Total Solar Eclipse: Post images/Videos of surroundings,traffic,eclipse

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Total Solar Eclipse: Post images/Videos of surroundings,traffic,eclipse

#1 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

This thread is for the members to post all the details about this total solar eclipse that will be seen by millons in the U.S on the track where it will be all dark from Oregon to South Carolina. It will be the last opportunity to see the eclipse for this generation as the next one will be in 2045.

Countdown https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/g ... sive&csz=1

Times from beginning to end in South Carolina:

Code: Select all

Lake Moultrie, SC
1:15 PM EDT - Eclipse begins
2:44 PM EDT - Totality begins
2:47 PM EDT - Totality ends
4:08 PM EDT - Eclipse ends

Charleston, SC
1:17 PM EDT - Eclipse begins
2:46 PM EDT - Totality begins
2:48 PM EDT - Totality ends
4:10 PM EDT - Eclipse ends

Also if any of you travel to the total darkness track areas to see it in person,come and post images.

Where I am In Puerto Rico,80% of the sun will be covered.

http://circa.com/scitech/science/nasa-s ... =hootsuite

https://twitter.com/JeanSuriel/status/816288346100076544

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Total Sun Eclipse (August 21)

#2 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Can't wait for this -- going to NE Georgia for the totality. Hope the weather is good.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:38 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Yes, I am planning to travel within 3 hours from here to Charleston, SC for the event to see as close as 100% totality of the eclipse as you will have it there. Looking forward to the event. This possibly could be my last best opportunity to see a total solar eclipse in my lifetime. I hope to be around in the next 28 years, but only God holds that answer.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby WeatherGuesser » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:06 am

Seems like I read something a couple of years ago about all the motel rooms near here being booked up and parties planed, yadda-yadda-yadda.

It'll probably be cloudy that day.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Total Solar Eclipse (August 21) (100% dark from Oregon to South Carolina)

#6 Postby cycloneye » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:41 am

For those who will go to South Carolina to see the eclipse,here are the details of the times when it begins and ends on that afternoon by the Charleston SC NWS.

Monday, August 21, 2017, a total solar eclipse will track from the Pacific to the Atlantic. The shadow of the moon will track over parts of the following states: Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, and South Carolina. The total eclipse will begin near Newport, Oregon at 1:16 PM EDT and will end near McClellanville, South Carolina at 2:48 PM EDT.  A partial eclipse will occur for the rest of the United States. Such an event will not happen at this scale again until 2045.

http://www.weather.gov/chs/eclipse
1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:46 am

Interesting that McClellanville, SC will be ground zero to see the total eclipse as its ending in the United States. McClellanville was also where Hurricane Matthew made landfall last October. McClellanville will be the spot for 100% totality and seeing the incredible "Ring of Fire" phenomenon. Of course, do not forget the special eye protection you will need to view it of course.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I definitely plan to take the drive up there for this amazing event. Also, I hope the weather will be good for the event as well. I remember the March 1970 total eclipse in this region as a very young boy at the time. It was a memorable spectacle.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby cycloneye » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:58 am

northjaxpro wrote:Interesting that McClellanville, SC will be ground zero to see the total eclipse as its ending in the United States. McClellanville was also where Hurricane Matthew made landfall last October. McClellanville will be the spot for 100% totality and seeing the incredible "Ring of Fire" phenomenon. Of course, do not forget the special eye protection you will need to view it of course.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, I definitely plan to take the drive up there for this amazing event. Also, I hope the weather will be good for the event as well. I remember the March 1970 total eclipse in this region as a very young boy at the time. It was a memorable spectacle.

