Sun Spot Number and ONI between Solar Cycle 23 & 24

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Sun Spot Number and ONI between Solar Cycle 23 & 24

#1 Postby gigabite » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:39 pm

This is a graph of the sun spot number over a solar irradiance graph. It looks like there is a direct relationship. I got the text sun spot data from here. I was expecting that there was a direct relationship between heat from irradiance and the ONI. 62 percent of the time the so called el Nino event happens when the sun spot number is less than moderate. The significance of that is that the el Nino is not a heating response it is a cooling response. Since it is an oceanic anomaly and water is a moderator of climate I would expect to find a large land area that is cooling at the same time the equatorial Pacific is warming, and see how the prevailing winds change over time. The source of the Nile so to speak.
Last edited by gigabite on Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Solar Irradiance and The Sun Spot Number

#2 Postby gigabite » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:45 pm

This graphic demonstrates the relationship between the suns heating and the Oceanic Nino Index. The previous graphic shows the relationship between irradiance and sun spot number. To produce this graphic I used the CPC's ONI and pasted it sideways in a excel sheet and ordered the nino events numerically to produce a high medium low look that fit the scale of the sunspot plot.
0 likes   

gigabite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby gigabite » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:56 pm

This graphic shows the decline in the intensity of solar irradiance along side with the increase of el Nino’s. Currently there has been 60 ONI periods of neutral or la nina. That is a long time. A similar occurrence of Nino free climate happened after the super Solar Cycle 19 with 52 ONI periods of neutral. Cycle 23 wasn’t particularly spectacular, but cycle 24 maximum is certainly dilutive.
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”