ATL: Tropical Depression Dolly

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Cyclone1
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#8381 Postby Cyclone1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:27 am

Chacor wrote:http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/dolly_imagery.shtml

NOAA's Environmental Visualization Program is offering high resolution satellite imagery of Hurricane Dolly. Below is a high-defintion animation is available to download (right click and save link to your computer.)

You may need to download the free Quicktime player to view the file.

High resolution Hurricane Dolly animation (3MB – .mp4 format)

Someone should put this on YouTube. Who knows how long it'll remain online, ya know?
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#8382 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:02 pm

I know some here post on Wikipedia... so I am going to take those of you who do to task regarding the Dolly article

1. Dolly is not the most destructive Texas hurricane since Alica. THERE WAS A SMALL STORM THAT GOES BY THE NAME OF RITA IN 2005

2. Dolly's landfall as a category 2. The working BT has category 1 at 80KT. This is not category 2

3. At 1:00 pm CDT (1800 UTC) that same day, Dolly made landfall on South Padre Island, Texas, as a Category 2 hurricane check the working BT that Chacor posted. 80KT again is cat 1

4. The Yucatan is not a part of Guatemala. Why is the Yucatan damage under the Guatemala section?

5. The damage figures are estimated. My opinion is they will come down a lot, as happened with Ophelia and Humberto

In all, the wiki article on Dolly was one of the poorer ones I have read. Usually, those who manage wiki and write there have TC articles of a much higher quality
Last edited by Derek Ortt on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re: ATL: Tropical Depression Dolly

#8383 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:10 pm

JB's rant today said official wind for Dolly, at 964 mb, was the lowest wind for that pressure ever in Gulf of Mexico, and no matter what anyone says, he is convinced that it made landfall between 100 and 105 mph, and somehow nobody measured the peak wind.

I don't know if he is correct or not.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#8384 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:11 pm

he has his agenda... and science is not it

and he is also dead flat wrong as usual. Hurricane Lili made landfall with a pressure of 964mb and a peak wind of 80KT. The GOM tends to have a different pressure to wind ratio than the rest of the basin for some reason
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#8385 Postby RL3AO » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:17 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:I know some here post on Wikipedia... so I am going to take those of you who do to task regarding the Dolly article

1. Dolly is not the most destructive Texas hurricane since Alica. THERE WAS A SMALL STORM THAT GOES BY THE NAME OF RITA IN 2005

2. Dolly's landfall as a category 2. The working BT has category 1 at 80KT. This is not category 2

3. At 1:00 pm CDT (1800 UTC) that same day, Dolly made landfall on South Padre Island, Texas, as a Category 2 hurricane check the working BT that Chacor posted. 80KT again is cat 1

4. The Yucatan is not a part of Guatemala. Why is the Yucatan damage under the Guatemala section?

5. The damage figures are estimated. My opinion is they will come down a lot, as happened with Ophelia and Humberto

In all, the wiki article on Dolly was one of the poorer ones I have read. Usually, those who manage wiki and write there have TC articles of a much higher quality

So put that on the talk page of the article. You don't need an account. Just copy and paste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Hurricane_Dolly_%282008%29&action=edit&section=new

As for the crapiness, it was on the main page so a lot of non-hurricane followers have been editing it. When its just a minor system, only a handfull of people edit it an its more accurate.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

Re:

#8386 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:22 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:he has his agenda... and science is not it

and he is also dead flat wrong as usual. Hurricane Lili made landfall with a pressure of 964mb and a peak wind of 80KT. The GOM tends to have a different pressure to wind ratio than the rest of the basin for some reason

He explained that as well. Weakening storms, per JB, have less turbulent mixing that bring down lower winds, strengthening storms have more turbulent mixing.

He didn't name Lili by name, but qualified it as 'lowest wind ever in a strenghthening storm' at 964.

It looked steady state before landfall, maybe even weakened a tad.

There was, IIRC, an unofficial 115 mph gust in Matamoros recorded by a chaser, but that was a gust and unofficial.

Don't blame me, I don't have edit priviledges for Wiki and don't really trust them as a source.

