Total Solar Eclipse: Post images/Videos of surroundings,traffic,eclipse

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Total Solar Eclipse (August 21 1:15 PM EDT) (Totality from Oregon to South Carolina)

#141 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:33 am

Tick-tock.

48 hours.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Total Solar Eclipse (August 21 1:15 PM EDT) (Totality from Oregon to South Carolina)

#142 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Paducah KY
249 PM CDT Sat Aug 19 2017

...Eclipse Forecast...

The 12Z guidance continues to develop convection over portions of
southeast Missouri by midday Monday and then attempts to build it
northeast into southwest Illinois in the afternoon. Of course,
these models have no clue about the eclipse, so if this is pure
heat of the day stuff, guidance is most likely overdone in the
total eclipse area.
Have limited PoPs mainly to slight chances.

Temperatures on Monday may not be quite as hot as Sunday, but the
humidity will likely be worse. As the sun resumes full power
after the eclipse, portions of southeast Missouri and southern
Illinois could see heat indices 100-105 and that could lead to
some isolated to scattered convection. Also wonder if a
differential heating boundary may develop and focus convection along
the edge of the totality area. Lots of things to consider for the
diurnal/convective trends. Will continue the Special Weather
Statement for near Advisory level heat and humidity expected
Sunday and Monday.

At this time, it appears that west Kentucky, especially the Lakes
and Pennyrile regions, will have the best weather (least clouds,
heat and humidity) for viewing the eclipse.

:D
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#143 Postby weathaguyry » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:53 pm

I don't know, I think that maybe the sun being covered will lessen the effects of daytime heating, and that clouds will not be as widespread as forecast.
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#144 Postby cycloneye » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:06 pm

weathaguyry wrote:I don't know, I think that maybe the sun being covered will lessen the effects of daytime heating, and that clouds will not be as widespread as forecast.

That is a very good point.The only thing is the whole eclipse will last around 3 hours and maybe not enough cooling occurs.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

bamajammer4eva
Category 4
Category 4

#145 Postby bamajammer4eva » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:24 am

weathaguyry wrote:I don't know, I think that maybe the sun being covered will lessen the effects of daytime heating, and that clouds will not be as widespread as forecast.

Im surprised a 2 minute drop in sunlight would affect heating even in the areas of totallity but NWS Tallahassee is even forecasting temps to be a few degrees cooler here where we will only be 87% blocked which doesn't make sense since we won't notice anything here without glasses supposedly. My understanding is that the whole reason eclipses are so dangerous on the eyes is because for us 100% of the sunlight will be beaming down through the 13% of the sun that isn't blocked like covering 87% of a water faucet causes all the water to spray harder out the other 13% that is unblocked.

Here is Tallahassee Eclipse talk

Given the ample moisture on Monday afternoon combined with moderate
instability, cloud cover should become fairly widespread as
scattered showers and thunderstorms develop across our area. As a
result, it may be difficult to see the solar eclipse. However, there
should be breaks in the clouds in some areas, and the decrease in
solar radiation during the peak eclipse time could cause some minor
temperature decreases across our area. As a result of this effect
combined with increasing cloud cover, high temperatures should be a
couple degrees cooler across our area on Monday than on Sunday.
Hot
and very humid conditions will still persist each day, resulting in
maximum heat indices near 105 on Sunday and around 100 on Monday.

Also...Wow! How are the weather models picking up on this???? I thought they only factored in the atmosphere with no influence from space occurrences

https://twitter.com/SsbenjStan/status/899124108822171648

0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#146 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:57 am

Good morning everyone! Well, we are now on the eve of the Great American Total Solar Eclipse! I am preparing to head out to travel a bit later this morning. I just checked the latest forecast discussions for South Carolina out of the NWS offices from Greenville/Spartanburg, Columbia and Charleston .

Monday(tomorrow) is going to be challenging for maximizing odds for viewing the eclipse, mainly in the southeast part of the state. I have contingencies in place to act accordingly, based on weather conditions. As it stands currently, the greatest percentages for clouds and possible showers are in the Charleston forecast area, with 30% on Monday. GFS shows a possible inverted trough near and off shore the GA and SC during the day leading up to the total solar eclipse.

The Greenville and Columbia mets are fairly.confident with the EURO in that it has the upper level ridge building into the upstate region and SC Midlands region during Monday. Greenville is calling for sunny skies on Monday and Columbia metro area is only placing a 20% chance by 18Z, the peak time of the eclipse.

Based on my gut instincts and after analyzing the latest runs early this morning, the farther north and northwest within the path, (away from the coast) the better the chances will be for decent viewing for this event. My best tip for those joining me to view the eclipse in South Carolina: Check the afternoon forecast packages later today, which is generally released by the weather forecast offices(WFOs) from 2-4 pm. Cloud cover and possible showers may be a concern along the SC coastal region and the Low Country region in the Charleston metro area and surrounding communitites during Monday.

