ATL: NICOLE - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#81 Postby AtlanticWind » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Aquawind wrote:GFS is out.. Looks like most of "it" will stay east of Florida..

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... loop.shtml

Well yeah unless you live on the east coast where the GFS takes it right over.
0 likes   

Weatherfreak000

Re:

#82 Postby Weatherfreak000 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:06 am

Aquawind wrote:GFS is out.. Looks like most of "it" will stay east of Florida..

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... loop.shtml

The low at the end of that run is kinda scary....
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL : INVEST 96L - Models

#83 Postby SFLcane » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:24 am

0 likes   

ericinmia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#84 Postby ericinmia » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:02 am

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts ... 0092800!!/

Updated 00z euro...
Posting from my phone...
48hrs showing a sheared/elongated storm.
This run has the PREDICT flight data in it...
0 likes   

DanKellFla
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby DanKellFla » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:41 am

Is anybody going to go get gas for their generators?
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby Patrick99 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:00 am

Any time any kind of low stays east of us, we get *nothing*. Could be a forecast bust rainwise. We'd get more rain if the low stayed off the west coast of FL.
0 likes   

Cuber
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#87 Postby Cuber » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:09 am

DanKellFla wrote:Is anybody going to go get gas for their generators?

If I were a customer of Lake Worth Utilities I would
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#88 Postby jlauderdal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:11 am

FPL Power Grid+30 mph winds=50 gallons

if i dont use it for this one then maybe this weekend for the next or in my car
0 likes   

wzrgirl1
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#89 Postby wzrgirl1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:26 am

jlauderdal wrote:

FPL Power Grid+30 mph winds=50 gallons

if i dont use it for this one then maybe this weekend for the next or in my car

We went yesterday and got more canned goods, water and gas for our grill just in case. The pattern looks too ominous to me.
0 likes   

MWatkins
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#90 Postby MWatkins » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:04 am

The 06Z GFS takes this into SE Florida in 36 hours or so. Not very symmetrical in the models, but this setup would put a lot of rain down.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... p_036m.gif

The rain is going to start later this morning once the atmosphere heats up. Precipitable water values are moving off the chart, and just a little surface heating should kick off the rain before the bands move in from the system itself.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/watl/loop-wv.html

Long couple of days ahead.

MW
0 likes   
Updating on the twitter now: http://www.twitter.com/@watkinstrack

jpigott
Category 2
Category 2

#91 Postby jpigott » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:18 am

MWatkins wrote:The 06Z GFS takes this into SE Florida in 36 hours or so. Not very symmetrical in the models, but this setup would put a lot of rain down.

The rain is going to start later this morning once the atmosphere heats up. Precipitable water values are moving off the chart, and just a little surface heating should kick off the rain before the bands move in from the system itself.

MW

MW - Always appreciate your thoughts and analysis, being a SE Florida resident as well. Question - I'm looking at that water vapor loop and still see the trough/front digging S and E. It looks to me based upon current trends that all the weather is going to be shunted off the SE FL coast. Is the trough/front going to retrograde/stall because if it doesn't I don't see how this doesn't miss us?
0 likes   

MWatkins
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#92 Postby MWatkins » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:45 am

jpigott wrote:
MWatkins wrote:The 06Z GFS takes this into SE Florida in 36 hours or so. Not very symmetrical in the models, but this setup would put a lot of rain down.

MW

MW - Always appreciate your thoughts and analysis, being a SE Florida resident as well. Question - I'm looking at that water vapor loop and still see the trough/front digging S and E. It looks to me based upon current trends that all the weather is going to be shunted off the SE FL coast. Is the trough/front going to retrograde/stall because if it doesn't I don't see how this doesn't miss us?

Looking at the various models SW flow is going to set up right over Florida, and the ridge to the east should be fairly stationary. This is going to create an exit corridor from the Caribbean, and 96L should move right through that.

Timing and the exact location of the low will of course be critical, but the trough doesn't look progressive enough to cause a clean miss. 96L could end up passing us to the east, but it's going to be a close call.