The weather is the wildcard but hopefully,it will be good.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:13 am

Also, to all the people who will be fortunate to be in the path of seeing the total solar eclipse, here is a follow-up on the serious matter of protecting your eyes for the event from NationalEclipse.com:

No question about it. You *definitely* need special eclipse safety glasses to view an eclipse. Here's what you need to know to stay safe: You MUST use special eclipse safety glasses to view a partial eclipse, an annular eclipse, and the partial phases of a total eclipse. To do otherwise is risking permanent eye damage and even blindness. The ONLY time it's safe to look at a TOTAL eclipse without proper eye protection is during the very brief period of totality when the Sun is 100 percent blocked by the Moon. If you're in a location where the eclipse won't be total, there is NEVER a time when it's safe to look with unprotected eyes. (regular sunglasses are NOT safe)

Also, for McClellanville, SC on August 21, 2017, here are the important times for the event:

Partial phase start: 1:17:41PM (EDT), at "2:00 o'clock" on the sun's disk

Totality Start*: 2:46:17PM (EDT)

Duration of Totality*: 2 minutes, 33 seconds
Last edited by northjaxpro on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:32 am

What about digital cameras now? They weren't around for the last one here, so there hasn't been much discussion. I won't need to go anywhere other than outside in my own yard.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:57 am

Yes, Weather Guesser, digital cameras will do fine. But, you will definitely need the easiest or less expensive solar filters that will allow you and your digital camera to safely view the eclipse with eclipse glasses.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:47 am

northjaxpro wrote:Yes, Weather Guesser, digital cameras will do fine. But, you will definitely need the easiest or less expensive solar filters that will allow you and your digital camera to safely view the eclipse with eclipse glasses.

I guess that's the point ... you can't just set a digital video (or still) camera pointed up and forget it? The image sensor will be affected?
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:18 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:Yes, Weather Guesser, digital cameras will do fine. But, you will definitely need the easiest or less expensive solar filters that will allow you and your digital camera to safely view the eclipse with eclipse glasses.

I guess that's the point ... you can't just set a digital video (or still) camera pointed up and forget it? The image sensor will be affected?

I hope this should make for much better specificity and clarity. I went ahead and found one of the best links about viewing the eclipse; for both photographing the event with digital cameras, and following the proper measures for protecting our own eyes:

https://www.nyip.edu/photo-articles/arc ... ar-eclipse
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:19 am

northjaxpro wrote:
WeatherGuesser wrote:

I hope this should make for much better specificity and clarity. I went ahead and found one of the best links about viewing the eclipse; for both photographing the event with digital cameras, and following the proper measures for protecting our own eyes:

https://www.nyip.edu/photo-articles/arc ... ar-eclipse

I guess I'm not being clear either. I'm wondering about setting up a security (IP type) or web cam connected to a PC to view on a monitor in real time and be able to record or capture screenshots. I have no intention of looking at the event directly.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:47 pm

:uarrow: Sorry for the confusion. Just trying to offer assistance.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#16 Postby wxman57 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:42 am

I drove to the annular eclipse in south Louisiana on May 30, 1984. An annular eclipse is when the moon is far enough away from the earth such that its disk doesn't quite cover the sun, leaving a ring of sun around the moon's disk. The moon covered 99.8% of the sun then. I couldn't see any of the sun when the moon passed in front. The sky doesn't get dark (like at night) during a total eclipse, but it does darken enough that you can see some of the brighter stars and planets.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Total Solar Eclipse (August 21 begins at 1:15 PM EDT) (Totality from Oregon to South Carolina) 160 days left

#17 Postby cycloneye » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Added a countdown to the first post as the anticipation to the event builds.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Total Solar Eclipse (August 21 1:15 PM EDT) (Totality from Oregon to South Carolina) 160 days left

#18 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:40 pm

^^ You should start a Poll for people to 'vote' if it will be clear or cloudy in their area.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Total Solar Eclipse (August 21 1:15 PM EDT) (Totality from Oregon to South Carolina) 157 days left

#19 Postby cycloneye » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:20 pm

Good guide about how to watch and how to not watch the eclipse.

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Total Solar Eclipse (August 21 1:15 PM EDT) (Totality from Oregon to South Carolina) 157 days left

#20 Postby cycloneye » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Great map with the different times of duration in SC where you can see the eclipse in totality.

0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”