ATL: NICOLE - Ex Tropical Storm - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: NICOLE - Ex Tropical Storm - Discussion

#1161 Postby cycloneye » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:21 pm

Off Topic= How much more activity will the season have? Participate in the poll at Talking tropics forum.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=109583
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

sicktght311
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1162 Postby sicktght311 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:22 pm

Well now that Nicole is no more, and poses no threat other than gales and heavy rains, i'm looking forward to the surf she'll be providing for long island the second half of the week :)

New wetsuit i got last week now gets a proper testing :)
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1163 Postby MGC » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Waste of a name.....and to think some of the models were forecasting a hurricane......MGC
0 likes   

emeraldislencguy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1164 Postby emeraldislencguy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:30 pm

some of yall just cant understand the threat of major floods in eastern nc--the ground is super saturated and the creeks and ditches are running almost full--I just dont get it--it may not have a name but that doesnt mean it can't be a life threatening flood event or can bring property damage--I love this discussion forum but I just dont understand the thought process of some of the members on here--just came back and saw how much water is in the fields and in the ditches--and how high the water is now and if you add an additional 5 -7 inches it could be a disaster.
0 likes   

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

#1165 Postby Raebie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:32 pm

Word.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1166 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:39 pm

emeraldislencguy wrote:some of yall just cant understand the threat of major floods in eastern nc--the ground is super saturated and the creeks and ditches are running almost full--I just dont get it--it may not have a name but that doesnt mean it can't be a life threatening flood event or can bring property damage--I love this discussion forum but I just dont understand the thought process of some of the members on here--just came back and saw how much water is in the fields and in the ditches--and how high the water is now and if you add an additional 5 -7 inches it could be a disaster.

This is so true. Some people don't grasp the fact that extrme flooding in many instances is the most damaging result of tropical cyclones. I experienced the devastating flooding from Tropical Storm Fay two years ago and trust me, it was a major, major problem in Florida. Strong winds are just one component, but certainly we can't underestimate the power of mother nature in how she can squeeze out the moisture in the atmosphere and dump it all out at rates of devastating proportions! That is what many in Eastern N.C., parts of Florida and of course those suffering in Central America right now as we speak.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1167 Postby Ntxw » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:40 pm

emeraldislencguy wrote:some of yall just cant understand the threat of major floods in eastern nc--the ground is super saturated and the creeks and ditches are running almost full--I just dont get it--it may not have a name but that doesnt mean it can't be a life threatening flood event or can bring property damage--I love this discussion forum but I just dont understand the thought process of some of the members on here--just came back and saw how much water is in the fields and in the ditches--and how high the water is now and if you add an additional 5 -7 inches it could be a disaster.

It's been stated over and over on this and many other tropical system threads that no one wishes the heavy rainfall that comes with them. It's automatic that everyone has good intentions and don't wish flooding or anything like that. When people are disappointed, they are saying the schematics of how the models advertise something bigger on paper and doesn't materialize. On a human scale, I'm pretty sure everyone on here wishes the best to those in harms way regardless.
Last edited by Ntxw on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1168 Postby srainhoutx » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Ntxw wrote:

It's been stated over and over on this and many other tropical system threads that no one wishes the heavy rainfall that comes with them. It's automatic that everyone has good intentions and don't wish flooding or anything like that. When people are disappointed, they are saying the schematics of how the models advertise something bigger on paper and doesn't materialize. On a human scale, I'm pretty sure everyone on here wishes the best to those in harms way regardless.

Nice post Ntxw. And very true. :wink:
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Cuber
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1169 Postby Cuber » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:42 pm

emeralislencguy ... capepoint gets it ... read his forecast post a page back from this. North Carolina's soaked ground that is going to get even soggier is not a result of this tropical rainmaker. It's from the front that helped keep this rainmaker from getting stronger.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

emeraldislencguy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1170 Postby emeraldislencguy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 pm

I know he gets it but some do not
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1171 Postby northjaxpro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 pm

srainhoutx wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Nice post Ntxw. And very true. :wink:

I concur. I definitely in all sincerity is inclined to believe that there is no one whatsoever who would want anything like what is happening in terms of any natural disasters to impact anyone.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1172 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:00 pm

Ntxw wrote:
emeraldislencguy wrote:On a human scale, I'm pretty sure everyone on here wishes the best to those in harms way regardless.

