ATL HANNA: Extratropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wsquared77
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4121 Postby wsquared77 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:46 pm

Looks like there are several of us on here from New Bern! At our house here on the Neuse river, the wind has DEFINITELY picked up over the last hour and the rain seems to be coming in now. I'm really wishing that I had a few more lights around my house right now so i could see what's going on a little better!
0 likes   

BensonTCwatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#4122 Postby BensonTCwatcher » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:51 pm

not much here yet. you can click on roads on the floater. At 40 and 95. appros 100 miles inland. (added the miles inland after Fran) :wink:
0 likes   

Chino
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#4123 Postby Chino » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:54 pm

It seems like every eyewall feature that pops up on radar is transient. It still can't quite get its act together.
0 likes   

jude
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: ATL HANNA: Tropical Storm - Discussion

#4124 Postby jude » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:55 pm

[quote="angelwing"]I'm watching this more than Ike, living in Philly we don't get the excitement as much as Florida does. All is calm now, but we were supposed to go to the NJ shore tomorrow, not going now, they're calling for 4-7 inches of rain here and I live right by the Delaware river, will be watching that.[/quote]

You are smart to stay put- I'm in Cape May County- first feeder band is hitting HARD already.
0 likes   

Wannabewxman79
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4125 Postby Wannabewxman79 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:01 pm

Rain and a little wind here in Riegelwood. About 20 miles west of Wilmington. The lights just went off and came back on a couple of times.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4126 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:02 pm

0 likes   

capepoint
Category 1
Category 1

#4127 Postby capepoint » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:08 pm

They always turn eastward when coming in at a close angle. I think its interaction with the landmass, like a spinning bicycle tire up off of the ground then lowering and touching the pavement. 40 years of watching these things and I believe that every one coming up from off fla has always turned slightly as they approach where the coastline sticks out at Cape Fear and Cape Lookout. Seems like they always make landfall 40-60 miles north of where they are forcasted to come ashore. Of couse, this is only my own insane theory, and there is no scientific opinion to back it up (that I know of).

That said, I repeat my un-educated guess of a un-professional forcast...
Landfall between Cape Fear and Surf City, 75 mph. :)

Getting a little gusty (40's) here now, sustained about 30. Tide still running very high in the lower rivers and sounds. Just starting to rain again.

Oh, another strange looking thing this afternoon...there was so much salt spray being blown in off of the ocean, that it looked very hazy, almost foggy. This was coming from the east, so it was about 12-15 miles from the east facing beaches on Cape Lookout Seashore. It almost looked like a nor'easter.

Everybody stay safe.
0 likes   

masaji79
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4128 Postby masaji79 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:12 pm

Even if NHC doesn't upgrade Hanna to a Cat1 at landfall, they may after the fact. They did the same with Gaston a few years ago.
0 likes   

capepoint
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#4129 Postby capepoint » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Chino wrote:It seems like every eyewall feature that pops up on radar is transient. It still can't quite get its act together.

Be carefull trying to watch the center with radar. The beam is having to go thru a lot of rain, so what you are seeing as the center may or may not be it. Also at that range it is reading pretty high up. :cheesy:
0 likes   

BensonTCwatcher
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#4130 Postby BensonTCwatcher » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:15 pm

capepoint wrote:They always turn eastward when coming in at a close angle. I think its interaction with the landmass, like a spinning bicycle tire up off of the ground then lowering and touching the pavement. 40 years of watching these things and I believe that every one coming up from off fla has always turned slightly as they approach where the coastline sticks out at Cape Fear and Cape Lookout. Seems like they always make landfall 40-60 miles north of where they are forcasted to come ashore. Of couse, this is only my own insane theory, and there is no scientific opinion to back it up (that I know of).

That said, I repeat my un-educated guess of a un-professional forcast...
Landfall between Cape Fear and Surf City, 75 mph. :)

Everybody stay safe.

