ATL: BERYL - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4894
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:40 am
Location: Northern California

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4241 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:50 pm

Beryl still did quite a bit of damage even as a Cat 1 storm....
Not much tropical wave wise right now. I think it will be quiet until August. I know that many thought that because of Beryl that this season would be getting an early start, but as you look over the Atlantic right now, you'll have your evidence as to why that is false. But by the middle of August things SHOULD start getting busy again.
1 likes   

Pipelines182
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:46 am

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4242 Postby Pipelines182 » Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:52 pm

ConvergenceZone wrote:Beryl still did quite a bit of damage even as a Cat 1 storm....
Not much tropical wave wise right now. I think it will be quiet until August. I know that many thought that because of Beryl that this season would be getting an early start, but as you look over the Atlantic right now, you'll have your evidence as to why that is false. But by the middle of August things SHOULD start getting busy again.



I remember thinking that a few days before Beryl formed
3 likes   

User avatar
Kohlecane
Category 2
Category 2
Posts: 570
Age: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:03 pm
Location: Beaufort, SC

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4243 Postby Kohlecane » Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:04 pm

Quite impressive tornado risk with Beryl, some of these signatures and CC are a bit scary for a tropical system
3 likes   
Once I see the REDS and GREENS Converge on a Base Velocity. ... I'm There!!

This is NOT an Official Forecast....Just my Opinion. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
HIGHLIGHTS : '13 El Reno Tornado : 2013 Storm Chaser Tour, Joaquin; SC flood event, Matthew '16, Lowcountry Snow storm Jan '18

tolakram
Admin
Admin
Posts: 19440
Age: 61
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: Florence, KY (name is Mark)

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4244 Postby tolakram » Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:10 pm

11 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

User avatar
ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4894
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:40 am
Location: Northern California

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4245 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:13 pm

Pipelines182 wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:Beryl still did quite a bit of damage even as a Cat 1 storm....
Not much tropical wave wise right now. I think it will be quiet until August. I know that many thought that because of Beryl that this season would be getting an early start, but as you look over the Atlantic right now, you'll have your evidence as to why that is false. But by the middle of August things SHOULD start getting busy again.



I remember thinking that a few days before Beryl formed


But before Beryl formed there was already quite a bit of tropical activity with a couple of impressive waves etc... It's very normal for July to be quiet, so the quietness we are seeing now is what is expected for July, and so there's really no reason to expect this July to be any different than normal.
1 likes   

User avatar
weeniepatrol
Category 4
Category 4
Posts: 938
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:30 pm
Location: WA State

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4246 Postby weeniepatrol » Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:14 pm

Pipelines182 wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:Beryl still did quite a bit of damage even as a Cat 1 storm....
Not much tropical wave wise right now. I think it will be quiet until August. I know that many thought that because of Beryl that this season would be getting an early start, but as you look over the Atlantic right now, you'll have your evidence as to why that is false. But by the middle of August things SHOULD start getting busy again.


I remember thinking that a few days before Beryl formed



There was a mjo event that had just crossed the Atlantic prior to beryl, though. Thats why the Atlantic monsoon trough was so beefy. Current mjo is now suppressive as the enhanced phase orbits over the pacific.


CyclonicFury over the indicators thread did note that eps shows a Kelvin wave crossing the Atlantic in mid July, with rising air returning to the mdr and Africa. So, we will see if that verifies and if it’s enough to overcome the broader mjo suppressed phase
2 likes   

User avatar
Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1978
Age: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:49 am
Location: Bermuda

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4247 Postby Kazmit » Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:23 pm


It looked better 6 hours after landfall than it did 6 hours before landfall. Crazy.
3 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:29 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4248 Postby SconnieCane » Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:58 pm

In that radar loop you can see how the inner band basically evolves into a squall line with multiple embedded cells; and out ahead of that the next band becomes a broken line of individual convective cells. Hence why Beryl has proven such an efficient tornado producer.
3 likes   

LARanger
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:45 pm

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4249 Postby LARanger » Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:05 pm

weeniepatrol wrote:There was a mjo event that had just crossed the Atlantic prior to beryl, though. Thats why the Atlantic monsoon trough was so beefy. Current mjo is now suppressive as the enhanced phase orbits over the pacific.

