Christmas recipe exchange

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

stormy
Category 1
Category 1

Christmas recipe exchange

#1 Postby stormy » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:34 pm

ok i will be baking this weekend. would love to have some new recipes. i bet we have some great cooks on this board. :D
0 likes   

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Pinetop Arizona. Elevation 7102' (54 miles west of NM border)

#2 Postby azsnowman » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:00 pm

Well.......here's a "FAMOUS" Azsnowmans *secret recipe*.....if this should get out, it'll put Cracker Jacks out of business "LOL!"

Azsnowmans Caramel Corn

8 quarts of popped corn (microwave popcorn doesn't work well, hot air popped is the best)

2 cups brown sugar firmly packed
1 cup butter (not margarine)
1/2 cup light Karo Syrup
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups peanuts, cashews (optional)

Preheat oven to 225° Put the popped corn in a VERY large bowl, Mix remaining ingred in a medium sauce pan, cook over MEDIUM heat, bring to a rolling boil for EXACTLY 5 minutes, remove from heat, pour over popcorn and mix with a spoon until WELL coated. Spread on a cookie sheet (I use waxed paper on the cookie sheet to ease clean up). Bake 1 hour, Cool and break apart!

Now.....this recipe has been in the family for EONS....but let me WARN ya's, it's VERY addicting, you'll be lucky to package it ALL up!!

Dennis
Last edited by azsnowman on Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

StormCrazyIowan
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby StormCrazyIowan » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:09 pm

LOL, what is the package for Dennis???? :wink:
0 likes   

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby azsnowman » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:13 pm

I make WELL over 15 batches per year (actually in one week, which I'm doing this weekend) and ship it to friends, relatives etc along with Michelle's candy!

Dennis
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#5 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:50 pm

Dennis: Now.....this has recipe has been in the family for EONS....but let me WARN ya's, it's VERY addicting, you'll be lucky to package it ALL up!!

Dennis - ain't that the truth! The minute you start cooling it, EVERYONE wants some. As you know we have very similar recipes. Last xmas I made about 8 or so batches of my caramel popcorn. Then sometime in late August I sent a batch to my nephew, stationed in Iraq. He said it was a big hit! I put it all in small baggies to share with his buddies. But the trick was to begin it after my kids went to school. I managed to bag it all up, pack the box, wrap the box, address it and get it to the PO before they ever walked in the door. However they smelled it and wanted to know where the popcorn was! When I said where it went - I honestly tasted only one piece to test it - they were okay with none.

It's so easy to make! It's not like baking tray after tray of cookies. You can leave it and come back later. One tip from me - no need to clean your oven before you start! It's a messy treat and you will spill some.

Mary
0 likes   

stormy
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby stormy » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:03 pm

it sound great and i promise not to give it to any one :wink: i promise
0 likes   

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby azsnowman » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:21 pm

Mary, we *did* buy the Vaccum Sealer I was talking about a few months ago.......I can't WAIT to make a batch and try the sealer on it.

Stormy, seriously, not to brag but DANG.....this stuff is SO blasted GOOD. I made a batch for our friends who own the nursery where we buy all of our plants/trees at.....I gave them a WHOLE batch, next day we stopped in and asked his wife how she liked it this year...........Chris, the owner, ate EVER single kernel and DIDN'T share with his wife :eek: talk about one P.O.D woman, MAN was she ever mad at him!

Dennis
0 likes   

Miss Mary

Orange Spice Tea Mix

#8 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:18 am

Orange Spice Tea Mix

2 cups Tang
1 envelope unsweetened lemonade, like Koolaid brand
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup instant tea
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Mix well. To serve, use 2 heaping teaspoons to 1 cup boiling water.

Note - this makes an easy gift during the holidays. Just fill decorative xmas bags, tie with ribbons, and you're set. Adding a mug is a nice touch, and a few cinnamon sticks along with it for scent. Another idea is to fill Ball jars, adding a piece of xmas fabric on top.

Mary
0 likes   

Miss Mary

Aromatic Dough Ornaments

#9 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:42 am

Aromatic Dough Ornaments

Ingredients:

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup salt
1/4 cup ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon ground allspice
1 Tablespoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon powdered alum
1 1/4 cups water

Combine flour, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and alum in a medium mixing bowl. Add water. Mix well to form dough. Shape the dough into ball. Knead on lightly floured board for about 5 minutes, or until dough is smooth. (If too stiff, sprinkle with additional water; if too moist, add flour). Heat oven to 250 F. Or bake using microwave method, see below.

