Potato Salad Time Saver

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

Potato Salad Time Saver

#1 Postby JenBayles » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:49 pm

I rarely make potato salad because it's such a pain in the arse. Every recipe I've ever seen says to boil the spuds whole, let 'em cool (takes forever) and then peel the skins. What a mess! Don't know why I never figured this out, but a couple of weeks ago I got volunteered to make a large batch in a hurry and got one of those "light bulb" ideas.

I chopped the spuds up raw and threw the pieces in a steamer basket. 20 minutes later, perfectly cooked, unsoggy, unspoiled spuds ready to go. I know somebody else has to have figured this idea out before, but I thought I'd share just in case.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#2 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:07 pm

Great idea! I'll remember that trick, next summer. I'm always reluctant to make potato salad b/c of the hassle, of which you stated so well Jen. Every cookbook says to boil first, with skins on. Then yes it is a major pain to peel soggy, wet potatoes!

Just a year ago, I began pouring muffin, cupcake, pancake batter from a tall plastic cup (the kind you keep after having a beer from a festival, perfect size), onto the skillet or muffin pans. Don't know why I never figured out this trick either! It only took me about 50 years to do so too....he he Prior to that I was using a gravy ladle, which got batter all over the counter and pans. The cheap beer cup works great!

Any more tricks up your sleeves - fellow S2K chefs?

Mary
0 likes   

dizzyfish
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby dizzyfish » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:07 pm

I'm pretty sure you all know this one.
I use a melon ball maker to make the small meatballs my hubby loves so much. It used to take me forever to make those. :roll:
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#4 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:30 pm

Another great idea! My homemade meatballs are never round.

Here's another of mine - I spray the backs of spoons with Pam or similar type product when smoothing out bread batter, or sticky Rice Krispie treats in a pan. Works like a charm!
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby JenBayles » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:08 pm

Love the meatball idea! I don't have any trouble keeping them round, but I really hate the feel of ground meat on my hands... bleeeeeccccchh!

Miss Mary - have you ever seen some of the really old recipes for things like popcorn balls? They would tell the cook to thoroughly butter her hands prior to forming the balls. Same thing goes for anything sticky like Rice Krispy treats. Lord, that sounds good right about now - I haven't made those in ages and I'm thinking I may just have to head out to the grocery.
:cheesy:
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#6 Postby Miss Mary » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:59 pm

Jen - use the microwave to melt your butter and marshmallows, my neighbor gave me that tip once. She said forget the pan/stove method. It just takes about 3 or 4 minutes and it's all melted. It's still a gooey mess once it's stirred with the cereal and before it goes in a pan. But they are so good! And easy!
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”