Traffic is expected to be extremely heavy across the entire South Carolina region, especially the Columbia and Charleston metro areas. So, if you have contingencies in place and weather forces to consider using them to maximize viewing this eclipse, I definitely would not waste too much time to act on them.

Safe travels to everyone out there making the journey beginning today to the path of totality from Oregon to South Carolina. Please, of course do not forget your eclipse glasses!

I will check back hopefully again after I position myself at my destination late today or tonight.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#147 Postby cycloneye » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:23 am

Hopefully in SC things are clear but this does not look good.

@NWSCharlestonSC
The system near the east coast of FL this AM could interfere with our view of the #eclipse. Latest sky forecast: http://www.weather.gov/chs/eclipse

https://twitter.com/NWSCharlestonSC/status/899195770351624192

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#148 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:48 am

:uarrow: Yeah, that is the trough I discussed in my earlier post above which GFS is forecast to move N/NW through tomorrow, and be positioned near or just off the South Carolina coast. I am watching this very closely obviously.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#149 Postby tolakram » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:49 am

northjaxpro wrote:Good morning everyone!

I agree, northwest is best.

GFS cloud forecast looks ok (high clouds) for where we are going in the KY/TN area.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#150 Postby tolakram » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:51 am

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#151 Postby cycloneye » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:01 am

For San Juan,Puerto Rico,we will have 84% of the sun covered.Hopefully the weather cooperates.

0 likes   

Kennethb
Category 2
Category 2

#152 Postby Kennethb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:56 am

Traveled Saturday from Baton Rouge and now at my sister's house in Buford George, on the NE outskirts of Atlanta. Very fortunate that the weather appears to be about as favorable as you could get for August 21. Currently we are planning out headed to Simpsonvile SC at 6:00 am Monday morning. I am still concerned this may be not be early enough. Any comments from ya'll who are more familiar with I-85 in these areas are appreciated. I do have some maps so I can travel off interstate roads if needed.
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#153 Postby weathaguyry » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:50 am

I traveled all the way from New York to Tennessee, and early tomorrow morning we will make the 2 hour drive to North Carolina, I just pray that the mountains will not enhance convection like the NWS is saying it might.
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#154 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 am

My opinion is that you need to travel to and be at viewing destination today so you can be ready first thing in the morning and avoid the roads tomorrow entirely. And then probably wait until late tomorrow or Tuesday to begin the return.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#155 Postby tolakram » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:38 am

We are leaving at 3am tomorrow morning, earlier if I see google traffic show problems. I expect a lot of back roads and I'm not sure if we can make it back in one day or not. :) Water, food, blankets, etc all packed.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#156 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:40 am

For those who insist on traveling tomorrow:

Remember that even a single blown tire can cause a multi-mile, multi-hour traffic jam. Temperatures in many areas are expected to be in the 90s with Heat Indices in the low 100s. You do NOT want to be stuck on an Interstate freeway in those conditions at all, let alone without supplies. Carry an extra cooler or two with cold drinks and foods. I have seen cases where traffic jams have lasted over night, so you should have extra medications on hand if you need them. Do not expect any traffic jams to be cleared quickly. There have been many cases where emergency vehicles haven't even been able to get to scene quickly due to traffic. If you get sick in a vehicle in traffic, they may not be able to get to you.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#157 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:45 am

tolakram wrote:We are leaving at 3am tomorrow morning, earlier if I see google traffic show problems.

Are you familiar with this:

http://kytc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webapp ... 6cd0f9d45d

I think they have a mobile version too.

This one is weather stations and conditions: http://rwis.kytc.ky.gov/ There used to be some traffic cameras, but I don't know if they still work.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#158 Postby tolakram » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:55 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:
tolakram wrote:We are leaving at 3am tomorrow morning, earlier if I see google traffic show problems.

Are you familiar with this:

http://kytc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webapp ... 6cd0f9d45d

I think they have a mobile version too.

This one is weather stations and conditions: http://rwis.kytc.ky.gov/ There used to be some traffic cameras, but I don't know if they still work.

No, that is nice, thanks. I had the mobile version installed a few years ago when needing to drive in a snowstorm. It didn't work very well but I think I'll install it again, just in case it has more updated info than google.

I expect total gridlock on the highways but I can't help but wonder if this has been a tad overhyped. We will find out soon enough!
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#159 Postby LarryWx » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:04 am

I wonder if enough people are going to be scared away due to the traffic hype to keep the traffic from getting too bad in at least some areas. This is very hard to predict as analogs are lacking and traffic conditions will vary widely from location to location. This reminds me of something Yogi Berra once said: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." Could that end up happening in many areas?
Perhaps it won't be as bad as feared in some areas leading up to it due to enough folks going early and allowing the traffic to be spread out but maybe still bad just afterward as many rush home at the same time??
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#160 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:20 am

^^ Consider traffic around Labor Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, etc. And that's something people do every year, not for a so-called once in a lifetime experience. We can all hope for less of a mess, but we'll know more by Tuesday. :roll:

The only thing I can be absolutely certain of is that I will not be stuck in traffic. :cheesy:
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”