Roll dough to 1/4" thickness on lightly floured surface; work with small portions of the dough at a time. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters.

Embellish cutouts with cinnamon candies, cloves, allspice, or bit of textured dough; make the textured dough by pushing small amounts of dough through a garlic press. Secure dough to cutouts by moistening it with water. Cut hole for hanger near top of cutout, using a drinking straw.

Spray pie plate or cookie sheet with cooking spray (or use parchment paper). Microwave or bake in conventional oven. See directions below:

Microwave method: Cook at 30% (Medium Low) for 5 to 8 minutes or until the tops of the cutouts feel dry, rotating the pie plate and checking ornaments every 2 minutes.

Conventional oven method: Bake for about 2 hours, at 250 F, or until tops are dry and feel firm to the touch.

Remove ornaments to a rack and set aside for 24 hours or longer for complete drying. If desired, spray the ornaments lightly with vegetable cooking spray for glossier appearance. Insert ribbon or raffia (or strips of xmas fabric) for hangers through the holes. Knot ends together.

Note: My daughters and I made these years ago and still hang them on our tree each xmas. And they still have that scent, not as strong as the first year but it's still there. That time we used puff paint to write their names and the year. Over time, we noticed the paint chipping away. I think I would use a paint pen now. I have two, gold and silver, that I add the year or place (e.g., vacation spots) to new ornaments. The gold paint pen really adds a nice touch and if I were to make these ornaments again, I'd probably use that color b/c they are brown in color. We gave these ornaments away as gifts too and they were a big hit that year. And you don't have to worry about anyone nibbling on the dough - we tasted a tiny bit and my oh my, it's salty! See ingredient list above. LOL We also accentuated cookie shapes with toothpicks, making the grooves on trees more pronounced. After they dry, I'd probably outline these grooves with the paint pen if making them again. Finally, we used twine with the ends frayed to hang them. Twine looks great with the brown color and gives them that homespun look. Oh one more thing, we baked them in the oven. It does produce a slightly uneven appearance but that's just the effect I wanted - an old fashioned look. If you would like smooth ornaments, the microwave method is suggested. Kids love making these ornaments.

Mary
Last edited by Miss Mary on Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby wx247 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:42 am

Ya'll are so creative. Thanks for sharing your ideas. If I had one I would share it, but alas, in this arena I am creatively challenged. ;)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Miss Mary

#11 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:55 am

wx247 wrote:Ya'll are so creative. Thanks for sharing your ideas. If I had one I would share it, but alas, in this arena I am creatively challenged. ;)

Don't see yourself too short! All of my craft ideas started when my kids started school, years ago. Buying gifts for teachers really added up. And then my neighbors would one by one drop something off around Dec. 25th. Have you ever run out to buy a nut assortment or candy gift? You're talking at least $5 per person. So I finally decided to begin baking cookies for gifts. Or the tea mix a few times. Last year it was the caramel popcorn. And that one time, these spicy ornaments. We hung them on packages for family gifts. It's not too hard to get started thinking in these directions, especially when you begin totalling up how expensive it would be to buy gifts (teachers/neighbors). Now I have 6 or 7 neighbor type gifts ready by the 20th. And my kids like distributing them.

One neighbor took a simple wooden pants hanger, the kind with the clamps. She took puff paint and wrote our last name with a slogan like - What's cooking at the Bosken's tonight? And she bought a simple monthly cookbook magazine and clipped it on. I thought that was a very clever gift. The idea is that I'm supposed to clip a recipe card in the hanger, and hang it on my cabinet door handle when I'm cooking. Have to be honest here, I've never used it. LOL But I did hang it up on a hook in the kitchen. It looks nice since it's wooden.

Mary
0 likes   

JCT777
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby JCT777 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:54 am

I will have to post at least one or two of my cookie recipes. I will try to remember to look them up this weekend and post them early next week.
0 likes   

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby azsnowman » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:12 pm

The first batch of caramel corn of the season was UNBELIEVABLE (not braggin' mind you)...it was, by FAR, the BEST I've made! The secret......well, it started out by me being TOO lazy to get in the pickup and drive to the store for more butter "LOL!" Instead of the 1 cup butter, I only had 1.5 sticks left, which is 3/4 cup, so I thought, "What the heck, if it doesn't turn out quite right, I'll eat it anyways!" As it turned out, like I said, it was AWESOME......3/4 of it was gift wrapped and ready for mailing on Monday, the other 1/4 "AHEM*......well, let's say, "I COULDN'T ship it without taste testing it, RIGHT?"

