Myanmar / TC NARGIS (TC 01B) Update: 84,500 dead

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Myanmar / TC NARGIS (TC 01B) Update: 78,000 dead

#661 Postby HurricaneBill » Mon May 19, 2008 10:13 pm

Sanibel wrote:I bet the people who have been starving without food and water are grateful to their leaders for allowing aid over two weeks later.

From what I've heard, many are angry with the junta. But they also know what happens to those who criticize the junta.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#662 Postby Sanibel » Mon May 19, 2008 11:35 pm

Ghosts of the dead play a prominent role in their religious beliefs in that part of the world.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#663 Postby Sanibel » Fri May 23, 2008 10:23 am

Times says 30,000 children are under threat of starvation if Myanmar doesn't get aid to them. They said the government is making an effort to look like it is providing help more than it is actually providing any help to the victims. 6.3 million live in the Delta region where Nargis hit. Myanmar dissidents say the government isn't too sorry for them because Delta region inhabitants tend to be against the junta. The worst coastal regions are hardest to reach and are still not receiving the aid they need. Homeless in the worst areas have to endure burning sun and cold rains without shelter. Water purification is reaching the refugee camps from Myanmar companies donating equipment. Village water ponds are having purification chemicals thrown in them in remote areas.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#664 Postby RL3AO » Fri May 23, 2008 10:38 am

About ****ing time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7416143.stm

Burma 'to let in all aid workers'

Burma's top leader has agreed to let all foreign aid workers into the country for relief work in cyclone-hit areas, UN head Ban Ki-moon has said.
0 likes   

P.K.
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#665 Postby P.K. » Sun May 25, 2008 5:28 am

Myanmar cyclone: Burma junta tells survivors to go home

By Bruce Hill in Rangoon and Colin Freeman
Last Updated: 1:25AM BST 25/05/2008
The Burmese government stood accused of fresh acts of callousness over Cyclone Nargis yesterday after claims that officials had ordered survivors to tear down temporary shelters built along roads through the disaster zone.

In the absence of proper help from their own government, tens of thousands of people rendered homeless by the storm have erected makeshift roadside huts along the raised concrete roads that run through the Irrawaddy delta. Their location means they are less at risk from further flooding, and puts them on hand for donations from any passing aid convoy.

Continues here

----

Myanmar cyclone: Burma junta to demand aid

By Bruce Hill in Rangoon, Colin Freeman and Tom Chivers
Last Updated: 9:52AM BST 25/05/2008
Burma’s military government is expected to ask for $11bn (£5.5bn) in aid from the international community to help with the recovery from Cyclone Nargis.

However, several countries are unwilling to provide help to the country in the absence of firmer assurances that aid will actually reach those in need.

Delegates from as many as forty-four countries are meeting in Rangoon to pledge money in the wake of the cyclone, which has killed 78,000 people in the stricken country.

Continues here
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#666 Postby Frank2 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:44 am

Hard to comprehend in some ways, but, those of us who were a part of the Hurricane Andrew disaster can relate to this - Andrew made landfall early Monday morning, and, by Wednesday or Thursday the "refugee" situation had become unmanageable, due to the lack of preparation on the part of many - initially, a quarter-million residents were homeless...

We arrived in the disaster zone about 24 hours later, and, it was shocking to see entire families walking on the side of the road, because they had lost everything - this in a upper-middle class area of suburban Miami...

Thankfully, God had me on the sidelines because I was able to return to my sister's house later that day, 60 miles to the north, but, my sister's sister-in-law, who lived about 2 miles from my house in the disaster zone, returned to their neighborhood about 2 days later, and, were almost mobbed because they came with a supply of bagged ice and bottled water...

The next day, I heard a live report that some were on line for water for so long, that several had fainted due to the heat, and a lack of water and food over 3 or 4 days...

In the end, 32,000 troops were sent to the area south of Miami to restore order, but, the first week was terrible, at best - the nights were especially dangerous, for many reasons...

So, again, while hard to comprehened in some ways, in other ways, the current crisis is sadly "easy" to understand...

Truly, as some in the media have said, it's a situation that you have to witness first-hand, in order to understand completely - due to Andrew, I have and do...
Last edited by Frank2 on Sun May 25, 2008 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#667 Postby Chacor » Sun May 25, 2008 10:49 am

3 or 4 days? Try 3 weeks.
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#668 Postby Frank2 » Sun May 25, 2008 10:52 am

Correct - the current situation is 3 or 4 weeks, but, in the case of Andrew, the first 3 or 4 days after August 24 were absolutely terrible, however, the nighttime curfew lasted until sometime before Thanksgiving, so, it was a long and difficult process...