Actually there is data to back that up,but it's climatology. The sub-tropical ridge is in place most every year and storms catch a weakness and turn north.
0 likes   

orion
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4131 Postby orion » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:15 pm

I just changed the radar from Charleston to KLTX out of Wilmington... http://orionweather.net/index.php?content=radar.html. Loop will be a little jumpy until more frames are added because I forgot to turn off the ftp upload while I was changing stations. I'll keep it on Hanna as she makes her way up the east coast. Gonna head to bed for a little while until Hanna wakes me up. Everyone in the path stay safe.
0 likes   

Ed Mahmoud

#4132 Postby Ed Mahmoud » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:18 pm

JB says this could break the record for the lowest pressure ever in a tropical storm that wasn't a hurricane. He obviously thinks this should be a hurricance.

Warnings for New York City!
0 likes   

Chilly_Water
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4133 Postby Chilly_Water » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:56 pm

Lightly windy and rainy here in Charleston. Heard some thunder about 20 minutes ago. My weather station is reading an outrageous 4mph.
0 likes   

TexasSam
Category 2
Category 2

#4134 Postby TexasSam » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:05 pm

I found something strange from the Wilmington Tropical Storm Warning...

FOR WILMINGTON NC...
THERE IS A 99 PERCENT CHANCE OF TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS.
THERE IS A 2 PERCENT CHANCE OF HURRICANE FORCE WINDS.

FOR MYRTLE BEACH...
THERE IS A 99 PERCENT CHANCE OF TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS.
THERE IS A 1 PERCENT CHANCE OF HURRICANE FORCE WINDS.

Since it would only take a increase of 5mph, to be a Hurricane.
0 likes   

BensonTCwatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#4135 Postby BensonTCwatcher » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:21 pm

gusts and squalls coming in, maybe 25 mph. I think as in many storms in the past,once they are in the SW flow,they unwind and weaken. looks to be underway now. probably going to start missing forecast point to east a little bit.
0 likes   

GaryOBX
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4136 Postby GaryOBX » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:48 pm

Wilmington composite short-range radar loop shows the center very nicely... Hanna's definitely moving NNE, not quite NE. Looks like she'll come ashore in NC after all. Stay safe!

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?prod ... X&loop=yes
0 likes   

Ratchet
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4137 Postby Ratchet » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:49 pm

Great posts by everyone. My personal thanks to all of you.

I`m quietly waiting along with my drinks to enjoy tomarrow. I`ve pasted out all the info that I could get from each of you over the past few days. Heaven only knows how they`ll use it.

I`ll try and post some imfo along later around noon for everyone.

In the mean time everyone try to stay safe and keep the generators ready.
0 likes   

ncbird
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#4138 Postby ncbird » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:50 pm

wsquared77 wrote:Looks like there are several of us on here from New Bern! At our house here on the Neuse river, the wind has DEFINITELY picked up over the last hour and the rain seems to be coming in now. I'm really wishing that I had a few more lights around my house right now so i could see what's going on a little better!

Yes there are several of us from New Bern here. Over in the Fairfield Harbour area it has picked up a little. Nice and breezy 20 - 22, and had a gust to 39. Just wish we would get a little more of the rain... could really use it. Oh well, maybe as she moves closer. Took a walk over the the marina, and Neuse River has came up a bit but long way before it comes over the banks.

Thankfully Hanna will be nothing like Fran was 12 years ago today.
(1996) "At 0030 UTC on 6 September, Hurricane Fran made landfall in North Carolina near Bald Head Island as a Category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Scale"

NCBird
0 likes   

Chilly_Water
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4139 Postby Chilly_Water » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:05 am

All calm right now in Chucktown.
0 likes   

Bane
Category 2
Category 2

#4140 Postby Bane » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:41 am

hanna is nearing landfall on the nc/sc line. winds blowing at least to 40 mph here.
0 likes   

Return to “2008”