Found! 2 Earth-Size Alien Planets, the Smallest Exoplanets Y

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

hurricane25

Found! 2 Earth-Size Alien Planets, the Smallest Exoplanets Y

#1 Postby hurricane25 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:29 am

Found! 2 Earth-Size Alien Planets, the Smallest Exoplanets Yet

by Clara Moskowitz, SPACE.com Assistant Managing Editor

Date: 20 December 2011 Time: 01:00 PM ET

Found! 2 Earth-Size Alien Planets, the Smallest Exoplanets Yet

View full size image
http://www.space.com/13990-2-earth-size ... orlds.html

This story was updated at 1:54 p.m. ET.

Two planets orbiting a star 950 light-years from Earth are the smallest, most Earth-size alien worlds known, astronomers announced today (Dec. 20). One of the planets is actually smaller than Earth, scientists say.

An artist's rendering of the newfound alien planet Kepler-20e, which scientists say is smaller than Earth, at about 0.87 times the width of our planet.
CREDIT: NASA/JPL-Caltech/T. Pyle
View full size image

These planets, while roughly the size of our planet Earth, are circling very close to their star, giving them fiery temperatures that are most likely too hot to support life, researchers said. The discovery, however, brings scientists one step closer to finding a true twin of Earth that may be habitable.

YAY!
0 likes   

StormingB81
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby StormingB81 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:17 am

I thought I saw another story where they found one that had an average temp of 72 degrees that was 650 light year away or something like that but I tell you what the movie "Contact" said it the best..I hope we arn't the only ones because that would just be a waste of space.
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”