No political posts!

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

No political posts!

#1 Postby southerngale » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:12 pm

Since some of our longtime members tend to forget that the political forum was closed 4 years ago and we haven't allowed political posts since, as well as some newcomers that may have missed it in the rules, political posts are not allowed on Storm2k.

If it's strictly newsworthy (so and so hospitalized for such and such, etc.), it will be allowed. If you stray from strictly news, you will receive a warning. Repeat offenders will receive a suspension.

You, the members, can help us out. If you see a questionable post, please click on the Report this post button (red exclamation point) and report the post. We'll take it from there.

Thank you,
Storm2k Staff
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re: No political posts!

#2 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:14 pm

Not even British/European Union politics. I learned that just the other day.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby mf_dolphin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:10 pm

No political posts means just that. The bottom line is that these types of posts do nothing to improve our sense of community and do everything to create divides. We tried the political forum and we still have people with hard feelings from the experience. This site was formed with the intent of helping people help each other. We have enough anger in this world and I see no reason for S2K to contribute to the mess.
0 likes   

Jack8631
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Jack8631 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:28 am

Please excuse me if I am out of line. I don't stop by as often as I should. By all political posts..would that not include the nuclear standoffs in Iran and North Korea? Internationally, it doesn't get much more political then that. I was under the assumption the political post ban was due to some hard feelings over American politics.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#5 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:53 am

Jack8631 wrote:Please excuse me if I am out of line. I don't stop by as often as I should. By all political posts..would that not include the nuclear standoffs in Iran and North Korea? Internationally, it doesn't get much more political then that. I was under the assumption the political post ban was due to some hard feelings over American politics.

Those two threads are about the news of those situations, not the politics of the situation. It is very difficult to keep it on the fine line we have set up, and some do stray too far and are "dealt" with, but overall those two threads have stayed away from the "politicial" that caused us the problems in the first place. I understand where you are coming from and always feel free to question at STORM2K as long as it is done in a respectful manner.
0 likes   

WeatherLovingDoc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby WeatherLovingDoc » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:34 pm

I apologize then for contributing to the ongoing Iran/NK discussion. I had this hazy memory of Stephanie's post, then when the thread continued thought perhaps it was o.k. For that matter I think the H1N1 thread may be similarly viewed as political given it's global yet controversial nature (threat, cover-ups, treatments).

After all, this is a weather site. But it's just been so quiet.... :layout:

Maybe we'll get some action soon.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#7 Postby southerngale » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:49 pm

No need to apologize for posting in existing threads. Basically, we try to allow the discussion of current events, but not allow those discussions to get political. When the tone becomes insulting or disrespectful, or left vs. right, etc., then it's crossed the line. It's not always black and white and some posts are borderline... we look at context, intent of the poster, etc. and try to make the right call.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:01 pm

Definitely no need to apologize for posting in any thread as long as you stay within the S2K parameters for posting. Believe me, we will let you know when you have overstepped the "bounds of decency". Most important to us here is good open discussion in a factual and respectful manner. ANYONE is more than welcome to disagree with ANYONE on this site. All we ask is that it be done with respect. Unfortunately, for those of a political bent, it was proved out that not everyone was able to stay within the "bounds of decency" when it came to political values being discussed and the staff had to spend way to much time policing those threads and couldn't even find time to enjoy the site.
Ok, I expound more than I need to so I will stop.
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby abajan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:43 pm

To my knowledge, members wanting to vent on political matters can go to the links that were posted by S2K admins some time ago.
0 likes   

Shuriken
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby Shuriken » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:19 pm

The very first thread I saw in the forum was "HELP PREVENT NWS BUDGET CUTS!!!!", which is obviously political. For example, libertarians who think it ought to be privatized would find that thread in conjunction with this one to be, eh, let's choose the word ironic. :cheesy:
vbhoutex wrote:By our standards it is not political. Otherwise it wouldn't be allowed.
Anyone and everyone who thinks they deserve a cut of the federal loot pie can make exactly the same urgent claim of need as NWS-supporters do. Any scramble for government money is expressly political in every sense of the word.
Last edited by Shuriken on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#11 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:21 am

By our standards it is not political. Otherwise it wouldn't be allowed.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Return to “Off Topic”