ATL: INVEST 96L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 96L - Discussion

#121 Postby tailgater » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 pm

40% sounds about right. We all saw the weak rotation that is nearly stationary and the conditions are forecast to become somewhat better but as they are now 96L is deeping slowly so if they do get better as per the forecast why wouldn't it deepen a little more. He also said it could be SUB tropical.
the nearest Bouy
Last edited by tailgater on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#122 Postby psyclone » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:25 pm

i'm surprised they bumped this to 40% too. it's a hot mess despite the pressure falls. i don't think there's much difference for land dwellers between a vigorous disturbance and a depression or even a minimal storm. it's wet and it will remain so. what a difference a couple of weeks makes...we're waterlogged here and frogs are out hopping everywhere. the rainy season is making up for lost time.
0 likes   

HurricaneBrain
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby HurricaneBrain » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm going to trust the NHC professionals with their development chances.
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby Macrocane » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:28 pm

HurricaneBrain wrote:With all due respect Wxman, when pre-Arlene jumped to a 50% chance of developing you said the same exact thing about Stacey. Turns out Stacey was right as the next day it was already developing into a tropical depression.

Not saying this will be the same scenario, but I don't think the chances have anything to do with who is forecasting.

Totally agree, I personally don't think it will develop but I can see why the NHC jumped up to 40% and it's not because of the forecaster but for the reasons stated on the TWO.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#125 Postby psyclone » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:33 pm

HurricaneBrain wrote:I'm going to trust the NHC professionals with their development chances.

the professionals are still 3 to 2 in favor of no development on their most recent assessment. naturally since i'm close to and in the potential path of this (assuming it heads north or northeast) i'm paying attention but not the least bit concerned.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby MGC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Forecaster Stewart is a bit more enthusiastic than I am and I agree with 57 that 96L has gained little in organization today. However, any unexpected change in the ULL currenly holding back 96L could kick the door open to more robust development. Looks to me that the LLCC has been stationary most of the day.....MGC
0 likes   

HurricaneBrain
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#127 Postby HurricaneBrain » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:35 pm

psyclone wrote:
HurricaneBrain wrote:I'm going to trust the NHC professionals with their development chances.

the professionals are still 3 to 2 in favor of no development on their most recent assessment. naturally since i'm close to and in the potential path of this (assuming it heads north or northeast) i'm paying attention but not the least bit concerned.

I personally don't think this will develop, but like I said I'm going to trust the professionals because this very well could turn into something.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby NDG » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 pm

I think any models that brings 96L inland Saturday morning, like tonight's SHIPS model, are day dreaming when the system has barely moved in 12 hrs.
Tonight's a blend of BAMM & BAMS has my consideration, meaning landfall around midnight Saturday night, if not later.
The longer time it stays over water on Saturday the greater the chance of 96L becoming a TD or TS as the ULL moves away by then.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#129 Postby wxman57 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Pressures are down 1 to 1.5mb across the entire Gulf from Texas to Florida, but that doesn't mean the disturbance is better organized. Convection is just about all gone now, and winds are down in the eastern Gulf. It's hard to tell at night, but it looks like that weak LLC may have come apart in the last 2-3 hours.

Take a look for yourselves. First shot is from 10am, the one below that is current. No comparison whatsoever. It was better organized this morning by far. Surface obs confirm the weakening winds in the eastern Gulf. 30-40 kts of shear presently. Shear drops only to about 25-30 kts Saturday, still way high. I don't think there will be anything there to make any landfall on Saturday.

10am today

9:30pm this evening:
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby Rgv20 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:50 pm

In my opinion the NHC is just being cautious due to its proximity to land.

