know you want all the models to define an area and tell you exactly what to prepare for but small deviations make for a larger than normal forecast spread.
Have a plan and don’t be that guy or girl that…..
1 likes   

jfk08c
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2734 Postby jfk08c » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:18 am

Category5Kaiju wrote:
otowntiger wrote:Seems as if rapid intensification has not started. Or if it had, perhaps now paused. I wonder if the current ‘leveling off’ in terms of intensification will prompt a lowering of the predicted strength in this up coming advisory?

I personally doubt it. I think the logic is that this region of the Atlantic is just so primed and favorable for strong storms, and with wind shear still being quite low I am not sure why the NHC would have any strong reason to lower intensity level predictions.

Ill also add that lowering intensity now would cause people to take this storm even less seriously. There are already plenty of complacent people in Florida thinking it won't do much so lowering the intensity forecast would just breed more complacency. Not the best move
2 likes   

skillz305
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2735 Postby skillz305 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:20 am

Is it me or are more of the models showing a crossing central Florida track? Per 12z model track guidance
1 likes   
:flag:Hurricanes: Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Katrina 2005 - Wilma 2005 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

p1nheadlarry
Category 2
Category 2

#2736 Postby p1nheadlarry » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:20 am

jlauderdal wrote:
redingtonbeach wrote:
skyline385 wrote:

The GFS and CMC moved around points in the gulf, when you have that kind of spread your chances of nailing the landfall point increase considerably.

It is possible to have the same solution over and over again and still be wrong
4 likes   
--;->#GoNoles--;->.

karenfromheaven
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2737 Postby karenfromheaven » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:24 am

chris_fit wrote:06Z EPS, following the OPs, Significant W Shift!

https://i.imgur.com/C7GxRmn.png

Looks like the GEFS now. The rightmost tracks feel the pull from the low. The earlier GEFS right tracks mirrored the Euro quite closely. The center and left tracks see the door to the low slammed shut, and feel the high over CONUS slowing and blocking them. The GFS operational would have been closer to the Euro if the left hand tracks had been discarded.
1 likes   

cane5
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2738 Postby cane5 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:25 am

skillz305 wrote:Is it me or are more of the models showing a crossing central Florida track? Per 12z model track guidance

Sorry for the ignorance is 12z the German model ?
1 likes   

CronkPSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2739 Postby CronkPSU » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:28 am

p1nheadlarry wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:
redingtonbeach wrote:

It is possible to have the same solution over and over again and still be wrong

as my wife likes to remind me!!!
4 likes   
Just like Jon Snow..."I know nothing" except what I know, and most of what I know is gathered by the fine people of the NHC

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2740 Postby Blown Away » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:42 am

06z GFS... 72 Hours
06z EURO... 72 Hours

Finally, the Euro is W of the GFS... Now we can start complaining the Euro has a west bias... j/k :D
7 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Return to “2022”