How old were you when you first got into the tropics or just weather in general?

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

How old were you when you first got into the tropics or just weather in general?

#1 Postby Ryxn » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:15 pm

Let's discuss. For me it was 8 years ago during the time of Hurricane Sandy that I started to track the tropics religiously. I was 12. Boy was I disappointed the year after..... :roll:

2013.....sigh
4 likes   

Homie J
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: How old were you when you first got into the tropics or just weather in general?

#2 Postby Homie J » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:53 pm

Ryxn wrote:Let's discuss. For me it was 8 years ago during the time of Hurricane Sandy that I started to track the tropics religiously. I was 12. Boy was I disappointed the year after..... :roll:

2013.....sigh

2012 after Sandy was when I also started tracking hurricanes. 2013 was a disappointment for 7 year old me for watching hurricanes. Admittedly most of my tracking up until 2017 was watching TWC.
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: How old were you when you first got into the tropics or just weather in general?

#3 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:00 pm

I have always been interested in weather. Specifically severe weather/tornadoes considering where I'm at (NE OK) tornadoes will always be my #1 in terms of tracking weather but the tropics is a close second. I didn't start tracking the tropics until 2015, when Bill came over my area still as a TD, which I thought was pretty cool. I was 14 then
Last edited by ElectricStorm on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby AutoPenalti » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:08 pm

Wilma got me into tracking Hurricanes, before I learned about AmericanWX and Storm 2K. I was only 9.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:13 pm

I had always been a weather geek growing up, but took it seriously when I was 15, and later went to met school to prepare myself and the rest is a wrap!
3 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:39 pm

The very first movie I saw was Twister, which my parents took me to see when I was three years old. One of my earliest memories is a scene from that movie.

I remember in preschool we had to draw nice weather like rainbows and cumulus clouds and I just kept drawing tornadoes instead.

The seeds for my ultimate interest in the tropics over tornadoes though were planted when in kindergarten backpacks full of books were placed on the floor of the classroom, and we had to pick one and read all the books in it and then report back to our class about what we read. I grabbed one that had a book about Hurricane Andrew in it.

In fifth grade we had to draw on the sidewalk chalk drawings of our school and neighborhood as a sendoff for graduating. I drew a big swirly hurricane and a vision of Houston underwater during Tropical Storm Allison. I don't remember too well, but I think the teachers weren't very happy me with me :lol:

It turned into a full blown obsession when 2004 freaked me out though, and I was really into hurricanes all throughout middle school. I dressed up as Hurricane Katrina for Halloween in 8th grade, which both won me a costume contest and the ire of an evacuee neighbor.

It's still a big interest of mine, but no longer quite such an obsession. A lot of Katrina evacuees came to my middle school and didn't really like to hear me get too interested by hurricanes. I was much relieved when I rediscovered my old interest in space and finally had a science-y thing to talk about that wouldn't make me enemies. :oops:
3 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Hurricaneman » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:57 pm

I grew up in eastern Massachusetts, and the first one that caught my interest was Gloria as it went by to the west I was 5, still caused borderline hurricane force wind but the one that stoked my interest as of the power of the wind was Bob in 1991 with wind gusts over 120mph I was 11
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby AnnularCane » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:52 am

I was 15 when I first got interested. I don't know how familiar any of you are with the "condensed books" section of the Reader's Digest, but I used to have a subscription, and one issue had the condensed book version of "Tornado Watch #211," about the May 31, 1985 outbreak, which got me all fascinated with tornadoes and weather in general. (I have the full book now.) My interest then was mainly tornadoes, although I had maybe a moderate interest in hurricanes too, and tracking them. Hurricane Emily in 1987 was the first one I tracked. 8-) It wasn't until Andrew that my interest in the tropics began to dominate.

For maybe a year or so I even toyed with the idea of being a meteorologist, until I found out what was really involved, and I'm just not that into math, so I decided I would be better off just keeping it as an interest.

storm_in_a_teacup wrote:It's still a big interest of mine, but no longer quite such an obsession. A lot of Katrina evacuees came to my middle school and didn't really like to hear me get too interested by hurricanes. I was much relieved when I rediscovered my old interest in space and finally had a science-y thing to talk about that wouldn't make me enemies. :oops:

I never came to your middle school, but if I had I probably would have been the one evacuee who would have been like "Tell me more!" Sometimes I feel like I think differently from everybody else. :oops: (I think I would have liked your costume too!)
2 likes   

bigdan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby bigdan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:54 pm

About 6 years old .After being in the totally cleared out eye of hurricane Donna...something you never forget..Didnt seem real.
1 likes   

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby Dean_175 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:42 pm

I was 12/13. The 2005 season inspired me to become interested in tropical weather. Ended up studying meteorology in college.
3 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#11 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:50 am