CyclonicFury over the indicators thread did note that eps shows a Kelvin wave crossing the Atlantic in mid July, with rising air returning to the mdr and Africa. So, we will see if that verifies and if it’s enough to overcome the broader mjo suppressed phase


Ah, good jargon for me to try to ingest. It hit me like Saharan dust at first but let's see if I can get spun up to speed anyway.

Madden–Julian oscillation (MJO):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php? ... fonly=true

Crap, there's more jargon (and I mean that non-pejoratively) in there. Modons, geostrophic adjustments, diabatic whatzits . . . but suffice it to say (to oversimplify and likely butcher it) that it's a cyclical-ish scenario of 'updraft' and 'downdraft' conditions that is usually more an Indian and East Pacific phenomenon, but with some effect on the Atlantic as these atmospheric oscillations move eastward. The 'updraft' phase is more conducive to stormy weather, the 'downdraft' less so, and a tropical disturbance (and especially a cyclone that lives on 'updraft') would thus hopefully have a harder time forming against a 'downdraft' environment. Would 'negative vertical shear' be a decent layman's descriptor?

Kelvin wave:

Okay, that one's easier.

Main Development Region (MDR)

Even easier . . . just wasn't familiar with the acronym version.

Thanks!
2 likes   
Baton Rouge area cyclone dilettante, PSWAGGER* tropical weather & hydrology model developer
(* Pseudo-Scientific Wild-A** Guesses Generally Expressed Ridiculously)
The GFDL would've had all this figured out by now.

Michele B
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:08 am
Location: SWFL

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4250 Postby Michele B » Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:15 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:Wow, for a Category 1 storm, there seems to have been quite some damage done. Rapidly intensifying systems really do pack a punch compared to weakening systems. I’m starting to wonder if this may have a billion dollar damage amount in the CONUS alone when it’s all said and done. Wishing the best to everyone affected by this storm in Texas.


From beginning to end, this storm OVERperformed.

One for the books, that's for sure.

With as much damage as I've listened to and seen on TWC, can you imagine if this was a stronger storm? I don't wanna think about that.

And it's only the first week of July - smh
3 likes   
Cleo - 1964, Betsy - 1965, David - 1979, Andrew - 1992, Charlie (Francis, Ivan, Jeanne) - 2004, Irma - 2017, Ian - 2022

User avatar
ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4894
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:40 am
Location: Northern California

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4251 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:45 pm

Michele B wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:Wow, for a Category 1 storm, there seems to have been quite some damage done. Rapidly intensifying systems really do pack a punch compared to weakening systems. I’m starting to wonder if this may have a billion dollar damage amount in the CONUS alone when it’s all said and done. Wishing the best to everyone affected by this storm in Texas.


From beginning to end, this storm OVERperformed.

One for the books, that's for sure.

With as much damage as I've listened to and seen on TWC, can you imagine if this was a stronger storm? I don't wanna think about that.

And it's only the first week of July - smh



Yea I was watching the weather channel and saw that as well. More damage than I expected actually. Thank God it's quiet now and probably will be until we get into August.
0 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1681
Age: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4252 Postby bob rulz » Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:03 pm

There's still 3 weeks left in July. Not sure why people are so certain that things will be quiet for the rest of the month.
3 likes   

User avatar
ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4894
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:40 am
Location: Northern California

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4253 Postby ConvergenceZone » Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:11 pm

bob rulz wrote:There's still 3 weeks left in July. Not sure why people are so certain that things will be quiet for the rest of the month.


probably due to climatology. Sure you can get one off's like Beryl, but "normally" July is a quiet month. Heck I remember years when we made it to the end of August with not much activity at all and then it got going really quickly all the sudden..
0 likes   

ljmac75
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:30 am

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4254 Postby ljmac75 » Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:26 pm

