Total Solar Eclipse: Post images/Videos of surroundings,traffic,eclipse

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Total Solar Eclipse: Post images/Videos of surroundings,traffic,eclipse

#201 Postby weathaguyry » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:47 pm

I couldn't have asked any better weather for the eclipse, and that was truly one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced in my whole entire life!
1 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#202 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:12 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#203 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Saw it hear through a welder's mask at ~65% totality...the light looked very sepia...it was weird.
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#204 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Even here in the 100% zone, it didn't get totally dark. More like Dusk. Photocell controlled lights came on, but there were still shadows everywhere. I didn't notice any odd behavior from the birds either. Hummingbirds were at the feeders the whole time.
0 likes   

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#205 Postby PTrackerLA » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Experienced a 73% eclipse here, could definitely tell a change in the daylight and the sun did not feel hot. Many people were "let down" but that's their own fault for not having realistic expectations where they were. I thought it was a really cool experience and most importantly I got a picture with my 4 month old son so I can get him excited about going to Texas in 2024 8-) .
0 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

#206 Postby TheAustinMan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:00 pm

Here in Austin we got 65% coverage on the solar eclipse. It was nice that my high school bought solar eclipse viewing glasses for everyone to view the spectacle. I took a few photos of the eclipse by sticking a few eclipse glasses in front of the camera lens - hopefully that was sufficient to protect both my eyes and the camera. Here's one from the height of the eclipse here at around 1:13pm CT. Things seemed a little dimmer outside.

0 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

JaxGator
Category 2
Category 2

#207 Postby JaxGator » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:21 pm

I did not see the Eclipse at my house, but it did get dark enough for street lights to come on and the sky turned to a darker blue hue (in addition to the storm clouds overhead). However, some folks at Downtown Jax and and NAS Jax took some pretty good pics of the Eclipse at its peak. About 90.5-91%.

https://www.facebook.com/NASJacksonvill ... 83/?type=3
0 likes   
The posts or stuff said are NOT an official forecast. Please look to the NHC and NWS for official forecasts and products.

Floyd-1999, Frances-2004, Jeanne-2004, Fay-2008, Beryl-2012, Debby-2012, Colin-2016, Hermine-2016, Julia-2016, Matthew-2016, Irma-2017, Elsa-2021, Idalia-2023.

Go Gators! Go Jags!

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#208 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Our eclipse photos pretty much look like everyone elses, but I thought this was cool. As we got close to totality we noticed the tree we were under was casting crescent shadows on the pavement.

Sure enough, post eclipse, the crescent was reversed.

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#209 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:45 pm

One more.

I just snapped this during totality, the flash lighting up a tree branch :roll: While the moon is blurry you can see the general shape of the corona, and planets. The dot right to the left of the sun may be Mars -- (correction, that would be the star, Regulus) on the far side. I was also able to capture the sky color, still blue, just darker.

Closeup
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Kennethb
Category 2
Category 2

#210 Postby Kennethb » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:34 am

From Baton Rouge I flew to Atlanta and stayed with my sister in Buford.  The drive up I-85 at 5:45 am was a lot smoother than we anticipated.  We watched the eclipse in Simpsonville.  From a weather perspective, we had a very decent cu field that showed some slight towering giving some concern.  The eclipse began at 1:03.  By 1:30 the cu was definitely dissipating such as you would find with a setting sun.  By eclipse time there was hardly a cloud above us.  Did note a storm well to our north over the mountains as was expected.  Definite temperature drop.  By 4:00 as the eclipse ended the cu field began to grow again.  When we left around 5:00 we even had a light show develop to our west.  Very fortunate to have to travel so far and get a spectacular view.  While I have not watched TWC in years, the place where we stayed had it on.  I have to say TWC did a great job with their reports.  Some of the mets had tears in their eyes.  Unfortunate Cantore had a cloud obscure the eclipse during totality.  He said it was a buzz killer.  And the music at the local forecasts were all good rock songs about the sun.  Our phone took us back on the backroads of South Carolina and Georgia as I-85 was wall to wall and very slow.  