Yes, totally agree, but in a lull like we have right now, sometimes it is just nice to personally read it by folks that are still expecting bad weather - especially in a thread that has been dominated by Floridians for several days. And, personally, after spending many months in both DFW and NW Houston, I can remember when rainfalls of five or more inches shut the cities down with flooding so I know you can relate. Sorry to take this off topic, but the very best thing about this board (IMO) is that we keep these kind of posts to a minimum when storms are popping, but bring back the humanistic side when possible.
0 likes   
Donna/WPB 1960 - terrorized for life :-). Fourth of six generations living on the FL East Coast since the 50's.

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1173 Postby BigB0882 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:18 pm

It floods in Kansas, doesn't mean they got hit by a hurricane. Just saying...

No one is ignoring the flood threat by saying this is a joke of a tropical storm or that a name was wasted on this. Not everything is a personal attack.
0 likes   

Recurve
Category 5
Category 5

ATL: NICOLE - Ex Tropical Storm - Discussion

#1174 Postby Recurve » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Still raining very hard here in the Upper Keys. There were periods of only light rain at times today, but now we're under a heavy band that's kind of pulsing in place. So far with this storm, the NOAA weather station on Key Largo is showing more than 11.5 inches of accumulated rainfall.
[/b](from the Handar station here: http://amazon.nws.noaa.gov/nexhads2/jsp/dipper/prepareDCPChart2.jsp?nesdis_id=8170258A&nwsli=KLNF1&pe_code=TA)

Pressure is at its lowest point so far, 29.4. Winds were very light to calm throughout the day, with some gusts in squalls.

Temperature is around 78 after peaking at 79. Molasses Reef reporting S wind at 11 knots, pressure 29.39 in
0 likes   

capepoint
Category 1
Category 1

#1175 Postby capepoint » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:38 pm

As bad as it looks for Eastern NC right now, if some of the models are right and this pattern continues into next week with another low (Possibly tropical) working up the coast, we could be in real trouble then. :roll:
0 likes   
Ginger-(eye),Dennis,Diana,Kate,Gloria,Charley-(eye),Allison,Arthur,Bertha,Fran,Josephine,Bonnie,Earl,Dennis-(twice),Floyd, Isabel-(eye),Charley,Ophelia-(eyewall),Ernesto,Barry,Hanna,Irene-(eye),Arthur-(eye), Florence, Dorian, and countless depressions, storms, and nor'easters.

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1176 Postby jlauderdal » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:41 pm

another radar estimate

0 likes   

Vortmax1
Category 1
Category 1

#1177 Postby Vortmax1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Three day rain estimates:

0 likes   

SootyTern
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1178 Postby SootyTern » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:00 pm

sandyb wrote:
capepoint wrote:As bad as it looks for Eastern NC right now, if some of the models are right and this pattern continues into next week with another low (Possibly tropical) working up the coast, we could be in real trouble then. :roll:

oh no please dont pay any attention to the models i was asking about them earlier and i was told to take them with a gain of salt, but i suppose that is becasue they didnt have anything headed toward FLORIDA... it if was headed there well hellloo things would be more of a concern

Oh noooo not more State Wars. This board is what we make it. I'm actually surprised there aren't more NC people posting here now; maybe because your rains won't technically be from a tropical cyclone. As for the other long-running argument about trusting models at the long range, that also has nothing to do with what state you're in. I do find it interesting that such a model consensus of an organized tropical entity passing over my neighborhood did not come to pass. Learned about large broad monsoon lows in the process.

We did dodge a bullet with the heaviest (10" or so ) rain staying just offshore. I hope y'all are as fortunate, with all the rain you already have had.
0 likes   

Vortmax1
Category 1
Category 1

#1179 Postby Vortmax1 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:01 pm

As far as the 12Z ECMWF is concerned we will be seeing the gyre in the Caribbean shifting East and sitting over Hispaniola and Puerto Rico so it won't be a concern for any Florida people or God forbid...anyone in NC!
0 likes   

emeraldislencguy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1180 Postby emeraldislencguy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 pm

raining very very ahrd at emerald isle
the roads are flooed in some areas
a two hour delay for schools in carteret and onslow countiesI think it is ony going to get worse
0 likes   

Return to “2010”