BoB: Very Severe Cyclonic Storm SIDR

Moderator: S2k Moderators

kd_black
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Re:

#721 Postby kd_black » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:25 pm

HURAKAN wrote:
Ptarmigan wrote: Bangladesh is very crowded and is the size of Wisconsin.

Try Iowa.

Iowa: 145,743 km²

Bangladesh: 144,000 km²

What is happening is tragic anyway you see it.

Actually Dhaka is like Newyork city. A lot of people comes to Dhaka to work. During the festivals you will find Dhaka empty.
0 likes   

kd_black
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: BoB: Very Severe Cyclonic Storm SIDR: Landfall has occurred

#722 Postby kd_black » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:17 pm

0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#723 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:23 pm

Final JTWC advisory issued, listed as a 60 kt storm at 0000Z (probably about 45-50 kt now).
0 likes   

kd_black
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#724 Postby kd_black » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:06 pm

0 likes   

kd_black
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#725 Postby kd_black » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:31 pm

0 likes   

Squarethecircle
Category 5
Category 5

#726 Postby Squarethecircle » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:39 am

This'll be hell, watching the death toll go up and up...
0 likes   

fromBd
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#727 Postby fromBd » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:10 am

The hurricane has landed and it has left of trail of destruction.Large trees and buildings are uprooted, cars and boats lying upside down in the street. Few of the district submerged in rough water.Due to large uprooted trees road communication is totally disconnected from the capital to south coastal districts.National power greed line collapsed and power shut off in the whole country. The economic impact would be severe on local people in the area devastated by the storm specially for peasants who would have harvested their corps in weeks time.Death of many animals has been reported from Shundarban mangrove forest.

Television news medias are reporting live from the worst effected areas and the devastation looks massive. In few of the districts 80% of the thatched huts were smashed.

In spite of all these,I am happy to report that, a major catastrophe has been averted. The administration worked tirelessly to move people to safer place and loss life is not in the millions what many of us feared when we were following the storm. As per the most latest report, the worst effected districts in the coast like Patuakhali, Khulna, Barishal has reported around 500 death. The number is expected to rise to 1000. Many of those were due to building collapse and tree collapse.

The response of the alert and preparedness was both impressive. All the holiday of govt officials were canceled and army and navy was kept standby for rescue operations who have started working.

Storm just brushed the city, where I live. There was no water,electricity and gas from the morning.But, by now 1500 hrs all the regular service has been restored and life moves on.

I thank all of you in the board for taking such interest in the storm and I am genuinely moved by the concern you have shown. I am quite happy with the response the people have made in this storm, which proves that Bangladesh is not only a low lying delta but a country of 140 million resilient people.
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#728 Postby P.K. » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:57 am

BOB 09/2007/37 Dated: 16 November 2007

Sub: Cyclonic Storm (SIDR) weaken into a depression over
Bangladesh and adjoining areas.

The cyclonic storm “SIDR” over Bangladesh and adjoining
Tripura moved northeastwards and rapidly weaken into a depression.
It lay centered at 0830 hrs IST of today, the 16th November 2007 over
Bangladesh and adjoining Tripura, Meghalaya and Assam near Lat.
24.50 N and Long 91.50 E, about 50 km southwest of Agartala. The system
is likely to move in a north-northeasterly direction and weaken further.

Under its influence, Rain/thundershowers are likely at most
places with isolated heavy to very heavy falls over districts of Tripura,
Mizoram, Manipur, Assam & Meghalaya and Nagaland during next 24
hours.

This is the last bulletin for this system.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#729 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:08 am

how far inland are those cities you mentioned, frombd

also, has the surge fully receded in the immediate coastline?
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#730 Postby Sanibel » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:16 am

Assam is the NE section of India to the NE of Bangladesh. It has foothills of the eastern Himalayas, so the heavy rain contained in Sidr gets squeezed out by orographic lift. They should see heavy flooding. News from there is limited due to unstable government.

Looks like the evacuations worked and the death toll was kept down. I suspect they'll be finding more bodies in surge areas. Maybe Sidr was narrow-cored? The ebbing tide probably helped also. Looks like Bangladesh got their people out from in front of the worst this time.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#731 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:31 am

lets not rush to proclaim this as a non event.

Remember, 12-24 hours after the Tsunami, the reports were of only a couple thousand deaths. We need to wait until we hear everything, which will take some time
0 likes   

btangy
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#732 Postby btangy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:42 am

Derek Ortt wrote:lets not rush to proclaim this as a non event.

Remember, 12-24 hours after the Tsunami, the reports were of only a couple thousand deaths. We need to wait until we hear everything, which will take some time

Yes, I still feel we have yet to learn the worst. It'll take several days if not weeks to grasp the magnitude of the situation. If the reports of 60-80% total devastation are correct, it's hard to imagine the kinds of scenes going on there currently and the trauma the survivors are dealing with right now. I'm hoping the international community is rushing aid to the region. I've yet to hear much outpouring of support though.
0 likes   

Coredesat

Re:

#733 Postby Coredesat » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:25 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:lets not rush to proclaim this as a non event.

Indeed, it will be at least a week or two before authorities are able to even begin to grasp the full extent of the situation.
0 likes   

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#734 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:18 pm

Based on data and satellite, I think Sidr peak around 145-150 knots. It is sad that they never upgraded it to a cat5 or super cyclone.
0 likes   

fromBd
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re:

#735 Postby fromBd » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:49 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:how far inland are those cities you mentioned, frombd

also, has the surge fully receded in the immediate coastline?

Few of the cities are one to five miles from coast.One city was emerged totally inside water during the storm. Now, the water has moved as per reports.

I think, the casualty will not increase significentlyfrom surge. Many people who does not leave their home in fear of security of their valuables tie them up on coconut tree during the storm and the surge.
However stupid it may sound, this is a very much widespread practice amongst low income group.
Besides the surge does not come suddenly like tsunami so there is always time for one to move to a higher ground unless you are living in a very remote and flat island like dublar chor.

The financial loss would be colosal for the the peasants, who just recovered from a massive flood in march april. And also the govt will struggle to balance its resources to restore normal order for the electricity,water and road communication.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#736 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:59 pm

what are the elevations (I have to admit, my Bangladesh geography is not the greatest). It may have needed to be about 20 feet high to have proper shelter.

What happened in Mississippi during Katrina was that the surge did not come in like a Tsunami. However, it was a fairly rapid water level rise that did kill more than 200 people (Mississippi is far less populated than Bangladesh and most of the deaths occurred in areas that survived Camielle's 25 foot surge in 1969).

I am hoping that there are not that many surge related deaths. Would demonstrate great progress if Bangladesh i able to now be able to prepare for these destructive cyclones
0 likes   

Squarethecircle
Category 5
Category 5

#737 Postby Squarethecircle » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:49 pm

Death toll up to around 1100-4100 people. If this is day two, and they haven't started searching the Delta yet, this could be an indicator that things are about to get really, really bad.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#738 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:59 pm

can you provide a source to the 4100, please
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#739 Postby Category 5 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:11 pm

I've heard different sources ranking from 240-1100.
0 likes   

Return to “2007”