Vegetable Soup Recipe!

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Miss Mary

Vegetable Soup Recipe!

#1 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:42 pm

Hey all....since several individual recipes have been posted, thought I'd post this one. Especially since it's winter and it's perfect for when the wx is lousy.

Add a salad, bread/rolls and you have a complete dinner.

Vegetable Soup

3 14.5 oz cans of vegetable broth (I use Kroger brand)
1 Knorr's vegetable broth bouillon cube
1 11.5 oz can of V-8 juice (important!)
3 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
bay leaf

3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 or 2 celery stalks, sliced
onions - small, whole (about 12 or 16) or 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped
2 turnips, peeled and cubed (important!)
1 or 2 small red potatoes, cubed (peeled or unpeeled)
green cabbage to taste (2 good size wedges sliced very thin or shredded)
green beans, sliced into one inch pieces to taste (small handful)

3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
fresh mushrooms, sliced thin to taste (6 - 10?)
precooked pasta (4 oz: Pipette, Macaroni, or Mini Penne)

Combine canned broth, bouillon cube and V-8 juice. Add spices and bay leaf. Next add carrots, celery, onions, turnips, potatoes, cabbage and green beans. Add any other fresh vegetable you prefer at this time. Bring to a boil, simmer for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta in separate pan. Drain and reserve for later. Remove bay leaf. Stir soup well and remove 1 or 2 soup ladle's full of soup, transferring to blender. Puree. Pour back into soup pot. Stir well. If soup is as thick as you like it, bring back to a gentle boil adding mushrooms and tomatoes at this time. Simmer again, now adding cooked pasta to taste. Soup can simmer on low for at least an hour at this point. Add water as needed also. Or another Knorr's vegetable bouillon cube (this adds lots of flavor) if you think the soup needs more flavor.

Enjoy! (This is my version of the Vegetable Soup recipe that appears on the back of Kroger brand canned vegetable broth).

Mary
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#2 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:55 pm

Bumping this up since I just mentioned it on the Off Topic forum.

My family loves this recipe. I don't know what the secret is, but the broth tastes so good. And then all the veggies and pasta, well it's very filling. And great on a cold winter's day. I'm making a big pot right now!

Mary
0 likes   

TazzyD
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby TazzyD » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:29 pm

Yummy! I'm going to have to try this recipe. I love a good, homemade veggie soup with some hot, homemade bread!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#4 Postby Miss Mary » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:39 pm

Tazzy - I just had the last of it today for lunch. It does taste good after it sits in the fridge for a day or two.

Homemade bread with this soup sounds like a meal to me!

The secrets to this recipe I think are the Knorr's vegetable broth bouillon cubes, a can of V 8 juice and pureeing part of it in the blender, to thicken before serving. Just be sure to puree before adding pasta and mushrooms (the mushrooms don't puree well, you end up with tiny bits of them floating around).

Enjoy!

Mary
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#5 Postby southerngale » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:43 pm

That sounds delicious!! Could I just pay you to make some for me? :wink:
0 likes   

Dee Bee
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Dee Bee » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:47 pm

Sounds delicious, Miss Mary!

I notice that the remark for the turnips says "important." I enjoy turnips (and the peppery zip of parsnips, too), although I haven't had the inclination to make hearty soups/stews here in SoFla.

BUT I'm going to have a true winter opportunity to try this terrific soup! I'll hit the grocery store to pick up all the ingredients because our forecast is for wind chills in the teens and low 20s tonight/Monday a.m. -- yikes!

[Thank goodness I never discarded the lined jacket and thin leather gloves (I have Reynaud's syndrome) during the move from Chicago nearly 5 years ago!]

:thermo: :eek:
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#7 Postby Miss Mary » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:48 pm

Kelly - LOL!! Sure...

I don't know what it is about this recipe but it just tastes so good. Maybe it's all the spices, which just give it more taste, not hot-spicy taste, or the fact that no beef is in it. In some vegetable canned soups you have stringy beef chunks - ewww!!!

I mainly tried this recipe b/c my oldest daughter is a vegetarian now. And we all eat 2 to 3 meals a week w/o meat.

You honestly don't even miss meat in it!!! In fact in her bowl, I added tofu chunks once. That's going a bit too far for my bowl, but she said they tasted good in the soup.

Mary
0 likes   

Dee Bee
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Dee Bee » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:49 pm

P.S. Re other threads in this forum and "Off Topic" --

"What -- no Rotel??!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#9 Postby Miss Mary » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:52 pm

Dee Bee wrote:P.S. Re other threads in this forum and "Off Topic" --

LOL

Now Dee, maybe YOU could try adding Rotel to this recipe!!!

