ATL: MATTHEW - Ex-Tropical Storm - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#21 Postby KWT » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:28 am

It doesn't look too bad right now to be honest, probably worthy of a 30% but clearly what is going to grab the attention is going to be the threat down the line...personally I think its unlikely this one goes east of say Florida and a track up through Florida into the Atlantic ocean IMO at this early stage is more likely but frankly at this time of year the models struggle with the transition into winter further north...
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL : INVEST 95L - Discussion

#22 Postby Sanibel » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:36 am

Maybe this one will break the straight west pattern and hook up into the Gulf.
0 likes   

Vortmax1
Category 1
Category 1

#23 Postby Vortmax1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:36 am

TROPICAL DISCUSSION - INTERNATIONAL DESKS
NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD
613 AM EDT TUE SEP 21 2010

ON THE LONG RANGE...THE EWP AND CFS MODELS GENERALLY AGREE ON
FAVORABLE MJO CONDITIONS TO WEAKEN BY THE END OF THE MONTH. THE
GFS IS THE MOST OPTIMISTIC...SHOWING FAVORABLE CONDITIONS
PERSISTING... IF NOT INTENSIFYING...BY THE BEGINNING OF OCTOBER.
BUT CURRENT TREND DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS...AS THE OBSERVED PATTERN
HAVE BEEN RANGING BETWEEN 10-15 DAYS BETWEEN PERIODS OF
FAVORABLE/UNFAVORABLE MJO CONDITIONS. IF THE PATTERN HOLDS...THE
EWP/CFS HAVE BETTER ODDS OF VERIFYING THAN THE GFS.
0 likes   

TreasureIslandFLGal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Clearwater, Florida ~3 miles from the coast now. We finally moved safely off the barrier island!

#24 Postby TreasureIslandFLGal » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:36 am

Future Matthew definitely has my attention. Of course, our dock is being repaired right now, so my boat is casually clinging to the "visiting dock". If a storm approaches in a week, who knows where I can tie it down. Then again, if Matt shows up on our beach at the strength some of the models are indicating, I suppose I won't be that worried about the boat after all. I don't like the setup down the road of an approaching front/trough. Best case for us would be a stronger front that skirts the storm to the NE well south of Tampa Bay, aka Charlie. However, as large as this storm is shaping up, we would want it to cross the state much further south to have the least impact on us.
That said, I wouldn't want to wish a bad storm on anyone.
Something tells me that Matt will get retired this year. Someone isn't going to have a fun time with this one. This could have a bad hit on CA and a second bad hit on the northern to eastern gulf.
Best case scenario would be a storm that can't get its act together that just drifts west into CA without ever getting going.
0 likes   
Chrissy & Ligeia
Chrissy & Nikki
:flag:

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#25 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:38 am

I am not saying it will be the same, but is a coincidence that the replacement name (Matthew) is for one of the most powerful hurricanes on history in the Western Caribbean (Mitch 1998).
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby bvigal » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:43 am

If climatology is so important, how come we ignore the Clipper model? :lol: There is always a first time for a new track, etc. Remember Mitch? It went south into Honduras when every single storm before that had gone N or NW.
0 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#27 Postby HurricaneBelle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:44 am

cycloneye wrote:I am not saying it will be the same, but is a coincidence that the replacement name (Matthew) is for one of the most powerful hurricanes on history in the Western Caribbean (Mitch 1998).

Not only that, the last storm with a name ending in "ew" didn't treat Florida very well.
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby bvigal » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:44 am

Hola, Luis! We are in tune!! :lol:
0 likes   

thetruesms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#29 Postby thetruesms » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:49 am

tolakram wrote:Yes, that's correct. Cyclones that have already formed tend to intensify in this area. I think it's more statistical than anything else ... very few cyclones form in this area.
It appears to be related to an increased low level jet across the Caribbean enhancing low level divergence. However, the influence of that factor tends to decrease as the season goes on.
0 likes   

bohaiboy
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#30 Postby bohaiboy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:51 am

Our private met here in Houston indicates winds of 20-30 with gusts to 50-60 in thunderstorms. They also mention a strong trough should pick up the expected hurricane just east of the Yucatan and steer it N-NE in to central or NE GOM. The local forecasts also reflects cooler weather arriving H-Town this weekend also, so a front definitely on the way.
0 likes   
TW in Texas Hill Country :flag:

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby hurricaneCW » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:59 am

HurricaneBelle wrote:
cycloneye wrote:I am not saying it will be the same, but is a coincidence that the replacement name (Matthew) is for one of the most powerful hurricanes on history in the Western Caribbean (Mitch 1998).

