ATL: Ex INVEST 92L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Models

#221 Postby SFLcane » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:01 am

12z plots from wrightweather...Recurves pretty quickly as the GFDL suggest.

0 likes   

Kory
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#222 Postby Kory » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:08 am

OuterBanker wrote:Interesting. The fim shows a nearly impossible landfall. Savannah. We all know how rare a N Fl S GA hit is. A Savannah hit even with a Cat 2 could be catastrophic. The continental shelf in that area reaches far from the shoreline, even a minimal sea rise can cause massive flooding. Fortunately, it rarely happens.

I have never heard of the FIM and its not a really reliable model used. Don't even worry about it hitting the US. There is going to be a huge trough digging all the way to Florida pushing a cold front off the East Coast. It will turn out to sea.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

'CaneFreak
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#223 Postby 'CaneFreak » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:18 am

Oh wow...you already have it figured out? I have studied the equations of motion and I don't even have it figured out yet...I am impressed...

Kory wrote:
OuterBanker wrote:Interesting. The fim shows a nearly impossible landfall. Savannah. We all know how rare a N Fl S GA hit is. A Savannah hit even with a Cat 2 could be catastrophic. The continental shelf in that area reaches far from the shoreline, even a minimal sea rise can cause massive flooding. Fortunately, it rarely happens.

I have never heard of the FIM and its not a really reliable model used. Don't even worry about it hitting the US. There is going to be a huge trough digging all the way to Florida pushing a cold front off the East Coast. It will turn out to sea.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

Kory
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#224 Postby Kory » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:22 am

'CaneFreak wrote:Oh wow...you already have it figured out? I have studied the equations of motion and I don't even have it figured out yet...I am impressed...

Kory wrote:

I know...I'm pretty smart. :wink:
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#225 Postby Blown Away » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:38 am

Kory wrote: I have never heard of the FIM and its not a really reliable model used. Don't even worry about it hitting the US. There is going to be a huge trough digging all the way to Florida pushing a cold front off the East Coast. It will turn out to sea.

Lol, you never heard about the FIM and conclude it's not reliable model? How does that work? Agree anytime I see a model show a landfall from Vero Beach to Savannah, likely there is uncertainty about the trough and ultimately it will be strong enough to recurve or hit NC or weak and HP will push the system west over SFL.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

#226 Postby xironman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:39 am

That is where I saw it as well, nice broad circulation. Should be no problem for that convection to the north to start to wrap around.
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#227 Postby Macrocane » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:40 am

I think the landfall in Georgia was yesterday 12z run. Today 0z run shows a weaker cyclone recurving out in the open Atlantic in agreeement with the other models. Also it's interesting to note that UKMET and Canadian dropped development but the ECMWF was finally onboard in the 0z run and we know we can trust more in the Euro than the other 2 :wink:
0 likes   

Kory
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#228 Postby Kory » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:47 am

Blown Away wrote:

Kory wrote: I have never heard of the FIM and its not a really reliable model used. Don't even worry about it hitting the US. There is going to be a huge trough digging all the way to Florida pushing a cold front off the East Coast. It will turn out to sea.

Lol, you never heard about the FIM and conclude it's not reliable model? How does that work? Agree anytime I see a model show a landfall from Vero Beach to Savannah, likely there is uncertainty about the trough and ultimately it will be strong enough to recurve or hit NC or weak and HP will push the system west over SFL.

Well it certainly doesn't hang with the big dogs like the: BAMs, HWRF, and GFDL.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#229 Postby NDG » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:51 am

0z ECMWF looks good to me, 92L could come very close to the US east coast.
0 likes   

TheBurn
Category 2
Category 2

#230 Postby TheBurn » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:54 am

13:15Z Natural Color and MPE

0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#231 Postby GCANE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:01 am

Kory wrote:Well it certainly doesn't hang with the big dogs like the: BAMs, HWRF, and GFDL.

I am wondering if that was a note of sarcasm especially in light of how well they have been doing this year.

Anyway, FIM is an experimental Global that has 3 unique features.

http://fim.noaa.gov/

I have been following it for a couple years now and IMHO it is comparable in skill to GFS and Euro.

It is rather conservative in genesis, nothing like CMC hype.

I particularly like some of its component features like the latent-heat forecast which have worked well in the past forecasting the development and strength of a TC.
0 likes   

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#232 Postby plasticup » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:16 am

BigA wrote:
Rgv20 wrote:And also the Global Models now unanimously agree on 92l taking a track NE of the Lesser Antilles and recurving it out to the open Atlantic.

I'm not sure about the unanimity of a fish. The FIM and Nogaps dont recurve it early and the CMC is too early to tell. Still, with it over 1500 miles east of land, plenty of time to see how models evolve.

Uh... those recurves aren't fish. Almost all of the recurving tracks push this over Bermuda.
0 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#233 Postby floridasun78 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:24 am

Aric Dunn wrote:pretty good LLC developing. convection starting to build over it. Chances should go up later if more convection builds

i notice that too their no storm over center it look like their se shear over 92l
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#234 Postby ConvergenceZone » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:27 am

I agree with everyone else about Invest 92L being a recurve. There's really nothing to stop it from recurving, BUT
this might signify the lid finally blowing off the tropics....There will probably be a high building in soon enough
to prevent the recruves as we move into September. (just my opinion).
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#235 Postby Blown Away » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 am

Blown Away Wrote: Lol, you never heard about the FIM and conclude it's not reliable model? How does that work? Agree anytime I see a model show a landfall from Vero Beach to Savannah, likely there is uncertainty about the trough and ultimately it will be strong enough to recurve or hit NC or weak and HP will push the system west over SFL.

Kory wrote:
Its funny how you always mention the possibility of a system hitting south Florida...I get the hint of some wishcasting possibly? Since you live there, it seems you always find a solution of a hurricane hitting South Florida even if the chances are very slim to none.
Recurve, NC, or SFL were my solutions for a model showing a landfall between Vero/Savannah? Those solutions pretty much cover any system that approaches the SE CONUS, so not sure how my statement is wishcasting! Love how you draw conclusions w/o any facts. Keep trolling! :lol:
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

SouthDadeFish
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#236 Postby SouthDadeFish » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:47 am

I'm very impressed with this wave. Conditions looks pretty favorable for development in my opinion. I can see this thing getting the red crayon pretty soon...
0 likes   

SouthDadeFish
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#237 Postby SouthDadeFish » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:56 am

Nice spin and moisture envelope. Appears to be getting slammed by some dry air to the west on the latest frames though:

0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#238 Postby Ivanhater » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:25 am

I don't like repeating myself over and over this season. If you can't keep a respectful conversation, then don't post at all. This is an overall warning, if I have to bring it to PM then suspensions will follow. Carry on....
0 likes   
Michael

hurricanedude
Military Member
Military Member

#239 Postby hurricanedude » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:36 am

well spoken Mike....u da man!!!! u rock!!! u my hero...LOL
anyway....nothing has even developed yet so no need to even think about where it will go...let it form first..then let the models ingest that data..then maybe a talk about where it will go may commence...
0 likes   

Kory
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#240 Postby Kory » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:47 am

SouthDadeFish wrote:I'm very impressed with this wave. Conditions looks pretty favorable for development in my opinion. I can see this thing getting the red crayon pretty soon...

While it is impressive, I don't know about it getting "the red crayon" yet. Nice outflow is developing and it has a decent spin, but the thunderstorm activity seems to be suppressed a bit. We shall see though...

0 likes   

Return to “2011”