Again, sadly I can relate to the current situation, and, is why I feel strongly about the many here who are eager to see a major hurricane...
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#669 Postby HurricaneBill » Thu May 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Just when you thought the junta couldn't get any more appalling.....

Myanmar junta blasts international donors
0 likes   

Ad Novoxium
Category 1
Category 1

#670 Postby Ad Novoxium » Fri May 30, 2008 3:12 pm

HurricaneBill wrote:Just when you thought the junta couldn't get any more appalling.....

Myanmar junta blasts international donors

The newspaper commentary also slammed an unnamed monetary institution, saying its refusal to help cyclone survivors was "an act of inhumanity."

Hmmm...you know, I seem to have this feeling that this idea is vaguely familiar...
0 likes   

feederband
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#671 Postby feederband » Fri May 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Im done with them...Save the money and supply's for country's that want it...
0 likes   

Ad Novoxium
Category 1
Category 1

#672 Postby Ad Novoxium » Fri May 30, 2008 5:01 pm

feederband wrote:Im done with them...Save the money and supply's for country's that want it...

I still like the idea of an airdrop compared to that. It's not Myanmar that wants the aid, it's Burma. Why should one corrupt government or regime, who wants to basically leave its people to die, make the opinions of the people they're letting die? As far as I'm concerned, the people would love that aid, but the junta itself seems more concerned with painting a rosy color picture of themselves. It's narcissism like that that irritates me. Of course I'm naive, but how insensitive can one group get?
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#673 Postby Sanibel » Fri May 30, 2008 9:34 pm

I hope some agency looks into concrete hurricane shelters like in Bangldesh for those coastal Myanmar people.
0 likes   

Frank2
Category 5
Category 5

#674 Postby Frank2 » Sat May 31, 2008 9:13 am

Feederband,

You might be "done with them" when it comes to their government, but, their citizens still need the help - I'm for the "never give up" way of thinking...
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#675 Postby Sanibel » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:59 am

NY Times now including missing as dead and calling death toll "At least 138,000 dead".
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#676 Postby HurricaneBill » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:55 pm

0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#677 Postby Chacor » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:59 pm

Considering the INVEST wasn't declared until April 24... that's a bit stupid. Someone should shove satellite images from the 24th in the junta's faces.
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#678 Postby Chacor » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:13 pm

Ministers say military a crucial element that can help in humanitarian crises

SINGAPORE: The military is a crucial element that can rally help effectively in humanitarian crises such as the aftermath of Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar, according to both the Singapore and Malaysian defence ministers who were speaking at the final day of the Shangri-La Dialogue on Sunday.

Myanmar's Deputy Defence Minister Major General Aye Myint told the gathering of top defence officials that his country had broadcast to the people a warning about the cyclone more than a week before it struck.

He also said the military government is ready to accept aid as long as there are no strings attached.

He said: "We are trying our best for relief, resettlement and rehabilitation because they are our people. But you have to understand that every process will not be totally perfect.

"And as I've explained earlier, we are welcoming assistance and aid from any country or organisation from around the world without any politicisation and without any pre-conditions."

His statements evoked a sharp response from some clearly frustrated members of donor nations.

A French parliamentarian even said that he would press his government to propose a UN resolution that could hold the Myanmar government liable to be brought before the International Criminal Court.

French Parliamentarian Pierre Lellouche said: "We need a system of sanctions to stop this scandal of having hundreds of thousands of people dying with help waiting outside and having a lecture about non-interference in domestic affairs.

"I'm sorry, maybe, to change the tone of this very polite international gathering, but I think it is my duty to do so."

Ministers from ASEAN focused on possible solutions. Malaysia's Defence Minister Najib Razak called for a greater role for ASEAN and the military, although he recognised that there are diverging views on military involvement.

He said: "The only viable organisation that can really act effectively is the military. I think I speak on behalf of my other colleagues that we certainly would like to see ASEAN being allowed to play a much bigger role because the situation is very, very serious in Myanmar."

Mr Najib even likened it to the scale of the 2004 Aceh tsunami, according to some ground reports coming out of there.

Defence Minister, Teo Chee Hean, said: "Armed forces too have a crucial role to play in humanitarian assistance and disaster relief. Armed forces can transport aid to where it is needed most in the affected locality and help in its distribution.

"It is not the value or quantity of the relief supplies. The question is whether they can be delivered in a prompt and effective manner to the last mile, down to the actual victims who need it, when they need it."

At a separate news conference, US Secretary of Defence Robert Gates said that his country was within days of making a decision on whether or not to move out the aid ships that had been anchored off the coast of Myanmar for some time.

He said the only alternative was to force aid on Myanmar and that was something all the defence ministers had unanimously agreed was not an option.

Besides the clear respect for sovereignty, discussion also centred on the issue of responsibility after three aid principles were outlined on Saturday.

