ATL: IAN - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

chris_fit
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IAN - Models

#1701 Postby chris_fit » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:08 am

06z EPS coming in pretty W of earlier runs i think... Concentrated between SW FL and big bend.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1702 Postby NDG » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:13 am

12z SHIPS still giving it high chances for rapid intensification in the next 72 hours :double:

SHIPS Prob RI for 65kt/ 72hr RI threshold= 67% is 12.6 times climatological mean ( 5.3%)
3 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1703 Postby NDG » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:22 am

chris_fit wrote:06z EPS coming in pretty W of earlier runs i think... Concentrated between SW FL and big bend.

So its earlier run they were concentrated just south of Tampa, sounds like they are now concentrated near Tampa?
2 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1704 Postby toad strangler » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:27 am

mantis83 wrote:south florida force field holding strong..... :lol:

Shields Up! lol

So it looks like the more N & W solutions likely will be sheared messes so the Eastern peninsula likely to see weather regardless.
3 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1705 Postby NDG » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:39 am

Here are the 06z EPS ensembles. Bulls eye near Tampa Bay if not a little south of it.

0 likes   

Category6
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1706 Postby Category6 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:47 am

I know we’re still about 4 days out, but is it safe to assume that SE FL (specifically Miami and Fort Lauderdale) are out of the woods? Seems like the worst possible outcome here would be some feeder bands containing TS force wind gusts.
1 likes   

CronkPSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1707 Postby CronkPSU » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:52 am

Category6 wrote:I know we’re still about 4 days out, but is it safe to assume that SE FL (specifically Miami and Fort Lauderdale) are out of the woods? Seems like the worst possible outcome here would be some feeder bands containing TS force wind gusts.

Not at all…would not put your guard down til we get a real center and models figure out that trough but I would feel a lot better than I did three days ago
3 likes   
Just like Jon Snow..."I know nothing" except what I know, and most of what I know is gathered by the fine people of the NHC

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1708 Postby toad strangler » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:13 am

Not often you see this! Wanting more time over the GOM waters to help tear Ian apart. In line with what wxman57 was saying this morning about the probable unfavorable upper environment the further west it goes.

http://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1573671250005630976

0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#1709 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:32 am

I hear lots of talk about shear, but if this is a cat 3 or higher coming into the GOM, shear is not going to be much help. Look at Fiona which endured much higher shear than is forecast possibly for Ian almost throughout and maintained as a Cat 4. Strong storms create their own environment many times. Don't put much hope into shear causing much weakening if this is a strong cat 3 into the gulf.
5 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Michele B
Category 4
Category 4

#1710 Postby Michele B » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:33 am

kevin wrote:Based purely on a gut instinct I feel like the windshield wiping has reached its peak now and we'll see slight east shifts in the next model runs. This is partially based on the fact that the Euro showed the SW center relocation and still went quite far east with respect to the other models. If so a Tampa landfall sounds like a possible scenario. But in its short life so far Ian has been one of the most difficult storms to track this season so there's still a lot of uncertainty.

But even TWC mets are "warning" of shifts more to the west. I think they're setting up to adjust the cone westward a bit.
3 likes   
Cleo - 1964, Betsy - 1965, David - 1979, Andrew - 1992, Charlie (Francis, Ivan, Jeanne) - 2004, Irma - 2017, Ian - 2022

Michele B
Category 4
Category 4

#1711 Postby Michele B » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:35 am

Category6 wrote:I know we’re still about 4 days out, but is it safe to assume that SE FL (specifically Miami and Fort Lauderdale) are out of the woods? Seems like the worst possible outcome here would be some feeder bands containing TS force wind gusts.

At least until a storm is north of your latitude do you EVER think about ruling anything out.
9 likes   
Cleo - 1964, Betsy - 1965, David - 1979, Andrew - 1992, Charlie (Francis, Ivan, Jeanne) - 2004, Irma - 2017, Ian - 2022

Michele B
Category 4
Category 4

#1712 Postby Michele B » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:38 am

ScottNAtlanta wrote:I hear lots of talk about shear, but if this is a cat 3 or higher coming into the GOM, shear is not going to be much help. Look at Fiona which endured much higher shear than is forecast possibly for Ian almost throughout and maintained as a Cat 4. Strong storms create their own environment many times. Don't put much hope into shear causing much weakening if this is a strong cat 3 into the gulf.