Now to plan the trip for April 8, 2024.  During the middle of tornado season and possible impacts from fronts.  
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#211 Postby tolakram » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:04 am

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#212 Postby tolakram » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 am

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#213 Postby 1900hurricane » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:18 am

Here's a simple iPhone picture from totality just outside Glendo, Wyoming. It really was amazing.

https://twitter.com/1900hurricane/status/899923852792274945

Getting back to Texas has been a hassle so far though. I-25 reminded me of a hurricane evacuation yesterday, so I exited and waited for night for it to clear up. The 2024 Eclipse should probably be a little easier for me though since my parents have a house on Lake Travis in the path of totality for that one.
1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#214 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:20 am

Well good late morning everyone. I am wiped out and tired. I got stuck in traffic on Interstate 95 on my way home last night and it took me a trip that is normally 4 hour drive, well last night it took seven and a half hours. I was stuck in traffic on Interstate 95 for over three and a half hours. It was very frustrating. It was very frustrating but I made it home just around 2 a.m. this morning. I'm wiped out.I'm tired. I do have a wonderful video just under 11 minutes long when I was in Lexington, SC yesterday for the eclipse. It was spectacular, the most awesome spectacle I have ever witnessed. The solar eclipse was splendid and it was awesome. I am already planning to go see the 2024 solar eclipse, probably in Texas. I strongly recommend anyone who's never seen a total solar eclipse to make plans to see and witness nature's most awesome spectacle. That's the only thing I can say. It was just unbelievable. I plan to post the image today I'm in the process now arranging it. I'm going to rest up a bit today and hopefully post the video later this afternoon and I will share it with you all. I have also seen some very nice images from some of you already on here this morning. Beautiful images o for the eclipse from yesterday.

Have a great day everyone!!
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#215 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbWYHem ... e=youtu.be

I made a very late decision at the last moment at the very end of the video to show the corona during the end of the totality phase. I was worried about damaging my I-Phone. I was so excited about the moment in that I nearly forgot to film the corona. Fortunately, I realized this just in the nick of time :D
Also, at the last moment at the very end of my video, you will see the "diamond ring" effect of the moon's shadow just beginning its exit from the sun's disc.

It was incredible folks!! The most awesome spectacle you will ever experience for a lifetime!! I met up with a few of my family members from North Carolina on the trip to view the total eclipse in Lexington, SC yesterday, who helped me share in this awesome moment. I sort of got carried away narrating my video lol... but I would do again without hesitation!
Last edited by northjaxpro on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#216 Postby WeatherGuesser » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:18 pm

"The most awesome spectacle you will ever experience for a lifetime!! "

I experienced 100% from my backyard, no traffic at all and I would not say that. Saw the black disc and all. It was almost sort of a letdown. Kinda funky with the yard lights going on and all, but really none of the weirdness that was in some of the hype. Birds and animals all behaved normally.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#217 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:27 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:"The most awesome spectacle you will ever experience for a lifetime!! "

I experienced 100% from my backyard, no traffic at all and I would not say that. Saw the black disc and all. It was almost sort of a letdown. Kinda funky with the yard lights going on and all, but really none of the weirdness that was in some of the hype. Birds and animals all behaved normally.

Well, Weather Guesser, to each their own , as the old saying goes. I am just sharing my perspective to what I saw yesterday. All due respect to you on what you took from the experience, However, I was experiencing a total eclipse for the first time ever and I was totally in awe. No, it was not completely dark, but it was a dark enough, a twilight very sufficient to see the stars and also the magnificent glow of the corona. You can see the effects of car headlights and and store lights on in the Walmart parking lot area. I was located in the background. I hope everyone on the video saw sufficiently the light changes during the video as the eclipse was occuring.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#218 Postby tolakram » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:"The most awesome spectacle you will ever experience for a lifetime!! "

I experienced it in TN and I would say one of the most spectacular experiences in my life, behind my kids being born. Under clear skies without a lot of cloud reflection it got dark. That experience plus the view of the corona was just awesome. You'll have to watch 2024 as well and report back. :D
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#219 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 pm

tolakram wrote:

I experienced it in TN and I would say one of the most spectacular experiences in my life, behind my kids being born. Under clear skies without a lot of cloud reflection it got dark. That experience plus the view of the corona was just awesome. You'll have to watch 2024 as well and report back. :D

Thanks tolaram! I hope you enjoyed the video I made of the event yesterday. Yes, I am planning to see the 2024 eclipse for sure!
1 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#220 Postby WeatherGuesser » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:58 pm

I guess after you've seen things like the first moon landing and the opening of the first interstate highways, the first color TVs, etc., well ....
0 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”