Tropical Storm Fay Model Runs

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DESTRUCTION5
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#3001 Postby DESTRUCTION5 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:28 pm

x-y-no wrote:Heh ... I may live to regret my words ...

On Sunday afternoon, I wrote:

x-y-no wrote:That Euro run is nothing short of bizarre. It has Fay over western Cuba at 24 hours, approaching Naples at 48, emerging near Ft. Pierce day 3, Sitting still just offshore days 4 and 5 while intensifying, then taking off across the northern peninsula day 6, finally making a third landfall near Apalachicola day 7.

I'll eat my shorts if that happens. :D

Anyone got a good recipe for boxer shorts? :lol:

Bump for WXMAN57
0 likes   

latemodel25
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: Tropical Storm Fay Model Runs

#3002 Postby latemodel25 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:32 pm

HurricaneBelle wrote:
ronjon wrote:18Z HWRF and GFS have Fay pretty much near Cedar Key by 2 PM tomorrow. Yes, I saw our local weatherman Dennis Phillips show his "titan" model running Fay SW though Tampa Bay and into the GOM. Titan and Vipir - anyone know what code or platform these models are run off?

Sounds like they ran those models in "Wishcast Mode".
why would they do that? do you think they get paid by the hour? or maybe they get a big bonus for tropical systems :roll: give me a break!
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3003 Postby tolakram » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 pm

edit: woops. wrong thread.
Last edited by tolakram on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

DESTRUCTION5
Category 5
Category 5

#3004 Postby DESTRUCTION5 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:46 pm

no one mentioned the HWRF dives her SW into the gulf in the 18Z? humm..
0 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3005 Postby canetracker » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:58 pm

Most of the models have shifted south:
http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/
0 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3006 Postby HurricaneBelle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:10 pm

latemodel25 wrote:
HurricaneBelle wrote:
ronjon wrote:18Z HWRF and GFS have Fay pretty much near Cedar Key by 2 PM tomorrow. Yes, I saw our local weatherman Dennis Phillips show his "titan" model running Fay SW though Tampa Bay and into the GOM. Titan and Vipir - anyone know what code or platform these models are run off?

why would they do that? do you think they get paid by the hour? or maybe they get a big bonus for tropical systems :roll: give me a break!

Eh? I was just noting the irony that the only models taking the storm through Tampa Bay are the ones used by the Tampa Bay-area OCMs, kind of like how some folks around here will sometimes latch on to any model run (or potential synoptic setup) that will take a storm their way.

Plus, if he got a big bonus for tropical systems, Phillips would just spend it on suspenders anyway.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3007 Postby LSU2001 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Sounds like they ran those models in "Wishcast Mode".[/quote] why would they do that? do you think they get paid by the hour? or maybe they get a big bonus for tropical systems :roll: give me a break![/quote]

Eh? I was just noting the irony that the only models taking the storm through Tampa Bay are the ones used by the Tampa Bay-area OCMs, kind of like how some folks around here will sometimes latch on to any model run (or potential synoptic setup) that will take a storm their way.

Plus, if he got a big bonus for tropical systems, Phillips would just spend it on suspenders anyway.[/quote]

Yeah, it was NOLA met Bob Breck's Vipir model that had Katrina taking a big northwest turn and hitting the panhandle of fla. hours before Katrina actually hitting. Mr. Breck lost a lot of credibility with that call.
I don't pay alot of attention to the "local models" I stick with the NHC even when I disagree they have historically been by far the best.
JMHO,
tim
0 likes   

Rainband

#3008 Postby Rainband » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:31 pm

HurricaneBelle wrote:Eh? I was just noting the irony that the only models taking the storm through Tampa Bay are the ones used by the Tampa Bay-area OCMs, kind of like how some folks around here will sometimes latch on to any model run (or potential synoptic setup) that will take a storm their way.

Plus, if he got a big bonus for tropical systems, Phillips would just spend it on suspenders anyway.
Um Chill on the swipes on Dennis. Dennis Phillips is one of the Least Hype forecasters in our Area. He tells it like it is. That's a fact.
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#3009 Postby JonathanBelles » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:33 pm

Rainband wrote:
HurricaneBelle wrote:Eh? I was just noting the irony that the only models taking the storm through Tampa Bay are the ones used by the Tampa Bay-area OCMs, kind of like how some folks around here will sometimes latch on to any model run (or potential synoptic setup) that will take a storm their way.

Um Chill on the swipes on Dennis. Dennis Phillips is one of the Least Hype forecasters in our Area. He tells it like it is. That's a fact.

