Total Solar Eclipse April 8 2024 (Totallity from Texas to Maine) Warning from FAA= Flight delays, overcrowded airports

Discuss Astronomy, Geology and other related subjects like Earthquakes, Volcanos, Tsunami's and other Natural events around the world.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Total Solar Eclipse April 8 2024 (Totallity from Texas to Maine) Warning from FAA= Flight delays, overcrowded airports

#1 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:54 pm

Yes,I am doing this thread well ahead a few years before the eclipse happens as I know many will want to travel to the totallity path knowing where it will be to make the plans for a trip with plenty of time. The city of Dallas,Texas will be the largest city in the totallity path. Times of eclipse from the start to when it ends below at code. Depending on the time zone,is Central Daylight time or Eastern Daylight Time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code: Select all

First location to see the partial eclipse begin   Apr 8 at 11:42:10 am
First location to see the full eclipse begin      Apr 8 at 12:38:47 pm
Maximum Eclipse   Apr 8 at 2:17:16 pm
Last location to see the full eclipse end   Apr 8 at 3:55:32 pm
Last location to see the partial eclipse end   Apr 8 at 4:52:14 pm

Hyperlink to Countdown Ticker of start of Total Solar Eclipse 2024

The different times to see it in all the areas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the United States, totality will be visible through the states of Texas (including parts of San Antonio, Austin, and Fort Worth and all of Arlington, Dallas, Killeen, Temple, Texarkana, Tyler and Waco), Oklahoma, Arkansas (including Hot Springs, Jonesboro, and Little Rock), Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana (including Bloomington, Evansville, Indianapolis, Muncie, Terre Haute, and Vincennes), a very small area of Michigan, Ohio (including Akron, Dayton, Lima, Roundhead, Toledo, Cleveland, Warren, Newton Falls and Austintown), Pennsylvania (including Erie), Upstate New York (including Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, the Adirondacks, Potsdam, and Plattsburgh), and northern Vermont (including Burlington), New Hampshire, and Maine,[4][5] with the line of totality going almost directly over the state's highest point Mount Katahdin.[citation needed] The largest city entirely in the path will be Dallas, Texas.

Closeup of path thru Texas.

Closeup path thru the central states.

Path thru the central,northern states.

Path thru the Ohio/Lake Erie area that includes Cleveland.

Path thru NE states.

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Total Solar Eclipse April 8 2024 (Totallity path from Texas to Maine)

#2 Postby wxman57 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:08 pm

As a warm-up, there's an annular eclipse that cuts through the southwest U.S. and Texas on October 14, 2023. An annular eclipse occurs when the moon isn't quite large enough to completely cover the sun's disk, leaving a narrow ring of sun around the perimeter of the moon. In this case, 89.73% of the sun will be covered by the moon. I might drive to San Antonio to see this one. I saw the May 30, 1984 annular eclipse in south Louisiana when about 99.8% of the moon was covered. I couldn't make out a thin ring of sun around the edge of the moon.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/ ... oogle.html

3 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks wxman57 for reminding us about the annular eclipse in 2023.

Also, thanks cycloneye for posting this info on the total solar eclipse in 2024. I definitely am planning a trip to Texas to see this event. It is never too early to plan for this type of event.

It is completely worth the time and money invested to travel to witness a tremendous spectacle of a lifetime. The total eclipse last summer which I traveled to see in Columbia, SC was absolutely a thrill for yours truly!!

Also, this particular total solar eclipse will be about twice in length of time duration of totality than the eclipse last summer in 2017. This total solar eclipse will last 4 minutes and 28 seconds in the center of the path.

2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:54 pm

northjaxpro wrote:Thanks wxman57 for reminding us about the annular eclipse in 2023.

Also, thanks cycloneye for posting this info on the total solar eclipse in 2024. I definitely am planning a trip to Texas to see this event. It is never too early to plan for this type of event.

It is completely worth the time and money invested to travel to witness a tremendous spectacle of a lifetime. The total eclipse last summer which I traveled to see in Columbia, SC was absolutely a thrill for yours truly!!

Also, this particular total solar eclipse will be about twice in length of time duration of totality than the eclipse last summer in 2017. This total solar eclipse will last 4 minutes and 28 seconds in the center of the path.

