ATL: RICHARD - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: ATL : RICHARD - Models

#301 Postby Ivanhater » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Vortex wrote:
Ivanhater wrote:That is the run from last night. I was wondering how Vortex got it so fast :wink:

lol..just trying to keep up with you-ha

Well the upper air pattern is very similar this run compared to last night and as wxman said, it is not likely to dissipate that quickly.
0 likes   
Michael

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#302 Postby Ivanhater » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Higher resolution Euro out.

Looks like it brings the remnants into SE Louisiana/Mississippi area

0 likes   
Michael

Vortex
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#303 Postby Vortex » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:36 pm

once we start to get some definitive motion we'll have a much better "feel" for which camp has more validity...Also, we should see the convective bursting currently taking place near/over center become more concentrated and expand this evening...
0 likes   

Vortex
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#304 Postby Vortex » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:45 pm

I really don't have any particular model of choice at this point...I do think as the intensity/motion become better defined later this evening we'll be able to zero in on the models with more validity.
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#305 Postby fci » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:53 pm

SouthDadeFish wrote:I guess a ridge was in place since July except when Nicole and Paula passed by.

Nicole died when she hit the Florida Straits and Paula deflected off of the Florida Straits. Neither "passed by".
Not Florida at least.
0 likes   

SouthDadeFish
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#306 Postby SouthDadeFish » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Yes neither "passed by" because a trough ripped them up. I guess if you would like to be technical I should have used the word approach. My point was both ridges and troughs have shielded Florida this year.
0 likes   

sunnyday
Category 5
Category 5

#307 Postby sunnyday » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:00 pm

What happened to the idea that no storm could enter the Gulf of Mexico because of winds or a ridge? Now, it's going into the Gulf. Who knows what to believe? I'll stick with the fat lady who has been very reliable this season as far as no hits on Fl. 8-)
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#308 Postby Ntxw » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:09 pm

sunnyday wrote:What happened to the idea that no storm could enter the Gulf of Mexico because of winds or a ridge? Now, it's going into the Gulf. Who knows what to believe? I'll stick with the fat lady who has been very reliable this season as far as no hits on Fl. 8-)

I think what people meant was a major system. Storms do go into the gulf but usually by then it's just tropical moisture being ripped apart riding along troughs and nothing like exceptions such as Kate. If it makes it up there it will likely be on the verge of weakening rapidly vs a hit to S Florida etc where it can be stronger compared to a northern gulf hit.
Last edited by Ntxw on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Typhoon_Willie
Category 5
Category 5

#309 Postby Typhoon_Willie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Well sunnyday when new data comes in the models will change their results. The key is to notice the trends of these models. What trend in so far as a possible direction Richard will go in.
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#310 Postby Ivanhater » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:12 pm

0 likes   
Michael

sunnyday
Category 5
Category 5

#311 Postby sunnyday » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Thank you for the explanations.
0 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#312 Postby Evil Jeremy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Judging by the latest models and overall trends, I think the NHC will move the cone a little west through day four, but show a sharper curve to the north on days four and five.
0 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

Typhoon_Willie
Category 5
Category 5

#313 Postby Typhoon_Willie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:26 pm

Hey Ivanhater the tvcn goes a little crazy in the gulf eh? :double:
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#314 Postby FireRat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:30 pm

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

October 23 will be a crucial date determining the future path of Richard. On that day we will know which road he will take. This will be mostly dependent on his intensity. A stronger Richard is to be feared because he'll probably accelerate due to more sensitivity to the steering currents and may be heading for the Yucatan Channel or extreme western Cuba on the 24th....faster than thought.

A weaker Richard, that is, Category 1 and below will go more west-north west towards the Yucatan Peninsula to land as a slow-moving hurricane on October 25. Then the Yucatan itself might weaken the storm drastically.
Bottom Line in my opinion, it's pure speculation on the exact track and strength Richard will have by early next week until whatever he does on Saturday the 23rd!
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

caneseddy
Category 5
Category 5

#315 Postby caneseddy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:41 pm

18z NAM is still sticking with the southern set of models

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... loop.shtml
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#316 Postby KWT » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Yeah quite a few models still convinced it goes into CA, I suspect the Yucatan idea is the right idea right now as most models IMO just don't come even close enough to the probable strength of this one...exactly the same thing which screwed up early Paula forecasts whilst the hurricane models clocked on much faster to the true motion.

It'd be somewhat rare for a system to get into the W.Gulf at this time of year as well wouldn't it?!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Weatherfreak000

#317 Postby Weatherfreak000 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Typhoon_Willie wrote:Hey Ivanhater the tvcn goes a little crazy in the gulf eh? :double:

With the higher than average uncertainty that is to be expected I would say...I believe I even last night made the claim to discount the TVCN altogether until we get some consistency.

GFS vs GFDL eh? What a battle this time around...I like how the EURO is that sneaky outlier in the middle with the potentially most reasonable track towards the Panhandle. I have seen nothing so far that suggests this is going to sneak past that ridge. The only reason the GFS didn't see Richard interacting with the ridge was because it fell apart by then.

No reason to believe left biased outliers, reason to be weary of the right biased. Gotta like the consensus models and EURO towards the NE tip of the Yucatan.
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#318 Postby Blown Away » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Weatherfreak000 wrote:
Typhoon_Willie wrote:Hey Ivanhater the tvcn goes a little crazy in the gulf eh? :double:

With the higher than average uncertainty that is to be expected I would say...I believe I even last night made the claim to discount the TVCN altogether until we get some consistency.

GFS vs GFDL eh? What a battle this time around...I like how the EURO is that sneaky outlier in the middle with the potentially most reasonable track towards the Panhandle. I have seen nothing so far that suggests this is going to sneak past that ridge. The only reason the GFS didn't see Richard interacting with the ridge was because it fell apart by then.

No reason to believe left biased outliers, reason to be weary of the right biased. Gotta like the consensus models and EURO towards the NE tip of the Yucatan.

IMO 18z models suggest death over CA/Yucatan. IMO anything that moves towards the NGOM will be a sheared mess at best or remnant low. IMO the only way Richard impacts the CONUS as a cane is if he gets out in front of the trough and it is swept NE somewhere over the Florida peninsula.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#319 Postby Ivanhater » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Blow Away, if this reaches major hurricane status before hitting the Northern Yucatan as the model consensus suggest right now, a weak hurricane cannot be ruled out for the Florida Panhandle. The front will not make it to the panhandle until next weekend it looks, as the ridge over the Florida peninsula looks to hold strong. Depending on how strong it gets over the Caribbean and the speed of movement, a weak hurricane cannot be ruled out for the Panhandle.

A sheared tropical storm is welcomed here, so I'm rooting for it :cheesy:
0 likes   
Michael

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#320 Postby Ivanhater » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:03 pm

18z GFS is even further south

0 likes   
Michael

Return to “2010”