ATL: TROPICAL DEPRESSION BONNIE - DISCUSSION

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: TROPICAL DEPRESSION BONNIE - DISCUSSION

#3141 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Bonnie and Alex are demonstrating that things will be getting quite interesting in the Gulf next month when the shear drops.

I guess I'm wishcasting Wxman, when I say that I hope you are wrong..... :wink:
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#3142 Postby KWT » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:16 pm

That circulation is just about holding on still looking at the loops, there is a couple of cells on the western side trying to keep it on life support.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3143 Postby MGC » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Looks like the circulation center is SSW of Mobile. Some pretty decent convection has fired up in the NW quadrant which might bring some gusty wind if it holds together at landfall.....MGC
Last edited by MGC on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

shell70
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3144 Postby shell70 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:04 pm

This might have already been asked and answered but I got to know. What is the that convection coming off of the Florida Coast into the Gulf. Is that the tail that was associated with Bonnie yesterday?

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201003_sat.html#a_topad
0 likes   

shell70
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3145 Postby shell70 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:06 pm

MGC wrote:Looks like the circulation center is SSW of Mobile. Some pretty decent convection has fired up in the NW quadrant which migt bring some gusty wind if it holds together at landfall.....MGC

I am just about 22 miles Northwest of Gulf Shores and the wind has picked up here. A nice breeze that makes being outdoors nice. :)
0 likes   

shell70
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3146 Postby shell70 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:12 pm

I just found this webcam of the Big Pier along the eastern shore on Mobile Bay.

http://cofweb1.cofairhope.com/piercam.htm They just put it back up. It went down during Hurricane Katrina and they just got it up and running about a month ago.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#3147 Postby ROCK » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:14 pm

wxman57 wrote:
ROCK wrote:
Ivanhater wrote:Bonnie was a good lesson for all of us for the rest of the season as far as persistence (she never really should have been alive in that environment) and also steering . Wxman and others pointed out the central gulf states would be at risk this year and this showed that.

I hope everyone stays safe this season because it has been warned over and over, the big ones are coming...

landfalling TC predictions is like throwing darts. WXMN knows this as well as all the other independant agencys out there..Thats why they use the words "we think" "its possible" etc etc..its all about timing and evolution of the upper air pattern on close approach..

IMO, all GOM states are at risk not just central gulf states....

Got to stick up for us Texas folks you know, Ivan.... :lol:

Landfall prediction areas are based upon analog year landfalls. Taking a look at all the years with a similar pattern going into the start of the season, there were significant impacts across the Caribbean, the SE U.S., and the northern Mexico coast south of Brownsville. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that only those areas will be hit. Bonnie and Alex are demonstrating that things will be getting quite interesting in the Gulf next month when the shear drops.

And thats the kicker. Analog years is about as good as one can get at predicting landfalling systems. There really is no sound science behind it but I get your point though.....these 2 guys were just warning shots for what is about to come this season, IMO...
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#3148 Postby KWT » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:14 pm

MGC wrote:Looks like the circulation center is SSW of Mobile. Some pretty decent convection has fired up in the NW quadrant which might bring some gusty wind if it holds together at landfall.....MGC

Yeah the convection is a little stronger then it has been for Bonnie recently, I'd imagine daytime heat tomorrow will fire Bonnie's remaining leftovers up withwith convection when its inland.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

nashrobertsx
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3149 Postby nashrobertsx » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:47 pm

it actually lools like some banding on its west/ nw side on radar now.. i dont know how to post the best radr on here, but maybe someone else can and zoom in on the system for us.. also, every tropical system seems to intensify right before landfall..this thing did it when it hit miami, alex did it and so many others.. so i wouldnt be surprised it ramps up a little bit before hitting the coast after midnight..just for historical reasons..kind of like what its doing on radar now..
0 likes   

taccido
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3150 Postby taccido » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:48 pm

There is some precip on the radar it seems. Bonnie is a fighter until the very end. What an exciting storm. Bonnie fool everyone. Even the professionals totally failed to predict this perplexing storm. :eek:
0 likes   

RachelAnna
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3151 Postby RachelAnna » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:55 pm

shell70 wrote:This might have already been asked and answered but I got to know. What is the that convection coming off of the Florida Coast into the Gulf. Is that the tail that was associated with Bonnie yesterday?

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201003_sat.html#a_topad

Good question. I have no idea, but looks interesting. Anyone?
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3152 Postby Ivanhater » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:05 pm

ROCK wrote:
Ivanhater wrote:Bonnie was a good lesson for all of us for the rest of the season as far as persistence (she never really should have been alive in that environment) and also steering . Wxman and others pointed out the central gulf states would be at risk this year and this showed that.

I hope everyone stays safe this season because it has been warned over and over, the big ones are coming...

landfalling TC predictions is like throwing darts. WXMN knows this as well as all the other independant agencys out there..Thats why they use the words "we think" "its possible" etc etc..its all about timing and evolution of the upper air pattern on close approach..

IMO, all GOM states are at risk not just central gulf states....

Got to stick up for us Texas folks you know, Ivan.... :lol:

Oh no doubt about that Rock, I guess I should have been a bit clearer about my thoughts. It was in reference to the notion that this year will be just like 2007 with everything heading west into Mexico. While Mexico is at risk as well, it has been noted the central gulf coast is at a high risk as well as Bonnie has proven. But yes, everyone is at risk was my point :D
0 likes   
Michael

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3153 Postby AdamFirst » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:08 am

Looks like the remnant low has finally landfallen on the Mississippi River Delta according to New Orleans radar, making a beeline to downtown New Orleans. A broad spin accompanied by a few moderate squalls.

We can only thank the weather Gods for this storm being a remnant low in July taking this track, and not something much more later in the season.
0 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#3154 Postby KWT » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:44 am

Yep we should just be lucky with the ULL, the only worrying thing is often you'll get a later season storm follow the earlier season storm...
0 likes   

tigergirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3155 Postby tigergirl » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:06 am

Tornado warning not far from me. "Impressive" circulation on radar now...people on the West Bank is getting a good morning call from Bonnie now.
0 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3156 Postby LSU2001 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:17 am

Yep Tigergirl,
Woke up to quite an impressive display here in Cut Off myself. It is nice outside though this morning, nice breeze and a heck of a lot of lightning. overall a very cool show.
Tim
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#3157 Postby KWT » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:19 am

Looking fairly active on thwe radar with numerous strong cells in there. Very wet start for SE LA.
0 likes   

tigergirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3158 Postby tigergirl » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:23 am

Looking at this interactive Radar from wwltv.com

http://www.wwltv.com/weather/interactiv ... p=regional

I think this is the best she has looked in her existance!
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3159 Postby Steve » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:31 am

Kind of surprised. It's been lightning for at least 3 hours, and I'm on the western edge of the circulation. Clouds are still coming down from the north, but should swing around to the SW as the circulation passes by slightly to the east. Pretty heavy rains and much more than I thought we'd get. Glad I stayed up.
0 likes   

tigergirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#3160 Postby tigergirl » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:38 am

Steve wrote:Kind of surprised. It's been lightning for at least 3 hours, and I'm on the western edge of the circulation. Clouds are still coming down from the north, but should swing around to the SW as the circulation passes by slightly to the east. Pretty heavy rains and much more than I thought we'd get. Glad I stayed up.

Kind of reminds you of Cindy doesn't it..of course Cindy was stronger, but was suppose to be "nothing" then boom all hell breaks loose in Lower Lafourche, then they upgraded her to Cat1 one....which happened over land! I bet those on the Westbank and Central Lafourche area are getting a surprise this morning!
0 likes   

Return to “2010”