I have to second that. If a hurricane is coming through and he is on, I am watching him and nobody else. (If he is not on I am watching BayNews9).
0 likes   

dixiebreeze
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3010 Postby dixiebreeze » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:38 pm

latemodel25 wrote:
HurricaneBelle wrote:

Cedar Key is a storm magnet. Actually, Fay is about a two hour drive from my home from the gulf coast to the Atlantic coast. I'm 20 miles from Cedar Key by boat.
0 likes   

tpr1967
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3011 Postby tpr1967 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:29 pm

Figuired i'd post this here since it might not get buried. Was looking over upper air soundings,
at 500mb,700mb and 850mb. From 12z to 00z. Found out that pressures have risen to the north of Fay across alabama,georgia and south carolina and have fallen sw and south of Fay
in Tampa and miami. At all three levels of the atmosphere. I would think a more southerly track is possible because of this. Your thoughts. Thanks.
0 likes   

mph101
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3012 Postby mph101 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:43 pm

18Z HWRF and GFS have Fay pretty much near Cedar Key by 2 PM tomorrow. Yes, I saw our local weatherman Dennis Phillips show his "titan" model running Fay SW though Tampa Bay and into the GOM. Titan and Vipir - anyone know what code or platform these models are run off?[/quote][/quote][/quote]

The HWRF model is only used by Tampa TV weather people, is that what I am understanding you saying? Imagine that I learned some thing new here today because I thought the HWRF was a new computer model that will be the operational backbone for hurricane track and intensity forecasts by the National Hurricane Center (NHC).

The following model description can be found in the Product Description Document for the National Centers for Environmental Prediction's Model Analyses & Forecasts[3]:
— The HWRF provides operational guidance for forecasters at the National Hurricane Center in both the Atlantic and East Pacific basins. Hurricane forecasts are produced on demand every six hours at 00, 06, 12, and 18 UTC for up to four tropical storms at a time. The HWRF hurricane model graphics are available at six hour increments up to 126 hours. Often, there are less than 126 hours.
— The model is a nested grid system with an outermost domain and a nested grid with resolutions of 27 and 9 km respectively and 42 vertical levels. The HWRF vortex initialization uses the 6 hour forecast as the first guess, then uses regional GSI 3DAR data assimilation to produce the initial hurricane vortex that matches the intensity and structure parameters provided operationally by NHC. The HWRF is coupled to a high-resolution version of the Princeton Ocean Model for the Atlantic Basin. The ocean initialization system uses observed altimeter observations to provide a more realistic Loop Current and Gulf Stream conditions.

— Information on the model products can be found at the production model web page http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/hur/

..So how mis-informed I was and now I know its a wishcasting device used by channel 13 and 28 in Tampa. Thank you for clearing that up for me.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#3013 Postby ROCK » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:53 pm

to the guy asking about upper air soundings you would be correct. Here is the current steering:

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real- ... 8dlm2.html

high sitting right on top of her.....
0 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3014 Postby HurricaneBelle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:53 pm

mph101 wrote:..So how mis-informed I was and now I know its a wishcasting device used by channel 13 and 28 in Tampa. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

The talk has been about the Titan and Vipir models used by the local Tampa Bay area mets, not the HWRF. You need to go back and re-read the first sentence you quoted.
0 likes   

mf_dolphin
Category 5
Category 5

#3015 Postby mf_dolphin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 pm

The attitudes better improve in this thread. Discuss the subject not take swipes at each other....

Consider this a general warning....
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#3016 Postby ROCK » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:10 pm

mf_dolphin wrote:The attitudes better improve in this thread. Discuss the subject not take swipes at each other....

Consider this a general warning....

thanks.....mf....
0 likes   

rockyman
Category 5
Category 5

#3017 Postby rockyman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:44 pm

GFS running...still over Florida approaching Big Bend in 30 hours

42 hours---east of Apalachicola right on the coast
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#3018 Postby PTPatrick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:54 pm

Does the jump North from almost Zephyrhill(just NE of Tampa) to almost Lake city in the 18-30 hr time fram surpise anybody about this accuracy of this or is this just resolustion issues and the track shakes out to roughly W with an occasional wobble N

Also there seems to be almost positively a WSW compnent to the GFS forecast in the first 18 hours.
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#3019 Postby PTPatrick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Ok...also this is WAY WAY fast...has it almost to MObile by 60 hours, thast Saturday morning unstead of Monday morning!
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#3020 Postby PTPatrick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:57 pm

Offshore Dauphin Island At 72 HOURS
0 likes   

Return to “2008”