Total Solar Eclipse: Post images/Videos of surroundings,traffic,eclipse

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Total Solar Eclipse (August 21 1:15 PM EDT) (Totality from Oregon to South Carolina)

#161 Postby weathaguyry » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:24 am

I think that E-W roads that have large portions of the road going through the eclipse will be packed, like I-20, 26, and 40. Maybe taking roads that travel N-S that cross the totality instead of ride along it, like some local state routes, may not be as crowded.
1 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Kennethb
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Total Solar Eclipse (August 21 1:15 PM EDT) (Totality from Oregon to South Carolina)

#162 Postby Kennethb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:36 am

I see the traffic tomorrow as a cross between evacuating multiple large towns and cities from a hurricane and going to the tailgate before the big game.

The eclipse is both the "hurricane" and the game. Except for this hurricane people are headed towards it. Many people have and continue to slowly evacuate during the weekend. Many more people, such as I, will evacuate the day of the "hurricane" and game day with more and more people and cars flowing into the path of totality. As soon as the game is over, a mass exodus back to the towns and cities occurs as Tuesday everything is back to normal.
1 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#163 Postby galaxy401 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:16 am

I'm certainly not going out on the highways tomorrow. Be too stressful and probably not worth it. Unfortunately, they're now saying that the weather will be cloudy where I live tomorrow. :(
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#164 Postby tolakram » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:58 pm

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#165 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Well greetings everyone! I have just arrived and checked in my hotel here in Augusta, Georgia. I have acted on my contingency based on the latest forecasts throughout the day. I put my I Phone to good use today for sure (stopping to use the phone, not while driving of course) and made a decision to change my plan.

Looking at satellite images and also interpreting the forecast discussions from the National Weather Service offices from Greenville/Spartanburg , and also the National Weather Service office in Columbia, South Carolina and Charleston, my gut instincts, which I discussed earlier today before leaving home to come up here, have led me to act on my contingency to come farther north and northwest from my initial plan of going to Santee, SC. originally had planned to go to Santee to maximize my viewing chances for the eclipse. I was extremely lucky to get a hotel room at this late time 24 hours before the event Augusta. is just outside of the path of totality by about 30 miles, but I am getting up very very early in the morning to hopefully beat the traffic into Columbia, SC , which is only normally an hour drive away from here in Augusta. But with the expected huge traffic expected, I am headed out very early to get to the SC State Musuem and position myself for the eclipse. '

NWS raised their precip probabilities from earlier today to 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms across the Charleston area and coastal region with the as an inverted trough, which is approaching the South Carolina coast from the south and southeast currently and could cause issues for viewing the eclipse down in that p art of the state. I'm very concerned about clouds obscuring the view of the eclipse across Southeast South Carolina, and possible rain and thunderstorms also a possibility down there.
The Greenville office is calling for sunny skies tomorrow and the Columbia NWS office is only calling for just a very slight 20% chance of rain and thunderstorms afl for tomorrow, based on their latest forecast.

So everyone be safe traveling. I wish you all happy viewing tomorrow.Don't forget your solar eclipse glasses! I hope to check in during the day tomorrow .I hope to get some images of the eclipse and post them here on this threat You all be safe!!
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Fishing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#166 Postby Fishing » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:12 pm

There is an app called SCDOT 511 that shows traffic conditions . Safe travels everyone! I'll be here in my back yard hoping for no clouds but even if there are some it's still going to be quite a deal. Happy 2017 Eclipse!
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#167 Postby tolakram » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:40 pm

So far traffic reports are mostly all clear. This is either fantastic or frightening. Fantastic if most of the travelers are already there, frightening if everyone decides to drive tomorrow. :D

https://twitter.com/jwarvely/status/899375053334360068

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#168 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:06 pm

National Weather Service Paducah KY
318 PM CDT Sun Aug 20 2017

...Eclipse Forecast...

The 12Z models are emphasizing Iowa for MCS activity tonight, but
it will be moving east and is forecast to die out over northern
Illinois and northern Missouri Monday morning. This should keep
anvil blow off to our north. We continue to play a general diurnal
scenario with plentiful cu development, but the eclipse may limit
this some. There continues to be some signal for convective
development around midday, mainly in the Ozark Foothills. This
activity may eventually spread eastward a bit into southwest
Illinois most likely after the total eclipse around 21Z.
Elsewhere, the area should be dry.

Heat indices will be similar to today`s levels with some
modulation by the eclipse. The worst conditions will likely be
right after the eclipse. We will continue with the Special Weather
Statement for the heat. If we hear of significant numbers of heat
issues from this afternoon, we may need to go ahead and issue a
Heat Advisory for tomorrow, but for now we have not heard of any
such issues.

