well chantal will move away

Moderator: S2k Moderators

TreasureIslandFLGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Clearwater, Florida ~3 miles from the coast now. We finally moved safely off the barrier island!

Re:

#21 Postby TreasureIslandFLGal » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:30 pm

Regit wrote:I can sense someone from NC is about to get VERY offended here.

Just a little note: Floyd was one of the most devastating hurricanes in US history. It killed 57 people and did $4.5 billion in damage.

NC got a nice little breeze and some good rain from Charley. I don't think anyone would like an NC resident saying they hope for another Charley since it was fun in NC.

I wasn't sure of the actual numbers but, I do remember that cleaning up after "him" was a very unpleasant task. I lived in Raleigh at the time and I recall it just being an insane amount of rain there, flooding many low-lying areas but, to the East of us ,there was massive flooding. Our trucks were contracted to help in the aftermath and I never want to see the things that I saw then ever again! It was very sad and put the power of Mother Nature into perspective for me. I really learned then that a hurricane isn't just all about the wind strength but, the water really can be overpowering and just as damaging and deadly!! :cry:
Last edited by TreasureIslandFLGal on Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: well chantal will move away

#22 Postby Brent » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:31 pm

Last year certainly wasn't exciting at all for the most part... I don't want a repeat of that. :roll:

But I don't want a 2005 repeat either.
0 likes   

TreasureIslandFLGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Clearwater, Florida ~3 miles from the coast now. We finally moved safely off the barrier island!

#23 Postby TreasureIslandFLGal » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:41 pm

I never want to be staring down the barrell of another Charley either! We here in the Tampa Bay area got lucky but, the folks in Charlotte County got creamed! I had mixed emotions that day. I was glad that he didn't follow the track that folks were calling for but, I felt horrible for the folks who had to face "him". :cry: :cry: :cry:

I love where I live but, I know that one day the Tampa Bay area's LUCK is going to run out. I'm not going to wish and hope that that day comes anytime too soon!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#24 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:19 pm

TreasureIslandFLGal wrote:I never want to be staring down the barrell of another Charley either! We here in the Tampa Bay area got lucky but, the folks in Charlotte County got creamed! I had mixed emotions that day. I was glad that he didn't follow the track that folks were calling for but, I felt horrible for the folks who had to face "him". :cry: :cry: :cry:

I love where I live but, I know that one day the Tampa Bay area's LUCK is going to run out. I'm not going to wish and hope that that day comes anytime too soon!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Had Charley stayed on that course, and the trough had been farther to the west (where it actually was, Charley would have had a hard time strengthening on the approach to Tampa due to greater shear), that is what would have happened. The area would have been hit by 150 mph winds.
0 likes   

TreasureIslandFLGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby TreasureIslandFLGal » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:34 pm

Yeah, and that really would have sucked to have been me on that day!!! I'm right here on the coast just to the north of the mouth of Tampa Bay.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#26 Postby JonathanBelles » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:54 pm

TreasureIslandFLGal wrote:Yeah, and that really would have sucked to have been me on that day!!! I'm right here on the coast just to the north of the mouth of Tampa Bay.

And Im only a little north of you.
0 likes   

Rainband

#27 Postby Rainband » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:14 pm

fact789 wrote:
TreasureIslandFLGal wrote:Yeah, and that really would have sucked to have been me on that day!!! I'm right here on the coast just to the north of the mouth of Tampa Bay.

And Im only a little north of you.

Ditto
0 likes   

Opal storm

#28 Postby Opal storm » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:35 pm

Brent wrote:Last year certainly wasn't exciting at all for the most part... I don't want a repeat of that. :roll:

But I don't want a 2005 repeat either.
I agree.

Being a surfer, I enjoy tropical storms and weak hurricanes in the Gulf. But when it comes to Katrina's and Wilma's...no thanks.
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:32 pm

I hope and pray that a big hurricane does not
hit me because i'll lose everything im very close
to the bay only 9 ft above sea level.
0 likes   

TreasureIslandFLGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby TreasureIslandFLGal » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:14 am

I know what you mean T.B.Hurricane. Here on Treasure Island our highest land is only 3 to 4 feet above sea level, the rest is below that. I just thank God that my condo is 9 stories up. The windows may go but, as far as we can tell the building should still stand. It's rebar reinforced solid concrete with pilings that go all the way down to bedrock. When it was built, the military had a contract to use it as an emergency operations center for storms or the ever dreaded nuclear attack, since MacDill A.F.B. was so close. But either way, I believe that my unit would be gutted and I'd lose alot of stuff due to water damage. That would stink but, it's the risk one takes to live in paradise! I do get my vehicles and important stuff off of the island whenever we have a warning, like during that whole Charley scare. :wink:
0 likes   

AdvAutoBob
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby AdvAutoBob » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:38 am

ktulu909 wrote:Rebuilding my house from Katrina over the last 2 years (which Im still not even done)
is boring.

Waiting a year and a half for home repairs after Charley due to overworked contractors is "boring"
0 likes   

TreasureIslandFLGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#32 Postby TreasureIslandFLGal » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:50 am

AdvAutoBob said:
Waiting a year and a half for home repairs after Charley due to overworked contractors is "boring"[/quote]

Not to mention nerve racking as well, I'm sure!! :cry:
0 likes   

Return to “2007”