Tropical Depression HUMBERTO Discussion & Images

Moderator: S2k Moderators

kurtpage
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: TS HUMBERTO (Louisiana): Discussion & Images

#1681 Postby kurtpage » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:23 pm

jschlitz wrote:
Wx_Warrior wrote:Entergy did a GREAT job with Rita because they were prepared. I am very concerned with Entergy now. They expected this to be a rain event and were caught sleeping. It will be days, maybe a week before power is restored. They admitted they were not ready for Humberto. Damn shame!

I think you're being unfair here. How were they supposed to know Humberto would make LF as almost a Cat 2 (and maybe so in the post-analysis)??? I think the whole Golden Triangle was, quite literally, caught sleeping with this one.

Agreed...and also Entergy is the company that called in the reserves for cleanup...like I said above...My father-in-law is bringing 7 crews to Batton Rouge in the morning.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1682 Postby Portastorm » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:28 pm

Wx_Warrior wrote:Jsch...I disagree but thats not for us to argue over now...Believe me, they knew.

Anyway, here is a link of good photos from Humberto...

http://www.freedomgalleries.com/kfdm/main.php?g2_itemId=14

Well, I won't argue about it either ... but I would like to know how Entergy "knew", especially when the official authorities -- the National Hurricane Center -- did not predict hurricane conditions and even suggested during the late afternoon hours that Humberto reaching hurricane status was unlikely. So how exactly did they know?

When a storm goes from depression status to Cat 1 in 20 hours ... and the rapid strengthening is not predicted ... how can a major company be ready for that?
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Hurricane HUMBERTO (GOM): Global & BAM MODELS

#1683 Postby PTrackerLA » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:30 pm

I have my doubts about the loop but there won't be much left of Humberto since the circulation is already decoupling.
0 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1684 Postby lrak » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:30 pm

Steve,

what do you mean by decoupling, I saw a model before it moved inland and it had the LLC back out over the GOM moving WSW?
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#1685 Postby southerngale » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:31 pm

Wx_Warrior wrote:Entergy did a GREAT job with Rita because they were prepared. I am very concerned with Entergy now. They expected this to be a rain event and were caught sleeping. It will be days, maybe a week before power is restored. They admitted they were not ready for Humberto. Damn shame!

They have their generic preparations ready, but Humberto developed rapidly. Besides your normal, early-season preparations, nobody was ready. Entergy was able to watch Rita form and head in this direction for days. Power was still out for weeks, of course Rita was MUCH worse than Humberto.
0 likes   

skysummit
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1686 Postby skysummit » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Ok, who agrees???

0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1687 Postby Brent » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:33 pm

FINAL ADVISORY

See you in 2013 Humberto. You certainly won't be forgotten anytime soon.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

Re: TD HUMBERTO (Inland): Global & BAM MODELS

#1688 Postby Sanibel » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:38 pm

Humberto grew a significant shape inland showing what it would have become if it had started doing this in the BOC!
0 likes   

Air Force Met
Military Met
Military Met

Re:

#1689 Postby Air Force Met » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:54 pm

skysummit wrote:Ok, who agrees???

I agree...the mid and upper level circulations are separating. This will make it more difficult for the return to the GOM scenario to occur. A detached LLC will more than likely be absorbed along the frontal boundary that is coming down this weekend.
0 likes   

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#1690 Postby jabman98 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:54 pm

Local met here in Houston (Channel 13) showed the models and then said they might both be right - upper level circ going east and lower level looping back out into the Gulf. Didn't say if Humberto would retain his name if that happened.
0 likes   

baygirl_1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#1691 Postby baygirl_1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:54 pm

85storm2z3747bcaq wrote:That's nice. Guess everyone deserves a second change even if they totally screwed up the intensity which is one of the most important aspects of a hurricane. Can't be telling everyone a little tropical storm is coming and overnight an almost Cat 2 Hurricane sneaks up on you and kills you. I'm surprised no heads will roll for this. Seems there were some problems earlier this year? Guess they should never have fired that hurricane chief? Things might have been much better if they had kept him. Looks like he was right about the inadequate technology at the hurricane place.