0 likes   

Happy Pelican
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#169 Postby Happy Pelican » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:43 am

I'm on the Jersey barrier islands ( about a mile from where the coaster went into the Atlantic from Sandy). Word around here is lots of folks plan on heading to the beach to see the eclipse. It's already pretty congested here since this is a popular vacation week for families before school and fall sports start up so I think I'll sit on my deck with my son and avoid the chaos. I'm feeling a bit uneasy about the eclipse the last few days. Meh, I'm just like that.

Be safe everyone!
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#170 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:41 am

After many months of countdown finnally Eclipse day has arrived! Let's see how the weather cooperates in all the areas.Here in Puerto Rico,only western PR will be cloudy with showers but the rest of the island will be with scattered cumulus clouds.Be safe viewing it even with the special glasses as I have seen reports of some fake ones around. Have safe travel.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#171 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:42 am

Good morning. I am here in Columbia, South Carolina . Currently, a high veil canopy of thin cirrus clouds are over the city, otherwise for right now it is a beautiful morning here. The forecast today is calling for a 20% chance of showers here in the Columbia area. The inverted trough, which is currently right along the coast of South Carolina, is forecast to stay generally in that area throughout the day. So unfortunately, it looks like clouds and rain and scattered thunderstorms are in the forecast down in the Charleston area and also the Low Country area of South Carolina. That's why I made a decision to use my alternative option and instead of going to Santee, South Carolina, I stayed the overnight in Augusta, Georgia. I got up early this morning and came on in now. I will say this that traffic was not bad at all at as I cruised into Columbia a short time ago. Traffic was not an issue on Interstate 20 whatsoever early this morning. so there was no traffic issues at all and for the moment..However, I am suspecting later today and after the eclipse that traffic will be very heavy in the Columbia area, so I will do my best to keep you updated today. Hopefully , I will be able to post images of the eclipse and keep you updated on the goings-on here in Columbia.

Happy Eclipse Day everyone! Happy viewing!!!
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Kennethb
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Total Solar Eclipse: Post images/Videos of surroundings,traffic,eclipse

#172 Postby Kennethb » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:24 am

Easy drive from Buford Georgia up 1-85. Even made a side trip through Clemson. Now at Cracker Barrel in simpsonville near where we will view the eclipse. Not crowded at all. Skies generally clear with a few mid level stratus.
0 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#173 Postby weathaguyry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:25 am

I am currently driving to Andrews, NC from Gatlinburg, TN, and there was just about no traffic at all, which was a really nice surprise! Let's hope there are no clouds and no traffic on the way back!!!!
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#174 Postby AdamFirst » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:28 am

After a dreary, wet day yesterday due to a passing tropical wave it is nothing but blue skies here today in East Central Florida, a reprieve before 92L comes tomorrow and creates a potential multi day rain event. Picked the perfect day to not rain. We will be getting 83% coverage in Port Saint Lucie.
0 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#175 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:18 am

We made it to Lafayette TN, 2 minute totality here. Took combination of interstate and back roads, no traffic. Now we sit and wait 4 hours.

McDonald's employees mostly unaware or not caring, no idea if town has plans or not. Will be interesting to see if anyone shows up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#176 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:29 am

@NWSColumbia
A few high clouds showing up and fog burning off this morning. (GOES16 data is preliminary and non-operational) #Eclipse

https://twitter.com/NWSColumbia/status/899623990284734464

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#177 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:32 am

tolakram wrote:We made it to Lafayette TN, 2 minute totality here.

Not where I though you were going.

Another 10-15 miles down Hartsville road towards Hartsville and Dixon Springs will put you closer to the center line though.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: RE: Re: Total Solar Eclipse: Post images/Videos of surroundings,traffic,eclipse

#178 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:13 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:
tolakram wrote:We made it to Lafayette TN, 2 minute totality here.

Not where I though you were going.

Another 10-15 miles down Hartsville road towards Hartsville and Dixon Springs will put you closer to the center line though.

Yea, we changed to further south based on cloud predictions. Found a little park here behind McDonalds and as soon ascwe pulled in so did 4 others. Talk about timing. Wisconsin, Texas, Maryland, and another couple from near Cincy.

Hartsville gives us 30 more seconds but I like this spot so here we are. Hopefully everyone has clear skies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#179 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:23 am

@NASA
Acting Admin Lightfoot, Deputy Admin Lesa Roe & @Dr_ThomasZ are ready for #SolarEclipse2017! Are you? Get tips: http://go.nasa.gov/2fYhu1e

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/899636422734491648

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#180 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:49 am

One of our pro mets (JohnathanBelles) is in Nashville,Tennessee.

Made it to @VanderbiltU and Nashville for the #Eclipse2017

https://twitter.com/JonathanBelles/status/899642327605575680

0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”