Renewable vs nonrenewable energy

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

Renewable vs nonrenewable energy

#1 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:18 pm

Lets start this here instead of polluting the Texas Thread
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Renewable vs nonrenewable energy

#2 Postby lrak » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:34 pm

I'm looking into a portable solar set up. I think I can get about 320 watts per panel. Wish the prices would come down MORE. I have crypto mining rigs and would love to get some free energy.
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

kenfa03
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#3 Postby kenfa03 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:56 pm

Wind wasn’t blowing yesterday and Ercot asked us to conserve energy. Renewables can play a role but we appear to be relying too much on mother nature at this point in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby lrak » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:07 pm

kenfa03 wrote:Wind wasn’t blowing yesterday and Ercot asked us to conserve energy. Renewables can play a role but we appear to be relying too much on mother nature at this point in time.

Agreed, wind is my least favorite of all power generation. I think a star's power is the ticket.

Wish natural gas was not such a negative for environmentalist. It's like the universe's hydrogen supply...just about unlimited supply of natural gas here on Earth and dirt cheap.
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby eastcoastFL » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:37 pm

kenfa03 wrote:Wind wasn’t blowing yesterday and Ercot asked us to conserve energy. Renewables can play a role but we appear to be relying too much on mother nature at this point in time.

You know that’s mot why Ercot is asking to conserve energy, right? The wind doesn’t have to blow 24/7 for power to run. It generates and stores energy when it is windy. You also have various other sources.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

kenfa03
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#6 Postby kenfa03 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:44 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:

You know that’s mot why Ercot is asking to conserve energy, right? The wind doesn’t have to blow 24/7 for power to run. It generates and stores energy when it is windy. You also have various other sources.

I beg to differ. No storage. If windmills aren’t turning they are useless. Same with solar panels if the sun isn’t shining.

0 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby eastcoastFL » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:57 pm

kenfa03 wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:

I beg to differ. No storage. If windmills aren’t turning they are useless. Same with solar panels if the sun isn’t shining.

Sorry but that’s not how any of this works. I live in Florida we are all solar. Our power bill is about $3 a month. Sometimes it rains for days and guess what? We have full power. The wind blows mouth and th sun shines enough o powe things on days it’s not sunny or windy. There’s entire countries setting up windfarms on the shore to power their countries. In Turkey they have turbines on highways that spin as you drive past. There’s various ways.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

kenfa03
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#8 Postby kenfa03 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:05 pm

eastcoastFL wrote:
kenfa03 wrote:
eastcoastFL wrote:

Sorry but that’s not how any of this works. I live in Florida we are all solar. Our power bill is about $3 a month. Sometimes it rains for days and guess what? We have full power. The wind blows mouth and th sun shines enough o powe things on days it’s not sunny or windy. There’s entire countries setting up windfarms on the shore to power their countries. In Turkey they have turbines on highways that spin as you drive past. There’s various ways.

So do you think the renewable energy that you are paying for is transmitted and distributed on dedicated power lines?

0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby toad strangler » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:08 pm

Love fossil fuels. I'll be the last effing hold out on this earth that goes to a no fossil fuel guzzling vehicle. #notashamed :flag:
0 likes   

kenfa03
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#10 Postby kenfa03 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:08 pm

Quick search says 3.5% of Floridas energy is renewable. 96.5 fossil fuels and nuclear if Fla has nuclear.

0 likes   

Return to “Off Topic”