Not only that, the last storm with a name ending in "ew" didn't treat Florida very well.

What was the "ew" storm that didn't treat Florida well?

Never mind, I just got it.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#32 Postby boca » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:06 am

THE MOIST AIR MASS IS FORECAST BY THE MODELS TO DRY OUT THURSDAY
AND FRIDAY OF THIS WEEK. HOWEVER...THE APPROACHING COLD FRONT FROM
THE NORTH WILL COMBINE WITH A WEAK EASTERLY WAVE MOVING ACROSS THE
NORTHERN GULF TO HELP INCREASE THE RAIN CHANCES OVER THE WEEKEND.
EARLY NEXT WEEK LOOKS TO BE COOLER AND DRIER ONCE AGAIN.

That was out of the NWS in Houston/Galveston regarding that cool front.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby SFLcane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:08 am

Quote from masters blog this morning...http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1627

Equally likely scenarios are that 95L will stay in the Western Caribbean, or that the storm will make landfall over Nicaragua and dissipate on Friday, and never reach the Western Caribbean. It is too early to assign probabilities on which of these three scenarios is the most likely.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby ConvergenceZone » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:18 am

Equally likely scenarios are that 95L will stay in the Western Caribbean, or that the storm will make landfall over Nicaragua and dissipate on Friday, and never reach the Western Caribbean. It is too early to assign probabilities on which of these three scenarios is the most likely.[/b]

You forgot to include the other part of what Jeff Masters said, which is:

"With a strong trough of low pressure expected to dive southwards over the Eastern U.S. and form a "cut-off" upper level low over the Southeast U.S. this weekend, this potential hurricane could get drawn northwards across western Cuba into the Gulf of Mexico. "
0 likes   

Cyclone1
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby Cyclone1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:20 am

HurricaneBelle wrote:

You mean Tropical Storm Matthew in 2004? That didn't even make landfall in Florida.

:P
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#36 Postby wxman57 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:21 am

SFLcane wrote:Quote from masters blog this morning...http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1627

Equally likely scenarios are that 95L will stay in the Western Caribbean, or that the storm will make landfall over Nicaragua and dissipate on Friday, and never reach the Western Caribbean. It is too early to assign probabilities on which of these three scenarios is the most likely.

Part of his uncertainty may be due to the recent problems with the GFS runs being almost exactly opposite of the Euro, Canadian and NOGAPS as far as the projected east coast trof late this coming weekend. Before the past run or two, the GFS had a massive ridge where all the other models had a deep trof. Because of this, the GFS kept the storm south over the Yucatan or over CA. I don't think that's likely to happen.
0 likes   

caneseddy
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby caneseddy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:24 am

wxman57 wrote:
SFLcane wrote:Quote from masters blog this morning...http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1627

Part of his uncertainty may be due to the recent problems with the GFS runs being almost exactly opposite of the Euro, Canadian and NOGAPS as far as the projected east coast trof late this coming weekend. Before the past run or two, the GFS had a massive ridge where all the other models had a deep trof. Because of this, the GFS kept the storm south over the Yucatan or over CA. I don't think that's likely to happen.

Now that you are here...the question everybody wants to ask you is: Where do you think 95L/future Matthew is going to end up and how strong? :cheesy:
Last edited by caneseddy on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Category 5
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby Category 5 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:25 am

HurricaneBelle wrote:

Matthew in 2004, was so unkind to florida, it decided not to ravage an already beaten down state, what a jerk. :P :wink:
0 likes   
"GAME SET MATCH GIANTS WILL WIN THE NFC EAST and have a FIRST ROUND BYE with a win next week!!!" - StormingB81, the Giants lost, and did not win the NFC east.

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Aquawind » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks CZ!

wxman57 are you thinking it get's lifted more north as well then? Are you still open for a Western GOM threat than or a stall then turn? You can be a vague as you want..lol We know it's early and won't point fingers..well I won't! :cheesy:
Last edited by Aquawind on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

CDO62
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#40 Postby CDO62 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:41 am

0 likes   

Return to “2010”