My first real memory of weather and hurricanes was at around 4 years old in 1955 when I would run into my parents room to jump under the covers and hide from thunderstorms. The first hurricane I remember is Flossie in 1958 in Gulf Breeze, FL. And now I am a weather nerd to say the least. IOW I have basically been following weather for 65 years.
3 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#12 Postby NotSparta » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:51 am

I've always been interested in the weather but never really got into the tropics until I was 14, during my summer break in the 2016 season
2 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby underthwx » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:57 am

I was probably 8 or 9...I appointed myself the family forecaster... I have 3 older brothers, 2 older sisters... So every time we had a storm out there somewhere, I would carry around a tracking chart, so I could take care of my family... But it had the opposite effect...if my brother's or sisters saw me coming at them with my tracking charts, they would avoid me like I had the plague or somethin... But I didn't care... I really love tropical weather, it's one of my passions in life...I may not be as smart as alot of yall..... But I feel lucky to be able to be a part of this forum...everybody needs somebody, or something in their life they make they're own...I may not know much more now...than I did then... but thats ok... I love it just the same...
6 likes   

GrayLancer18
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#14 Postby GrayLancer18 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:39 am

I was 28 when hurricane Maria swept through my island. I had gone through other hurricanes before but this one ignited a spark that became an obsession that has lasted to this day. What drives this interest is the search for the answer if hurricane actually are essential for the planet despite the destruction they cause. Like, if we actually managed to control them and get rid of them, would that actually create a worse problem?

Maybe it's because I was one of the lucky ones that did not experience much material loss or lost a loved one but I cannot find myself to "hate" the storm (I've even tried to) that literally changed my island. I can understand those who don't want to even hear the name "Maria" ever again because there are those who lost EVERYTHING and even the sound of a gust can give them PTSD but for me it's other way around. Had I been a high-school graduate by the time Maria hit, I'd most likely be studying meteorology.
1 likes   
Hugo (1989) Hortense (1996) Georges (1998) Jeanne (2004) Irene (2011) Maria (2017)

I am NOT a professional meteorologist nor weather professional. Opinions are my own.
Consult with NHC and NOAA for official forecasts and advisories.

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#15 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:19 pm

Nawtamet wrote:I was 28 when hurricane Maria swept through my island. I had gone through other hurricanes before but this one ignited a spark that became an obsession that has lasted to this day. What drives this interest is the search for the answer if hurricane actually are essential for the planet despite the destruction they cause. Like, if we actually managed to control them and get rid of them, would that actually create a worse problem?

Maybe it's because I was one of the lucky ones that did not experience much material loss or lost a loved one but I cannot find myself to "hate" the storm (I've even tried to) that literally changed my island. I can understand those who don't want to even hear the name "Maria" ever again because there are those who lost EVERYTHING and even the sound of a gust can give them PTSD but for me it's other way around. Had I been a high-school graduate by the time Maria hit, I'd most likely be studying meteorology.

I definitely can relate to that feeling of “Got lucky compared to everyone else but can’t bring myself to hate the storm and kind of struck by the role hurricanes might play in nature.” It was definitely one I felt after Harvey.

(If you look at my post history you can see how far that I took this feeling with Harvey though...I somehow made myself feel sorry for it.)
2 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:47 pm

Around 2009-2010 when I first started tracking Oklahoma Supercells & winter storms, became my thing since then. (Got more Serious after 2013, the scary year in Oklahoma)

Tropical Cyclones since 2015 (First storm was Tropical Storm Bill in 2015, which dumped a LOT of rain over me!)
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 pm

Iceresistance wrote:Around 2009-2010 when I first started tracking Oklahoma Supercells & winter storms, became my thing since then. (Got more Serious after 2013, the scary year in Oklahoma)

Tropical Cyclones since 2015 (First storm was Tropical Storm Bill in 2015, which dumped a LOT of rain over me!)

Pretty much the same thing for me. Looks like we started tracking the tropics pretty much at the exact same time lol
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Iceresistance » Fri May 07, 2021 8:28 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:Wilma got me into tracking Hurricanes, before I learned about AmericanWX and Storm 2K. I was only 9.

I never knew that AmericanWX existed! Applying as a user there right now! :D

Also, how long does it take before I'm able to be on there?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri May 07, 2021 9:03 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:Wilma got me into tracking Hurricanes, before I learned about AmericanWX and Storm 2K. I was only 9.

There's also WX Disco.
And I got right in American wx right after I verified my email
0 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Iceresistance » Sat May 08, 2021 7:29 am

Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

There's also WX Disco.
And I got right in American wx right after I verified my email

Mine never came, there is also Infinity WX, mainly for Texas . . .

Maybe try to type the link slowly?
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Return to “Off Topic”