ATL: OTTO - Post-tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#501 Postby DanKellFla » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:34 pm

What happened to the sat pics. They are all messed up?
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#502 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:04 pm

bursting
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#503 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:05 pm

DanKellFla wrote:What happened to the sat pics. They are all messed up?

The same thing happened yesterday. Seems like a satellite or computer error
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#504 Postby KWT » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:08 pm

A nice big burst right over where the last convective mass was weakening, looks like its more or less holding steady right now at 50kts.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#505 Postby DanKellFla » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:21 pm

We must really be burn out. A potential hurricane and very few posts. We are spoiled..... Ehhhh it might not even be a Cat 1.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#506 Postby KWT » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:26 pm

I don't think its even that, as sad as it is everyone knows its no longer a threat to any major landmass bar maybe the Azores and so people frankly just don't case about it...plus as you said its been a busy month or so!
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#507 Postby plasticup » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:53 pm

That is one weird looking storm.
0 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#508 Postby HURAKAN » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:03 pm

Latest
0 likes   

SootyTern
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#509 Postby SootyTern » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:08 pm

I think he's kinda cute, actually........I know, that was a very in-depth scientific analysis :)
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#510 Postby brunota2003 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:11 pm

Is it a trick of the convection moving further east, or is Otto actually finally slowly moving eastward? The latest advisory says it is moving NE at 6 mph, but it looks more due east it seems.
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#511 Postby bvigal » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:13 pm

KWT wrote:I don't think its even that, as sad as it is everyone knows its no longer a threat to any major landmass bar maybe the Azores and so people frankly just don't case about it...plus as you said its been a busy month or so!

I think you are right, KWT. But speaking from one of many NON-major landmasses (Eastern Caribbean nations), we are having the WORST FLOODING IN HISTORY, and are under a state of emergency now for 36hrs. The damage toll on OTTO will be significant, even though not one single watch or warning was ever issued.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Re:

#512 Postby cycloneye » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:22 pm

bvigal wrote:
KWT wrote:I don't think its even that, as sad as it is everyone knows its no longer a threat to any major landmass bar maybe the Azores and so people frankly just don't case about it...plus as you said its been a busy month or so!

I think you are right, KWT. But speaking from one of many NON-major landmasses (Eastern Caribbean nations), we are having the WORST FLOODING IN HISTORY, and are under a state of emergency now for 36hrs. The damage toll on OTTO will be significant, even though not one single watch or warning was ever issued.

And Puerto Rico got into the rain event since last night with countless flood advisories,roads closed,many rivers over banks,mudslides but so far with no fatalities, all thanks to the tail of Otto. See all the reports from the islands at the Caribbean thread, at U.S & Caribbean Weather forum.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: Tropical Storm OTTO - Discussion

#513 Postby bvigal » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Excerpts from http://www2.bviplatinum.com/news.php?module=news&page=Article&articleID=1286401681
State of Emergency Declared; Worst Flood - DDM
Melissa French, Staff Reporter

...The entire Territory has been declared a state of emergency by Governor William Boyd McCleary on Wednesday following severe flooding that gripped the Territory, while the Department of Disaster Management (DDM) said it is the worst flood that has ever hit the Territory.

...Governor McCleary said the damage caused by this flooding has bypassed that of Earl. Four shelters are now open and persons are encouraged to utilise the shelters.

...That was yesterday, and it's still raining, a lot.
0 likes   

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#514 Postby msbee » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:31 pm

bvigal wrote:

Honestly I am so tired of people saying this is no threat to land. We are land aren't we?

If a storm isn't named or it isn't threatening someone directly, most people do not think it's a big deal.
and you are right, bvigal, not one watch or warning issued.
I keep saying that even a tropical wave can cause serious problems to the fragile eco structure on our tiny islands.
We have terrible devastation that is occurring on our islands. We here on St. Maarten have had 18 inches of rain and have severe flooding.
and God knows how much damage from the flooding when the water recedes. and our beaches..severe erosion..
and don't talk about the loss in business for the past 4 days......cruise ships canceled, stores closed.

This may not have been a hurricane. This may not have been a direct hit.
But believe me, this has been a significant storm for our tiny islands.
0 likes   
Too many hurricanes to remember

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#515 Postby KWT » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:42 pm

18 inches is real impressive rainfall and from the looks of the reports I've been looking at its certainly worthy of an emergency warning.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#516 Postby cycloneye » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Only by seeing this map of the rainfall totals for the last 48 hours tells the story about what Otto has done indirectly in Puerto Rico/ Virgin Islands.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#517 Postby bvigal » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:02 pm

That radar totals is impressive. But since we've been at the top of the scale since Tuesday (white), it doesn't demonstrate the extent of this. We are likely over 20" now, in about 52hrs.
0 likes   

angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#518 Postby angelwing » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:06 pm

bvigal wrote:Excerpts from http://www2.bviplatinum.com/news.php?module=news&page=Article&articleID=1286401681
State of Emergency Declared; Worst Flood - DDM
Melissa French, Staff Reporter

...The entire Territory has been declared a state of emergency by Governor William Boyd McCleary on Wednesday following severe flooding that gripped the Territory, while the Department of Disaster Management (DDM) said it is the worst flood that has ever hit the Territory.

...Governor McCleary said the damage caused by this flooding has bypassed that of Earl. Four shelters are now open and persons are encouraged to utilise the shelters.

...That was yesterday, and it's still raining, a lot.

I have been following this and just wanted to let you know that I have been praying and will continue to pray for all of you.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#519 Postby cycloneye » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:15 pm

Here is the radar loop of the rainfall totals since 48 hours to present. :eek: You can't see the Virgin Islands and barely Puerto Rico.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes
0 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#520 Postby bvigal » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks, Angelwing! Luis has posted a loop. But the individual shots in that loop only go back one hour. I've some stills that I saved, just posted in Caribbean thread, will also post here.

Our rain started about 8:30am Tuesday morning, October 5. I checked the radar estimate that day, and it wasn't recording the amount of rain our gages were showing. But the next morning I saved this picture, we were already over 12" per DDM gage. The white areas you see are in the US and British Virgin Islands, they are 8" or MORE, the scale doesn't go any higher! :eek:

and from this morning, you can see Puerto Rico begin to accumulate significant totals, too.

It's raining HARD right now, and has been for almost 2 hours. Will this EVER stop??? :double:
0 likes   

Return to “2010”