Instead of looking for someone to blame, why don't we use this as a lesson that we need to take ALL storms seriously and not blow one off simply because it's "only" a tropical storm? Just a thought... :D
0 likes   

caneflyer
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#1692 Postby caneflyer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:59 pm

Chris_in_Tampa wrote:That 98 knot reading was a 10 second peak flight level wind. The 30 second sustained wind in that observation was only 93 knots. The next observation right after that had 30 second sustained winds of 94 knots, so over that 1 minute interval you saw sustained flight level winds averaged to be about 93.5 knots.
Regarding that SFMR wind, remember it is a 10 second peak wind. The 30 second sustained surface winds that can be calculated using a method I have discussed previously would mean the winds were 73.8 knots (~ 84.8 mph). If you look at the decoded observation at the link above, you will see the very next observation indicated that the 30 second surface wind could be estimated at 74.0 knots (~ 85.1 mph). Avergaing the two together, which would represent a 1 minute interval from observations taken directly next to each other, indicate the advisory intensity of 75 knots (around 85 mph), 1 minute sustained, is correct.

The problem with your analysis is that you are averaging in the wrong direction. The "one-minute average" that represents the definition of sustained wind refers to allowing 1 minute of air to pass over an anemometer. When an aircraft does a storm penetration, they are flying perpendicular to the wind, so to take a 1-min average in this context represents a radial average that smooths out the actual wind at the RMW. What you really want is a 1-min average in the tangential direction, but the planes don't fly downwind in the eyewall.

Upshot of all this is that, all else being equal, NHC traditionally interprets the 10-s aircraft flight-level wind as being temporally equivalent to a 1-min anemometer measurment (adjusted for elevation, of course). In the case of the 98 kt aircraft wind, the standard adjustment of 80% from 850 mb would give 78 kt at the surface. The advisory intensity was set to 75 kt, but could have been set at 80 kt, and might be in post-analysis. Either 75 or 80 is consistent with the 98 kt flight-level wind.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1693 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:00 pm

Brent wrote:FINAL ADVISORY

See you in 2013 Humberto. You certainly won't be forgotten anytime soon.

Yeah don't let the :Door: slam on you Humberto!
0 likes   

jeff
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Tropical Depression HUMBERTO Discussion & Images

#1694 Postby jeff » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:03 pm

Per air images today...damage in High Island looks like high end cat 1 with entire roofs off and some roof damage to well built buildings. Suspect winds of 75-85mph sustained with a few gust near 95mph. Winds over E TX and BPT were much weaker than that with Rita and comparisons to Rita with Humberto are not justified. The peak gust with Humberto were near the sustained winds of Rita.

43 power substations have been knocked off line and 39 large metal transmission towers were brought down.

Bolivar is completely cut-off via HWY 124 and is only reachable via the Galveston Ferry due to large power towers down across HWY 87.

Damage very similar to Claudette 2003...so cat 1 looks good to me (maybe sustained 90mph).
0 likes   

attallaman

#1695 Postby attallaman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:31 pm

jabman98 wrote:Local met here in Houston (Channel 13) showed the models and then said they might both be right - upper level circ going east and lower level looping back out into the Gulf. Didn't say if Humberto would retain his name if that happened.
Ms. Janice Dean; the "Weather Machine" on Fox Cable News was saying something similar to that earlier today. Any chance of Humberto doing a loop and re-entering the GOM at some later point or are we seeing the last of Humberto this evening?
0 likes   

jaxfladude
Category 5
Category 5

#1696 Postby jaxfladude » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:34 pm

God Bless all of those affected by "HUMBERTO".....
:flag:
Last edited by jaxfladude on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1697 Postby Steve » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:50 pm

>>I agree...the mid and upper level circulations are separating. This will make it more difficult for the return to the GOM scenario to occur. A detached LLC will more than likely be absorbed along the frontal boundary that is coming down this weekend.

Whatever happens, it will be cool to watch the evolution tomorrow and into the weekend. The whole storm has been interesting, especially for a Cat 1.

Steve
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1698 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:51 pm

0 likes   

jaxfladude
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1699 Postby jaxfladude » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:17 pm

HURAKAN wrote:Image

Any chance of an IVAN-like split?
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1700 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:19 pm

jeff wrote:Per air images today...damage in High Island looks like high end cat 1 with entire roofs off and some roof damage to well built buildings. Suspect winds of 75-85mph sustained with a few gust near 95mph. Winds over E TX and BPT were much weaker than that with Rita and comparisons to Rita with Humberto are not justified. The peak gust with Humberto were near the sustained winds of Rita.

43 power substations have been knocked off line and 39 large metal transmission towers were brought down.

Bolivar is completely cut-off via HWY 124 and is only reachable via the Galveston Ferry due to large power towers down across HWY 87.

Damage very similar to Claudette 2003...so cat 1 looks good to me (maybe sustained 90mph).

Sounds like damage is going to be around $200-500 million.
0 likes   

Return to “2007”