Mr Teo said: "John asked whether what the ministers discussed yesterday results in a new responsibility, that is, the "responsibility to invite". I would say that it is really a ‘responsibility to provide’ - a responsibility of all national governments to provide for the welfare of the people.

"If they are not able to provide for it, then it is their responsibility to see what other resources they can garner to help provide for their people."

The three-day Asia Security Summit, also known as The Shangri-La Dialogue, ended on Sunday. - CNA/vm

Impassive amid a raging storm
HE APPEARED at the Shangri-La Hotel yesterday to give an update on Myanmar’s recovery efforts in the aftermath of Cyclone Nargis, which tore through the impoverished nation last month.

Instead, Myanmar’s Deputy Defence Minister, Major-General Aye Myint, drew sharp criticism over the regime’s slow response to the disaster.

The polite tone of the forum was shattered as the regime’s efforts in restricting international aid drew the ire of donor countries, including the United States, France and even some members of the Association of South-east Asian Nations (Asean), of which Myanmar is a member.

French Member of Parliament Pierre Lellouche was particularly acerbic.

Making no secret of his displeasure with the notoriously-reclusive Myanmar government, Mr Lellouche said: “We need a system of sanctions to stop this scandal of having hundreds of thousands of people dying with help waiting outside and having a lecture about non-interference in domestic affairs.”

Earlier, Maj-Gen Aye Myint had told the audience at the 7th International Institute for Strategic Studies Asia Security Summit — an annual conference of defence ministers, military officials and security experts from Asia, North America and Europe — that his country would “warmly welcome any assistance and aid which are provided with genuine goodwill from any country or organisation”.

However, this assistance must come with “no strings attached”. Since the cyclone hit Myanmar on May 2, relief workers have been unable to get to the worst-hit areas due to visa hurdles and other red tape imposed by the junta — a move that has hogged media headlines the world over.

Mr Lellouche said a French ship carrying 1,000 tonnes of aid supplies was dispatched to Myanmar immediately after Nargis struck but the ship was refused entry. After 10 days, the vessel turned to Thailand to unload its cargo.

Myanmar’s state-owned media have also ridiculed aid workers’ demand for access into the devastated Irrawaddy Delta, adding that cyclone victims could “stand by themselves” and did not need “chocolate bars” from foreign countries.

While the junta have given in to international pressure by allowing aid workers into the country, United Nations estimates that only around 40 per cent of an estimated 2.4 million displaced by the disaster have received foreign help in the form of fresh water, food and medical supplies.

Maj Gen Aye Myint said the latest toll stands at 77,738 dead and 55,917 missing, as well as an estimated US$10.67 billion in damages.

US Defence Secretary Robert Gates said that more people will perish from the disaster if the junta continues on its route of “criminal neglect”.

Mr Lellouche took a tougher line -- he would see to it his government proposes a UN resolution to bring the junta before the International Criminal Court.

“The principle of non-interference in domestic affairs is not right of regimes to have their populations killed in silence with nobody else to interfere,” he said.

Malaysia’s Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak also came under Mr Lellouche’s barrage after he said countries should respect the sovereignty of the Myanmar and should not unilaterally go into Myanmar to force the junta to take action.

Still, Mr Najib proposed that the military of each Asean nation be involved in rescue efforts, as they would be able to deploy a large number of helicopter and boats.

His plea to the Myanmar leadership to open up to foreign help comes close on the heels of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong remarks on Friday that the situation in the cylcone-hit country is “regrettable” as more rapid international relief aid could have minimised the suffering of the victims.

said Mr Najib: “We would like to see Asean being allowed to play a much bigger role because the situation is very, very serious in Myanmar,” he said of the disaster he believes to be much more dire than the 2004 Asian tsunami that killed at least 232,000 people.

Throughout the fiery discourse, Maj Gen Aye Myint remained impassive. His government is “trying our best for relief and resettlement efforts, because the victims are our people” -- even if the process is “not totally perfect”.
0 likes   

Ad Novoxium
Category 1
Category 1

#679 Postby Ad Novoxium » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:55 pm

Okay, the junta has sunk from "lowbrow" to "asinine"...and in turn from "asinine" to "sticking your head in lava is more enjoyable than listening to us brown nose each other".
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#680 Postby HurricaneBill » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:14 am

Chacor wrote:Throughout the fiery discourse, Maj Gen Aye Myint remained impassive.

The junta isn't human. They can't be. Because any human being with a single shred of compassion would be helping these victims right now. Yes, I know the junta said they are helping, but action (or in this case, inaction) speaks much louder than words.

If the junta had been warning about the cyclone a week in advance, why was there such a high death toll?

This whole situation makes me absolutely sick.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”