Dennis
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#14 Postby Miss Mary » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:29 am

azsnowman wrote:The first batch of caramel corn of the season was UNBELIEVABLE (not braggin' mind you)...it was, by FAR, the BEST I've made! The secret......well, it started out by me being TOO lazy to get in the pickup and drive to the store for more butter "LOL!" Instead of the 1 cup butter, I only had 1.5 sticks left, which is 3/4 cup, so I thought, "What the heck, if it doesn't turn out quite right, I'll eat it anyways!" As it turned out, like I said, it was AWESOME......3/4 of it was gift wrapped and ready for mailing on Monday, the other 1/4 "AHEM*......well, let's say, "I COULDN'T ship it without taste testing it, RIGHT?"

Dennis

Dennis - wait you're saying less butter is better? Unbelieveable! I'd be just as lazy as you my friend. Mmmm, I'll keep that in mind. I'm about to start the baking blitz too this week sometime - just need to detail the kitchen well. That's the first thing I do (have to with a Golden Retriever!), then stock up on supplies, and Mary's kitchen is in business.

LOL at you testing some. We always test it too. How can you not? It can barely cool in my house! Someone's always grabbing a handful.

Folks - make this caramel popcorn! It's a huge hit, unlike shall I say fruitcake? See Dennis' thread on the Off Topic board. LOL

Mary
0 likes   

stormy
Category 1
Category 1

#15 Postby stormy » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:22 am

miss mary i am going to try the dough ornaments this weekend. this recipe is a great recipe even my kids love it.

cheese ball

1 6oz blue cheese
2 8oz cream cheese
2 T of dried onions
3 T parsley flakes
1 jar of solf cheddar cheese (no cheese whiz)
2 cups of pecons
1, 2 or 3 T of worestershire sauce

Blend cheeses, onions. parsley flakes, and 1cup of the pecons. Roll cheese into 2 or 4 balls according to how big u want them.. take the other cup of pecons and some parsley flakes about 2 T mix together and roll the ball into the nut mixture. keep cold until serving. they also freeze well.
0 likes   

azsnowman
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby azsnowman » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:05 pm

Yes Mary....less butter=better taste! I made batch #2-#3 today...only 5 more to go!!!! "Look out Cracker Jacks, here I come!" Only one little problem, I don't put prizes in mine "LOL!"

Dennis
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby HurricaneGirl » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:32 pm

Christmas Cookie Recipe:

1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts (that's alot of nuts!)
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality.

Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo
again, to be sure it is of the highest
quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer...Beat one
cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one teaspoon of sugar...Beat again.

At this point it's best to make sure the
Cuervo is still OK, try another cup ...
just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2
eggs and add to the bowl and chuck in
the cup of dried fruit, Pick the
frigging fruit off floor... Mix on the
turner. If the fried druit gets stuck
in the beaterers just pry it loose with
a drewscriver. Sample the Cuervo to
check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or
something. Who giveshz a sheet. Check
the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon
juice and strain your nuts. Add one
table. Add a spoon of sugar, or
somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash
the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees
and try not to fall over. Don't forget
to beat off the turner. Finally, throw
the bowl through the window, finish the
Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the
dishwasher.

CHERRY MISTMAS!!
0 likes   

HurricaneGirl
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby HurricaneGirl » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:48 pm

Chicken Recipe

When I found this recipe, I thought it
was perfect for people, like me,
who just are not sure how to tell
when poultry is thoroughly cooked,
but not dried out. Give this a try.

BAKED STUFFED CHICKEN
6-7 lb. chicken
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT)
salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brush chicken well with melted butter, salt, and pepper.
Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the
neck end toward the back of the oven. Listen for the popping
sounds. When the chicken's butt blows the oven door open and the
chicken flies across the room, it is done.

:D
Last edited by HurricaneGirl on Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#19 Postby CajunMama » Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:48 pm

lmbo HG! and just how many times have you tried that recipe! LOL
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#20 Postby Miss Mary » Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:06 am

HurricaneGirl wrote:Chicken Recipe

When I found this recipe, I thought it
was perfect for people, like me,
who just are not sure how to tell
when poultry is thoroughly cooked,
but not dried out. Give this a try.

BAKED STUFFED CHICKEN
6-7 lb. chicken
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT)
salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Brush chicken well with melted butter, salt, and pepper.
Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the
neck end toward the back of the oven. Listen for the popping
sounds. When the chicken's butt blows the oven door open and the
chicken flies across the room, it is done.

:D

Is this recipe for real? Popcorn in the butt?

LOL, like crazy!!!!

Mary
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”