Your preference about Daylight Saving Time (Continue the change or leave it all year)

Chat about anything and everything... (well almost anything) Whether it be the front porch or the pot belly stove or news of interest or a topic of your liking, this is the place to post it.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DST: Continue the time changes or leave it all year

Poll ended at Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:26 pm

Continue changing clocks in March and November
43%
Leave DST all year
57%

Total votes: 14

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Your preference about Daylight Saving Time (Continue the change or leave it all year)

#1 Postby cycloneye » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:26 pm

Next sunday March 12 will be the spring forward day when the clocks move ahead one hour but this poll question is about if the members like it to stay all year or continue the clock changes. Poll will close on Saturday March 11 at 7:26 PM EST.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Your preference about Daylight Saving Time (Continue the change or leave it all year)

#2 Postby tolakram » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:40 pm

DST all year. I'm on the western side of the eastern timezone so I prefer DST for extra daylight morning and afternoon. Those on the eastern side might not care, or prefer non DST. I think all of us don't like changing!
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Your preference about Daylight Saving Time (Continue the change or leave it all year)

#3 Postby Teban54 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:44 pm

tolakram wrote:DST all year. I'm on the western side of the eastern timezone so I prefer DST for extra daylight morning and afternoon. Those on the eastern side might not care, or prefer non DST. I think all of us don't like changing!

I'm currently on the eastern side of the eastern time zone, and the vast majority here want DST all year round.

4pm sunsets are depressing.
1 likes   

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby AnnularCane » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:18 pm

I'm sure I'm in the extreme minority but I honestly don't mind the time changes. I guess I'm used to them and it would feel weird without them. Plus I get a bit of a pleasure out of the sudden change to a later daylight. And the earlier sunsets with the change back to standard give the sense that the holidays are approaching. (Granted, even the earliest sunsets where I am aren't as early as they are in some places. In fact they're a bit later than they were when I was living in Louisiana.)

Although personally I'd rather they move the change to standard back to before Halloween.
1 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:18 pm

Also an unpopular opinion, but I think the time changes make sense.

Eliminating clock changes is something that sounds good in theory. Adjusting the clock can be a nuisance for some, and it can take some time to adjust. However, I believe the drawbacks of year-round DST are greater than the benefits. If year round DST is observed, the sun will not rise until after 9:00 AM in early winter in parts of the US. This will lead to school and work starting in total darkness for many people, which could pose a whole new set of challenges. The later sunsets with DST seem to be popular, but going to year-round standard time would result in the sun setting one hour earlier in the summer, giving less time for outdoor activities.

This seems to be an incredibly unpopular opinion nowadays, but I think the clock changes make perfect sense for optimizing daylight at different times of the year. Year-round DST was tried once in the US as an experiment, but was abandoned after one year and ended up incredibly unpopular.
3 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:29 am

DST all year for me. Sunshine is wasted in the morning.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:29 am

I'd keep changing it, the changes are a compromise between the possibility of schools in the dark or less time outdoors in the summer.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Old-TimeCane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#8 Postby Old-TimeCane » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:10 pm

I'm quite clearly the odd one here, but I would prefer if we remained on one time year-round, and it was Standard Time. It's called that for a reason. If we wanted it the other way we should have made DST Standard Time from the beginning.
2 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9 Postby South Texas Storms » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:13 pm

Old-TimeCane wrote:I'm quite clearly the odd one here, but I would prefer if we remained on one time year-round, and it was Standard Time. It's called that for a reason. If we wanted it the other way we should have made DST Standard Time from the beginning.

Agreed. Standard time is better, especially with model data arriving 1 hour earlier.
3 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:35 pm

I like standard time. The sun rising at 9 in December would be terrible. I wake up early in the summer anyways so I prefer the daylight at 5 am
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

ChrisH-UK
Category 1
Category 1

#11 Postby ChrisH-UK » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:52 pm

Here in the UK i wish they would stick to GMT. I think in reality the difference of sticking with winter time or summer time doesn't make much of a difference. It is isn't going to make the days longer during the winter, you can't legislate physics to change.
0 likes   

kronotsky
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#12 Postby kronotsky » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:19 pm

I think we should stick to DST, and consider delaying school start times to compensate. Kids wake up too early anyway, at least according to the current scientific thinking about circadian rhythm development in adolescence.

(I also live in Boston, which should probably be on Atlantic time anyway...)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#13 Postby cycloneye » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:40 pm

The voting has ended with leaving DST all year winning 57% vs 43%. Thanks to those who voted but, if anyone wants to comment about this, go ahead.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “Off Topic”