I've got a few questions for everyone:
Will Beryl's peak intensity be adjusted post-season?
Will Beryl's Texas landfall intensity be adjusted post-season?
Will major adjustments be made to Beryl's intensity outside of the peak and Texas landfall?
Will the name be retired?
Will this be the worst hurricane this season?
I'll say yes, no, no, yes, no.
5 likes   

User avatar
Xyls
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:48 pm
Location: New Brunswick, Canada

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4255 Postby Xyls » Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:35 pm

Kohlecane wrote:Quite impressive tornado risk with Beryl, some of these signatures and CC are a bit scary for a tropical system


Some of this tornado activity has been crazy this may become one of the largest tornado outbreaks associated with a hurricane and some of these looked STRONG.
0 likes   
Not a professional meteorologist. Please refer to NHC forecasts for official information/advice relating to tropical systems.

FrontRunner
Tropical Low
Tropical Low
Posts: 49
Age: 40
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: Westchester, NY

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4256 Postby FrontRunner » Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:52 pm

This isn't based on a lot of analysis, but:

Will Beryl's peak intensity be adjusted post-season? No. It was borderline 145 kts vs. 150 kts, so I think they'll stick with 145.
Will Beryl's Texas landfall intensity be adjusted post-season? I'll go with yes, they'll ultimately bump up to 75 kts based on continued organization and surface obs.
Will major adjustments be made to Beryl's intensity outside of the peak and Texas landfall? Not major, but I think they'll nudge down some of the wind speeds in the NW Caribbean. For example, I could see the Yucatan landfall being only 90 kts rather than 95 kts.
Will the name be retired? Yes, due to the Windward Island impacts only.
Will this be the worst hurricane this season? Worst in what way? I'll go with highest wind, not lowest pressure, not worst damages or deaths.
I'll say yes, no, no, yes, no.
0 likes   

Anti-freeze
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:26 pm

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4257 Postby Anti-freeze » Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:25 pm

Seeing claims that Beryl is getting close to Top 5 for hurricanes that produced the most tornadoes. Claim of 56 so far, 5th place is 61. But I don't know if that Top 5 stat is confirmed tornadoes or tor warns.
0 likes   

User avatar
Hurricane2022
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:38 pm
Location: Araçatuba, Brazil

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4258 Postby Hurricane2022 » Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:41 pm

ljmac75 wrote:I've got a few questions for everyone:
Will Beryl's peak intensity be adjusted post-season?
Will Beryl's Texas landfall intensity be adjusted post-season?
Will major adjustments be made to Beryl's intensity outside of the peak and Texas landfall?
Will the name be retired?
Will this be the worst hurricane this season?
I'll say yes, no, no, yes, no.

I - Yes. The intensity peak is likely to be adjusted upwards, from 145 to 150 kts, based on the 164 kt FL and 165 kt SMFR readings revealed by recon at the intensity peak.

II - Possibly yes. In this case it would be adjusted upwards, from 70 to 75 kts.

III - Probably yes. Even if turbulent, I believe that the intensity of the landfall in Yucatan will be changed from 95 to 90 kts. It's not much either.

IV - Yes. The damage caused to the Windward Islands is more than enough to retire Beryl permanently. But if it is not enough, the damage seen in Jamaica, Mexico and Texas will probably be.

V - Unfortunately, I don't think so. The season started just a month and a half ago. Apparently, we have a few more things to bear in the coming months.

So, i'd say Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, No.
1 likes   
Sorry for the bad English sometimes...!
For reliable and detailed information for any meteorological phenomenon, please consult the National Hurricane Center, Joint Typhoon Warning Center , or your local Meteo Center.

--------

Una cvm Christo, pro Christo, et in Christo. Sit nomen Domini benedictvm.

SecondBreakfast
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:14 am
Location: NYC/LI

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4259 Postby SecondBreakfast » Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:44 pm

Beryl’s “tail” looks nasty

0 likes   
Biologist by training, weather enthusiast for life.

utweather
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: SE Austin, TX

Re: ATL: BERYL - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#4260 Postby utweather » Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:04 pm

Nothing for Austin. I didnt expect the deluge that was forecasted 3 days ago, but I thought we would get something today to help with the upcoming heat wave.
0 likes   


Return to “2024”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests