Weather channel to show... more WEATHER

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Weather channel to show... more WEATHER

#1 Postby Alyono » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:49 am

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/09/media/w ... -champion/

the reality shows are going to be going away, with a focus on the weather coming back
0 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Weather channel to show... more WEATHER

#2 Postby Kalrany » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:50 am

Wow, what a concept. Whatever made them think of it?
0 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:33 am

Oh my gosh...next thing you know.. MTV will show videos all the time.....
0 likes   

Kalrany
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4 Postby Kalrany » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:48 pm

Tireman4 wrote:Oh my gosh...next thing you know.. MTV will show videos all the time.....

you mean..... about MUSIC??? that might be a bit too far at this point...
0 likes   
TOTAL NOVICE. The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Lansing MI, Galveston TX, Madison WI, Houston TX, Newark DE

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Kalrany wrote:
Tireman4 wrote:Oh my gosh...next thing you know.. MTV will show videos all the time.....

you mean..... about MUSIC??? that might be a bit too far at this point...

Yeah, what was I thinking....whew..
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Frank2 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:11 pm

TWC's ratings continued to erode, also due to WN and AW - locally I have WN and TWC, but find WN more enjoyable to watch, even if most of it is taped.

TWC needs to also improve their graphics, which hit a low water mark during Danny - most of their maps were so small as to be unreadable (TWC seems to think everyone owns a 60" or larger screen).

What ruined TWC? Several corporate takeovers, combined with the mentality of having to "reinvent themselves" every few years, left it what it is today - not even worthy as a shadow of its former self...

Shows like "Fat Man In The Woods" and "Prospectors" were supposed to attract viewers, but what kind, other than the family and friends of the shows reality "stars"...

P.S. If it not for Dr. Greg Forbes, TWC would be even further behind - they need to hire meteorology majors, not model-journalists who had a few courses in weather...
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm just happy they're attempting to fix things by dumping the reality shows
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby angelwing » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:26 am

About time!
0 likes   
Agnes 72, Gloria 85, Floyd 99, Irene 2011, TS Lee 2012, Sandy 2012

TexasStooge
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby TexasStooge » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:00 am

They should've done that a long time ago. Glad they're turning things back around.
0 likes   
Weather Enthusiast since 1991.
- Facebook
- Twitter

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#10 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:51 pm

Since IBM now owns them it should be interesting to see what happens. Based on reports I've read IBM has access to the most weather data in the world on many levels. We shall see.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:06 pm

Frank2 wrote:TWC's ratings continued to erode, also due to WN and AW - locally I have WN and TWC, but find WN more enjoyable to watch, even if most of it is taped.

TWC needs to also improve their graphics, which hit a low water mark during Danny - most of their maps were so small as to be unreadable (TWC seems to think everyone owns a 60" or larger screen).

What ruined TWC? Several corporate takeovers, combined with the mentality of having to "reinvent themselves" every few years, left it what it is today - not even worthy as a shadow of its former self...

Shows like "Fat Man In The Woods" and "Prospectors" were supposed to attract viewers, but what kind, other than the family and friends of the shows reality "stars"...

P.S. If it not for Dr. Greg Forbes, TWC would be even further behind - they need to hire meteorology majors, not model-journalists who had a few courses in weather...

:uarrow: Amen!! Amen!! Amen!!! Preach on!!! The Weather Channel is simply a complete joke now. It is not even a shell of its former self!

I miss the old days of the Weather Channel so much. The era of watching the late John Hope, during the 80s and 90s were truly the best days of the TWC when they actually had real ,competent true blood meterologists on air and when they were all about weather.

Now, I just don't bother to watch it anytime anymore. Dr. Steve Lyons, before he left for the NWS job in Texas, was excellent and Dr. Greg Forbes and Bryan Norcross are the only real good pros left on that network. Cantore has made his living being the face of TWC, but his schtick has worn on me enough, and thanks to the power of money and greed from NBC taking them over, they have totally dismantled TWC. Heck, I watch Weather Nation more on TV to track weather.

The golden era and best days of the TWC ended as soon as John Hope had passed away and the other competent pros saw the writing on the wall and left, although the TWC let a lot of people go during the past decade (ala the NBC takeover). No matter what they do from here on, they will never, ever get back to that level of the 80s and 90s.

Simply put, I am not anticipating much too drastically turn that network around.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Return to “Off Topic”