Anyway this mess in the Eastern Gulf is bringing some rain and promises to leave some more beneficial rains to the whole state of Florida :D
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#131 Postby psyclone » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:00 pm

it does look terrible right now. but there is a plume of welcome moisture pouring over florida. in the meantime we'll see if this can burst any new convection overnight. absent that, those 40% development probs could prove fleeting.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby Sanibel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Steady light warm wind here like something is developing. Clear patches with moon visible. Persistent naked spiral under ULL shear.
0 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#133 Postby tailgater » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:13 pm

WXman 57 said "Pressures are down 1 to 1.5mb across the entire Gulf from Texas to Florida, but that doesn't mean the disturbance is better organized. Convection is just about all gone now, and winds are down in the eastern Gulf."
Yeah I certain can't argue that.
Here's a pretty good night time look at the lower clouds.

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis ... _floater_2
0 likes   

dolebot_Broward_NW
Category 2
Category 2

#134 Postby dolebot_Broward_NW » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:35 pm

I'm hoping the sun can break through for a few hours to heat the ground and throw up some serious storms to add to the mix. It's crazy pwats!
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby ROCK » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Nothing to look at here attm....the LLC or whats left of it looks to have spun apart thanks to the ULL...I never thought this had a chance with the minimal model support.
0 likes   

psdstu
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re:

#136 Postby psdstu » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:51 pm

yzerfan wrote:C'mon panhandle path! We so need a good soaking storm right now.

Ain't that the truth!!!

I hope it doesn't send all the rain to the East of us........... sigh........
0 likes   

LaBreeze
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby LaBreeze » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:58 pm

ROCK wrote:Nothing to look at here attm....the LLC or whats left of it looks to have spun apart thanks to the ULL...I never thought this had a chance with the minimal model support.

This is sort of what I was thinking ~ that the LLC would be adversely affected by the ULL. Do LLC follow the lead of ULL's in their movement or is there no pattern to this whatsoever? Glad that Florida is getting some much needed rain.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby ROCK » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:12 am

LaBreeze wrote:
ROCK wrote:Nothing to look at here attm....the LLC or whats left of it looks to have spun apart thanks to the ULL...I never thought this had a chance with the minimal model support.

This is sort of what I was thinking ~ that the LLC would be adversely affected by the ULL. Do LLC follow the lead of ULL's in their movement or is there no pattern to this whatsoever? Glad that Florida is getting some much needed rain.

I have seen many a case where we would get a LLC to form in the wake of a ULL. typically the ULL like this one would adversely affect any developement unless it moves away enough to help vent...all its doing now is shearing it apart...that is one strong ULL....I know,, I just got in from NYC and flew through a bunch of rain and a very high cloud deck ceiling. It was a bumpy ride.... :D
0 likes   

LaBreeze
Category 5
Category 5

#139 Postby LaBreeze » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:38 am

ROCK wrote:
LaBreeze wrote:

I have seen many a case where we would get a LLC to form in the wake of a ULL. typically the ULL like this one would adversely affect any developement unless it moves away enough to help vent...all its doing now is shearing it apart...that is one strong ULL....I know,, I just got in from NYC and flew through a bunch of rain and a very high cloud deck ceiling. It was a bumpy ride.... :D

Good to have the rain ~ huh, Rock, even though it was a bumpy ride home.
0 likes   

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#140 Postby Extratropical94 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:19 am

1. SHOWER ACTIVITY ASSOCIATED WITH AN ELONGATED AREA OF LOW PRESSURE
EXTENDING FROM NEAR THE YUCATAN PENINSULA TO THE WEST COAST OF
FLORIDA HAS DECREASED DURING THE LAST SEVERAL HOURS. IN ADDITION...
UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BE ONLY MARGINALLY CONDUCIVE FOR
FURTHER DEVELOPMENT. THERE IS A MEDIUM CHANCE...30 PERCENT...OF
THIS SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL OR SUBTROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE
NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES NORTHWARD OR NORTH-NORTHEASTWARD.
REGARDLESS OF DEVELOPMENT...THIS WEATHER SYSTEM COULD STILL PRODUCE
PERIODS OF LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE FLORIDA
PENINSULA AND THE EASTERN FLORIDA PANHANDLE DURING THE NEXT COUPLE
OF DAYS.
0 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

Return to “2011”