Moderator: S2k Moderators

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re: ATL Tropical Depression GUSTAV - Discussion

#10361 Postby CajunMama » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:43 pm

This just makes me sick

Looters shoot at National Guard troops in Ville Platte

BATON ROUGE – National Guardsmen at a supply distribution point in Ville Platte were fired upon and returned fire at thieves who attempted to steal commodities from a distribution point at about midnight last night.

National Guard spokesman Major Michael Kazmerzak said three MPs heard what they believe to be three men trying to either steal a loaded truck or supplies from the back of it. The thieves fired “three to five rounds” that struck the ground near the MPs feet.
0 likes   

markalva
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#10362 Postby markalva » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:06 pm

As a resident of Mandeville La born in New Orleans, I happened to stumble on your group when I was searching for information about sheer and the effects dry air might have on Gus. I have to say that I found it interesting to watch your amateur discussions about the storms. I say that with the utmost respect for your interest in weather, indeed I learned a lot from many of your calm, cautious and logical members. However, some of the posts take on a bent of hopefulness for doom, and it seems that it's only for the sake of bragging rights that come with predicting the diasater. The facts are that the professional mets saw reason to be hopeful that dry air would wrap around and disturb this storms progress. I'm thankful they were right and their view and others that gave me hope that this would not be a repeat of Katrina. How curious that even when we knew they were right, their were still predictions of RI. That's one of the sure signs of stubborn egomania.

Normandy, you should probably find a new hobby.
0 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#10363 Postby bob rulz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:17 pm

CajunMama wrote:
bob rulz wrote:
Cyclone Runner wrote:2 Confirmed dead in Mamou, Louisiana from tornado this morning spawned from Gustav's remnants.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs. ... 1/80903001

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/yesterday.html

I believe that brings the total direct death toll to 101.

Haiti: 76
Jamaica: 11
Dominican Republic: 8
United States: 6

US is higher 14 deaths
1 fatality in Lafayette (falling tree)
2 fatalities in Baton Rouge (falling tree)
2 fatalities in Mamou (tornado)
3 fatalities Jefferson Parish (evacuation)
3 fatalities Calcasieu Parish (evacuation)
1 fatality Lafourche Parish (natural causes)
1 fatality Rapides Parish (electrocution)
1 fatality Grant Parish (falling tree)

http://tinyurl.com/6qwq22
http://tinyurl.com/5kzkla

Electrocution, natural cause, and evacuation deaths are indirect, though. Four falling tree deaths and 2 tornado deaths equal 6. However, that list seems to be missing the car accident death. Is that still counted?
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#10364 Postby fasterdisaster » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:43 pm

markalva wrote:As a resident of Mandeville La born in New Orleans, I happened to stumble on your group when I was searching for information about sheer and the effects dry air might have on Gus. I have to say that I found it interesting to watch your amateur discussions about the storms. I say that with the utmost respect for your interest in weather, indeed I learned a lot from many of your calm, cautious and logical members. However, some of the posts take on a bent of hopefulness for doom, and it seems that it's only for the sake of bragging rights that come with predicting the diasater. The facts are that the professional mets saw reason to be hopeful that dry air would wrap around and disturb this storms progress. I'm thankful they were right and their view and others that gave me hope that this would not be a repeat of Katrina. How curious that even when we knew they were right, their were still predictions of RI. That's one of the sure signs of stubborn egomania.

Who do you think you are? The NHC wasn't predicting weakening either, yet you seem to think the NHC is a bunch of amateurs who want doom and gloom.
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#10365 Postby CajunMama » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:00 pm

bob rulz wrote:
CajunMama wrote:
bob rulz wrote:I believe that brings the total direct death toll to 101.

US is higher 14 deaths

Electrocution, natural cause, and evacuation deaths are indirect, though. Four falling tree deaths and 2 tornado deaths equal 6. However, that list seems to be missing the car accident death. Is that still counted?

If you'd check the links, the car accident is the jefferson parish residents. The others are still related to gustav therefore they are considered as a result of gustav.
0 likes   

masaji79
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10366 Postby masaji79 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:27 pm

I am surprised that the cloud pattern of Gustav is still so well defined even this far after landfall. :eek: Almost looks better than Hanna at this point.
0 likes   

markalva
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: Re:

#10367 Postby markalva » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:55 pm

fasterdisaster wrote:
markalva wrote:As a resident of Mandeville La born in New Orleans, I happened to stumble on your group when I was searching for information about sheer and the effects dry air might have on Gus. I have to say that I found it interesting to watch your amateur discussions about the storms. I say that with the utmost respect for your interest in weather, indeed I learned a lot from many of your calm, cautious and logical members. However, some of the posts take on a bent of hopefulness for doom, and it seems that it's only for the sake of bragging rights that come with predicting the diasater. The facts are that the professional mets saw reason to be hopeful that dry air would wrap around and disturb this storms progress. I'm thankful they were right and their view and others that gave me hope that this would not be a repeat of Katrina. How curious that even when we knew they were right, their were still predictions of RI. That's one of the sure signs of stubborn egomania.

Who do you think you are? The NHC wasn't predicting weakening either, yet you seem to think the NHC is a bunch of amateurs who want doom and gloom.

Sorry tooo close to the bone?