Interesting day ahead at least :)

MW
0 likes   
Updating on the twitter now: http://www.twitter.com/@watkinstrack

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#93 Postby GCANE » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:10 am

Large spread in the ensembles on where this will be in 72 hrs

0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby artist » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:42 am

the green models are fairly useless is this part of the basin so they can be thrown out. (they are deep atlantic tropics models)
0 likes   

invest man
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#95 Postby invest man » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:49 am

I noticed that some of the more reliable models (exclude bam models) takes the storm between Charleston and Morehead city in 60 to 72 hrs as a mid cat 1. Am I missing something here and is this possible? Does anybody else see this and if I'm wrong please correct me. IM
0 likes   

sandyb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#96 Postby sandyb » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:24 am

invest man wrote:I noticed that some of the more reliable models (exclude bam models) takes the storm between Charleston and Morehead city in 60 to 72 hrs as a mid cat 1. Am I missing something here and is this possible? Does anybody else see this and if I'm wrong please correct me. IM

yea i see that too im in morehead city looks like we are in for something here to thursday...dont know what yet but i think looking and reading comments maybe a cat 1 hurricane and no one except us are talking about it
0 likes   
CARTERET COUNTY NC

invest man
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#97 Postby invest man » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:29 am

sandyb wrote:
invest man wrote:I noticed that some of the more reliable models (exclude bam models) takes the storm between Charleston and Morehead city in 60 to 72 hrs as a mid cat 1. Am I missing something here and is this possible? Does anybody else see this and if I'm wrong please correct me. IM

yea i see that too im in morehead city looks like we are in for something here to thursday...dont know what yet but i think looking and reading comments maybe a cat 1 hurricane and no one except us are talking about it

Yeah, I'm in New Bern and local mets not even talking to much about it. Still don't know if this is a real TC threat. Talk is it may be a extra or sub tropical but I still remember the March of 1993 storm that did a lot of damage around here as well as knocking the power out for over 24 hrs!
0 likes   

Aquawind
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby Aquawind » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:29 am

sandyb wrote:

Some of the models are hinting at that..but it probably won't be tropical at that point. Heck none of the METS are chimming in yet today..so clearly it's a bit confusing and not a real urgent situation for anyone yet.
0 likes   

capepoint
Category 1
Category 1

#99 Postby capepoint » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:05 am

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC
445 AM EDT TUE SEP 28 2010

.SYNOPSIS...
A COLD FRONT WILL MOVE INTO EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA TODAY STALLING
ALONG OR JUST OFF THE COAST. THE FRONT WILL REMAIN STATIONARY
THROUGH THURSDAY WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF ONE OR MORE STRONG LOWS
TRACKING NORTHEAST ALONG IT. COOL HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD OVER
THE AREA FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY.

NWS has been talking about this for a few days, but low confidence forcast, which is why the tv mets are not talking about it yet. They will probably have to start mentioning it tonight on air.
0 likes   
Ginger-(eye),Dennis,Diana,Kate,Gloria,Charley-(eye),Allison,Arthur,Bertha,Fran,Josephine,Bonnie,Earl,Dennis-(twice),Floyd, Isabel-(eye),Charley,Ophelia-(eyewall),Ernesto,Barry,Hanna,Irene-(eye),Arthur-(eye), Florence, Dorian, and countless depressions, storms, and nor'easters.

WilmingtonSandbar
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#100 Postby WilmingtonSandbar » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:15 am

News14 Carolina has started talking about it this morning. They are also talking about getting another 8+ inches of rain ahead of the possible approaching storm. That could be almost 20 inches of rain in less than a week before a TC of some sort (here in Wilmington we got 10.33 inches yesterday). Flooding and downed trees could be quite a serious situation.
0 likes   
Diana X2 (look it up), Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Floyd, Dennis, Charley, Ophelia, Ernesto, Irene, Matthew, And Florence

Return to “2010”