I was going to say Allison was only a minimal storm, but that I suspected since flooding was in densely populated area, Allison might have been bigger $ storm in Texas, but the Rita evacuation and the 2 day virtual shutdown of the Houston area pre-Rita may have pushed dollar losses higher.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#8387 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:55 pm

there were billions in actual property damage in NE Texas
0 likes   

AySz88
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: ATL: Tropical Depression Dolly

#8388 Postby AySz88 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Looks like Titoxd got everything already. But if you see something that you can quickly fix, or something not sourced which seems wrong, feel free to just edit or delete it, respectively. Anyone can edit the article; just click the "edit" button at the top of the page or section.

(It doesn't look like we can use the working best track, though, since it doesn't have data for maxima/minima/landfall. The advisories and discussions will have to do until the TCR will lets us know for sure. But the discussions do say landfall at borderline 1-2, so I think I'm going to change the text to that for now.)
0 likes   

Squarethecircle
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#8389 Postby Squarethecircle » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Ed Mahmoud wrote:Don't blame me, I don't have edit priviledges for Wiki and don't really trust them as a source.

Technically, if you have a computer (and I presume that this is the case), you can edit Wikipedia.

Their main problem is lack of a very good staff, and the fact that they'll often revert correct edits because they were made either by an unknown or because the bit they edited was made by a trusted editor. If you use it right (with edit histories and Google searches), Wiki is helpful, but it's also frustrating and inconvenient to use (though it's very hard to come up with good competition for something so mind-bendingly enormous).

That being said, the Dolly problems are understandable, but they're pretty unacceptable. Even for such a recent article.
0 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#8390 Postby HurricaneBelle » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:33 pm

Lili was in a rapid weakening phase at the time of landfall, though.

Does the GOM really have a different pressure/wind ratio? For example, at the other pressure/wind extreme in the GOM, I remember Danny 1985 becoming a hurricane at 997mb.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8391 Postby brunota2003 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:51 pm

It also depends on the background pressure.
0 likes   

Air Force Met
Military Met
Military Met

Re:

#8392 Postby Air Force Met » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Let's be honest here...we all have our agenda's. The NHC has their agenda and when you listen to a conference call...depending on the MIC...you can tell. JB has his agenda as well...and I would disagree that it is not science. Matter of fact...there have been things I have heard from the NHC that could lead some to say the same about them over the last few years.

As far as Lili...true...but his point still stands...winds at the sfc are different in rapidly weakening as opposed to rapidly deepening hurricanes.
0 likes   

Air Force Met
Military Met
Military Met

Re:

#8393 Postby Air Force Met » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:00 pm

brunota2003 wrote:It also depends on the background pressure.

Exactly. At one point, Lili's closed isobars encompassed the entire GoM. Dolly was set within relatively normal background pressures...perhaps a little higher than normal on her east side.
0 likes   

Derek Ortt

#8394 Postby Derek Ortt » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:17 pm

I think Danny in 1997 had a pressure of 989 mb when it became a hurricane. It was a storm when it had 997mb

Danny was also quite tiny

as for the landfall... after looking at the data, I have to go with an 80KT 1 right now (even though it does not feel right... I wish we had 2 or 3 planes in the storm)
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#8395 Postby RL3AO » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Bye Dolly. See you in 2014.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#8396 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:20 pm

RL3AO wrote:Bye Dolly. See you in 2014.

I'll be generous here Dolly - don't let the :Door: slam on you! (I don't think she did quite enough to warrant the trash bin)
0 likes   

Ad Novoxium
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#8397 Postby Ad Novoxium » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Derek Ortt wrote:I know some here post on Wikipedia... so I am going to take those of you who do to task regarding the Dolly article

It's like that when you have cyclones hitting the news quickly. I'm on Wikipedia not for making or doing articles on newer hurricanes, but stick to older ones, with exceptions coming every now and then. Ergo, I rarely focus on current events, because you're almost never to the edit button in time. Plus, there's rapidfire editting.
0 likes   

Chacor
Category 5
Category 5

#8398 Postby Chacor » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:07 pm

The results from the Dolly prediction challenge are now up.

Also, the leaderboard has been updated.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#8399 Postby JonathanBelles » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:13 pm

NWS Brownsville has issued a report on Dolly.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/bro/wxevents/20 ... eport1.htm
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#8400 Postby Ptarmigan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:16 pm

If you adjust with inflation, The Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900 is the most destructive.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”