I have added my own ingredients from the original recipe printed on the back of Kroger brand canned vegetable broth. Adding shredded green cabbage, omitting canned tomatoes with V-8 and near the end, adding seeded/chopped Roma tomatoes.

The recipe I posted here is the one I follow now.

What would Rotel add to this recipe? LOL Just curious.....

Mary
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#10 Postby southerngale » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:56 pm

Alright...I printed this out and I'll take it to the grocery store to get what ingredients I don't have. I'm not a huge meat eater so I won't miss the meat at all.

About how much does this make? If I'm going to make it, I plan on eating it for several days. :)
0 likes   

Dee Bee
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Dee Bee » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:19 pm

Miss Mary wrote:
Dee Bee wrote:P.S. Re other threads in this forum and "Off Topic" --

LOL

Now Dee, maybe YOU could try adding Rotel to this recipe!!!

I have added my own ingredients from the original recipe printed on the back of Kroger brand canned vegetable broth. Adding shredded green cabbage, omitting canned tomatoes with V-8 and near the end, adding seeded/chopped Roma tomatoes.

The recipe I posted here is the one I follow now.

What would Rotel add to this recipe? LOL Just curious.....

Mary

Mary, I'm going to try your recipe first because of your testimonial to its yumminess.

[...BTW, have you considered a career in Sales? You really are GOOD: clear, informative, "not-fakey" sincere, persuasive ...! :D ]

My hubby has a proverbial cast-iron stomach when it comes to hot peppers. :grrr: But I think I'll wait until our next cold wave to experiment with Rotel. (Just call me Dr. Frankenstein.... ) :lol: :lol:
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Lindaloo » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:21 pm

I am trying this today. Was very easy to put together. Also it smells great!!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#13 Postby Miss Mary » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:23 pm

Kelly - this yields about 6-8 bowls. I also add water to thin it out if it gets too thick.

I will tell you the pasta my kids love are something called Pippette's. I added small shells this past time. And did I hear the complaints!!! "Wrong pasta Mom".....LOL

Dee - why thank you!!! I learned to cook and bake (and sew) in HS, from a nun, in Home Ec class. She had a no-nonsense, by the book way of cooking. I think of her to this day (we all used to say what a waste, she would have made the perfect stay at home wife/mom back then!). She told us all the no-no's, what to avoid, what would work. When I accidentally end up with an all white meal - white rice, halibut, corn, etc., for an example - my family says - oh no, what would Sr. Majorie say Mom? LOL She always said colorful meals looked nice too....

Linda - let me know if you liked it!!!

Mary
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Lindaloo » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:43 pm

Miss Mary your recipe was delicious. I really appreciate you posting it.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#15 Postby Miss Mary » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:56 pm

Lindaloo wrote:Miss Mary your recipe was delicious. I really appreciate you posting it.

Whew! So glad it turned out well Linda! Vegetable soup is just vegetable soup usually, but not with this recipe. See I thought it was good but when your kids wants seconds, you notice!

Mary
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Lindaloo » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:09 am

My kids wanted seconds and want me to make it again this weekend. :D I am sick with the flu right now and the thought of cooking turns my stomach. lol.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#17 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:35 pm

Oh Linda - you caught the flu?!!!! That's not good.

You need someone to make soup for you now!!! Wish I could....

Hope you feel better.

Mary
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Lindaloo » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:55 pm

Thanks Miss Mary. :D
0 likes   

PurdueWx80
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#19 Postby PurdueWx80 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:22 pm

There is NOTHING better than homemade veggie soup this time of year. My mom always cans and freezes vegetables from our 1/2-acre garden in the late summer. As it turns out, her soup is made almost exclusively from home grown veggies...even the soup base is made from canned fresh tomato juice. You have NO idea how much of a difference it can make in the taste unless you try it yourself. MMMMMM I want some right now! By the way, one of my uncles put some fresh avocado slices in the soup once it is ready - it makes a really good addition, believe it or not.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#20 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:02 am

Fresh avacado slices huh? Wow, that sounds interesting. And I was just reading that we all should eat avacodes frequently, daily if possible. An avacado contains the good oils, nutrients we need. I'll have to remember that.

Now you've made me long a bowl of this soup. You know I would freeze some but within 1 day of making this soup, it is all gone. The night after I made it for dinner, whatever I make that night to eat is not good enough for our youngest daughter. I could have her favorite foods prepared and she'd ask - have any soup leftover? Before I can answer, she's opening the fridge door to 'just warm up a bowl'.....LOL She could live on this soup.

Thanks for the avacado tip Andy! It does intrique me......

Mary
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”