When did the NHC predict Rapid Intisification to a cat 4 or 5 as some did here? They didn't, they stuck with a 3 as they did for the last 24 hours and they also noted weaking in some advisories. Any time anyone on this forum pointed out similar evidence, they were drowned out by the naysayers who predicted RI even as it came on shore. My point is, look at all sides of the evidence and don't just lean to the stuff that gets you excited. Just my view, you don't have to agree.
0 likes   

fasterdisaster
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#10368 Postby fasterdisaster » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:59 pm

markalva wrote:
fasterdisaster wrote:

Sorry tooo close to the bone?

When did the NHC predict Rapid Intisification to a cat 4 or 5 as some did here? They didn't, they stuck with a 3 as they did for the last 24 hours and they also noted weaking in some advisories. Any time anyone on this forum pointed out similar evidence, they were drowned out by the naysayers who predicted RI even as it came on shore. My point is, look at all sides of the evidence and don't just lean to the stuff that gets you excited. Just my view, you don't have to agree.

Less than 24 hours before landfall:

INITIAL 31/1500Z 25.3N 86.0W 105 KT
12HR VT 01/0000Z 27.0N 87.7W 115 KT
24HR VT 01/1200Z 28.6N 89.7W 115 KT
36HR VT 02/0000Z 30.0N 91.5W 85 KT...INLAND
48HR VT 02/1200Z 31.1N 93.0W 50 KT...INLAND
72HR VT 03/1200Z 32.0N 94.5W 30 KT...INLAND
96HR VT 04/1200Z 32.0N 95.0W 25 KT...INLAND
120HR VT 05/1200Z 32.0N 95.9W 20 KT...INLAND REMNANT LOW
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10369 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:59 pm

I live in the Lake Texoma region of Texas about an hour north of Dallas.

For more than 24 hours now, we've had sustained winds of 20 mph + (even 30 mph earlier today) with constant gusting into the mid to upper 30s (peak gust was yesterday at 43 mph).

Quite a blow with cloudy, drizzly and occasionally showery conditions here in N. Texas.

I know this - if this is what the remnants of a hurricane feel like two days after landfall and a few hundred miles away, I do not want to experience one at the beach! :double:
0 likes   

Innotech
Category 5
Category 5

#10370 Postby Innotech » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:04 pm

there are tornadoes all over Lafayette from the feeder bands in back of gustav. Really nasty weather.
0 likes   

crazycajuncane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10371 Postby crazycajuncane » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm

It's been a rough morning for ALL of Acadiana. I can't go fifteen minutes without a message on TV or radio about a Tornado Warning. Still haven't returned to work in New Iberia. Our facilities don't have electricity and the backup generators 2/3 failed during the storm. I would think that we'd have some source of power tomorrow. It's crazy that you have 90% of Lafayette with power and 75% of Iberia without. One parish to the next!
0 likes   

CajunMama
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#10372 Postby CajunMama » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:22 pm

The rains yesterday i'm sure hampered the utility workers. Iberia parish got slammed with training rains.

On a bright note, it looks like the severe weather is over, at least here in south lafayette parish. The sun is breaking through the clouds finally. Goodbye Gus!
0 likes   

Shockwave
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10373 Postby Shockwave » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Gustav is going to affect us Middle Tennesseans tomorrow possibly and bring with it 15-20 mph sustained winds with gust up to 30 mph+. We normally don't get that out of systems. Fay brought winds here, but I don't know if they where that rough. It's nothing to get wild about, but I am surprised to see Gustav still has some juice left in him this far inland.
0 likes   

Dave
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#10374 Postby Dave » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Gustav is going to pay us a visit starting thursday night up here in southern Indiana. Wind gusts to 40 mph and locally heavy rain. Severe cells are also possible. We need the rain bad, but could do without severe weather...we shall see what he brings to us.
0 likes   

Cyclone Runner
Category 1
Category 1

#10375 Postby Cyclone Runner » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:43 pm

KTBS now reporting 16 US deaths connected to Gustav. It provides an outline of how and where each occurred:

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Sixteen-deaths ... av--16463/
0 likes   

Tom8
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10376 Postby Tom8 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:02 pm

September 3, 2008 - Hurricane Gustav

http://modis.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/showall.php
0 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#10378 Postby bob rulz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:16 pm

bob rulz wrote:
CajunMama wrote:
bob rulz wrote:I believe that brings the total direct death toll to 101.

US is higher 14 deaths

If you'd check the links, the car accident is the jefferson parish residents. The others are still related to gustav therefore they are considered as a result of gustav.[/quote]

Yes but there's a differentiation between direct and indirect deaths. Direct deaths are caused DIRECTLY by the storm, so I prefer using those totals. Of course indirect deaths should be mentioned as well, as long as they're specified as indirect (which the NHC does a good job of but the media doesn't).
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10379 Postby HURAKAN » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Has anyone seen in WDSU the footage of the damage of the Industrial Canal caused by some boats that got loose during Gustav? It's unbelievable. God forbid another strong storm impacts the area this year.
0 likes   

Steve Cosby
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10380 Postby Steve Cosby » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:01 pm

Well, the "rain bands" of Gustav are over our heads and dumping water.

I now know the difference between "tropical" and what I call "run of the mill" rain. Tropical rain has very small rain drops but an exceptional volume. You get soaked quicker with tropical even if the rate of rainfall is the same as our "normal" storms in this area.

Pretty amazing.
Last edited by Steve Cosby on Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”