I got the sense that the weakening trend many are mentioning is because of the very strong cold front (and accompanying drier air) ready to dive into the south and GoM.
1 likes   

FLWeatherX
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#1713 Postby FLWeatherX » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:49 am

Michele B wrote:
kevin wrote:Based purely on a gut instinct I feel like the windshield wiping has reached its peak now and we'll see slight east shifts in the next model runs. This is partially based on the fact that the Euro showed the SW center relocation and still went quite far east with respect to the other models. If so a Tampa landfall sounds like a possible scenario. But in its short life so far Ian has been one of the most difficult storms to track this season so there's still a lot of uncertainty.

But even TWC mets are "warning" of shifts more to the west. I think they're setting up to adjust the cone westward a bit.

Setting up the cone westward but not the track necessarily. Maybe slightly north near Tampa. 5pm update will really be important
1 likes   

verruckt
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1714 Postby verruckt » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:54 am

CronkPSU wrote:

Not at all…would not put your guard down til we get a real center and models figure out that trough but I would feel a lot better than I did three days ago

This.

Models are just doing their usual back and forth at 5 days. Assuming you're "all clear" because a model moved off in 12 hours doesn't mean you're "all clear". Especially when sufficient recon data has not been ingested - it's wishcasting.

Look at the cone. All of FL is still within the 5 day window. Don't let your guard down, because you're being given ample time to prepare.

No one really knows yet where it will go in Florida at this point, and being a native Floridian who has gone through a few, this could change at any moment.
7 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1715 Postby jlauderdal » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:55 am

FLWeatherX wrote:
Michele B wrote:

Setting up the cone westward but not the track necessarily. Maybe slightly north near Tampa. 5pm update will really be important

The cone follows the track, they don't set the cone, they set the track and the cone is nothing more than error over the last 5 years.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutcone.shtml
2 likes   

FLWeatherX
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#1716 Postby FLWeatherX » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:59 am

verruckt wrote:
CronkPSU wrote:

This.

Models are just doing their usual back and forth at 5 days. Assuming you're "all clear" because a model moved off in 12 hours doesn't mean you're "all clear". Especially when sufficient recon data has not been ingested - it's wishcasting.

Look at the cone. All of FL is still within the 5 day window. Don't let your guard down, because you're being given ample time to prepare.

No one really knows yet where it will go in Florida at this point, and being a native Floridian who has gone through a few, this could change at any moment.

Great example is Charley. Supposed to hit Tampa but went south because it got stronger. Honestly feel like anything going north can eventually end up back south and East. Just have to watch and see.
2 likes   

FLWeatherX
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#1717 Postby FLWeatherX » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:00 am

jlauderdal wrote:
FLWeatherX wrote:
Michele B wrote:

The cone follows the track, they don't set the cone, they set the track and the cone is nothing more than error over the last 5 years.

Yeah, just meant they could change track slightly north. Wobbles are going to happen 5 days out. Tonight’s Euro run is key if this west trend is real.
1 likes   

Beachside
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1718 Postby Beachside » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:01 am

Michele B wrote:

At least until a storm is north of your latitude do you EVER think about ruling anything out.

Of course that is usually true...but Jeanne back in '04 fooled me...did a loop d loop out in the Atlantic and came darn near right at me.
3 likes   

jfk08c
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1719 Postby jfk08c » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:03 am

Small bump north from the NHC. Now just north of Tampa Bay
3 likes   

pcolaman
Category 1
Category 1

#1720 Postby pcolaman » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:06 am

jlauderdal wrote:
FLWeatherX wrote:
Michele B wrote:

People get hyped up when the cone hits them and that's reasonable. But like you said the cone of error for 4 to 5 days out could have major impacts down the road for anyone in the cone. Storm is just getting it's act together and if the storm is south of you, you watch an prepare for a storm. Putting trust in one model is always not the best of ideas but to take the majority of the models and cone of error is probably your best bet. There will always be model wars and speculation of where the storm goes. Just be prepared to have the safest plans in place just in case.
3 likes   

Return to “2022”