That is why I decided to make this thread so early with plenty of time for those like you who are going to make the trip to the totallity path zone. Many details of the trip have to be done well in advance.
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#5 Postby cycloneye » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Added to the first post the countdown ticker to the day and hour the Total Eclipse starts so it will be exciting to see how the days pass as it gets closer and closer to the big event.
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#6 Postby Alyono » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:17 pm

San Antonio is the jackpot winner

2 eclipses in less than 6 months

As for 2023, I'd drive to Corpus instead of San Antonio
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#7 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:58 pm

Interesting trivia about states that wont see a total eclipse on the rest of this century.

https://twitter.com/NationalEclipse/status/1092904286206509056

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#8 Postby cycloneye » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:02 pm

Good link to look at for those eclipse geeks that want to know about the next events after the April 8 2024 one.

https://nationaleclipse.com/trivia.html
1 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#9 Postby Astromanía » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:32 pm

Awesome!, I hope I can travel to Torreon, México, I really want to see this for my first moment in my life, I live in Monterrey relatively close to the totally path where the moon will be cover about 95% of the sun but that is not sufficient! hahaha, I have relatives living in Torreón so this will be a big thing, its nice that someone created this thread :D
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#10 Postby cycloneye » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:05 pm

Astromanía wrote:Awesome!, I hope I can travel to Torreon, México, I really want to see this for my first moment in my life, I live in Monterrey relatively close to the totally path where the moon will be cover about 95% of the sun but that is not sufficient! hahaha, I have relatives living in Torreón so this will be a big thing, its nice that someone created this thread :D

Thanks for those kind words about making this thread way ahead (1886 days left as of Febuary 7 2019) from the eclipse happening.Looking forward to your reports from the area that you will be.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#11 Postby cycloneye » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:00 pm

This is very interesting as you can look for your birthday date if it coincides with a Total Eclipse. Anyone celebrates their birthday on April 8? As of March 2 2019,there are 1,863 days left for the total eclipse.

My birthday date is August 11.
Last Total Eclipse in that date was in 1999
Next Total Eclipse on that date is in 2371

https://nationaleclipse.com/dates.html

https://twitter.com/NationalEclipse/status/1101979401447706624

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:14 am

Only Five Years Away - 1827 days left

We are getting closer to this eclipse as time goes by fast :D

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#13 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:42 am

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#14 Postby cycloneye » Tue May 21, 2019 4:37 pm

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#15 Postby cycloneye » Thu May 23, 2019 9:14 am

2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#16 Postby cycloneye » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:58 pm

1 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#17 Postby Astromanía » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:03 pm

The interesting thing about this eclipse is that the totality path will cross over the three countries in North America, Mexico, US and Canada, the only one this whole 21st century, I remember read about this eclipse for the first time when I was only 9-10 years old at school and since then I have been impatient to see this :D
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#18 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Only 4 years left to witness this amazing total eclipse so begin to do the planning to see it.

https://twitter.com/ROCSolarEclipse/status/1212237262559285248

0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:10 pm

I am prepping now to go to Texas in April 2024. It is NEVER, EVER too early to plan!! Take this advice from me! I traveled to Lexington, SC, just west of downtown Columbia, to be in the direct totality path of the eclipse in 2017. It was a nightmare booking places to find and stay anywhere near the path of totality. I went all over the place, and I eventually got extremely lucky to get a motel room cancellation in Augusta, GA and book that room, about 1 hour west of Columbia on I-20, the night before the event. I was able to beat the traffic rush traveling into the Columbia, SC area early the next morning of the total eclipse.

It is so awesome and mind-blowing witnessing in person a total solar eclipse for the first time ever, like I did in August 2017, or any time for that matter. It is the single most memorable event/ spectacle moment of a lifetime well worth your time and money to travel to see it. Well, it certainly was for yours truly!!
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#20 Postby wxman57 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:45 am

Fortunately, I live only about a 3-hr drive from totality, so I won't need to stay in a hotel. The first eclipse is the year before on Oct. 14th. It's annular, meaning the moon won't quite be large enough to completely cover the sun.
1 likes   

Return to “Astronomy and Geology”