ATL: MICHAEL - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MICHAEL - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#221 Postby Macrocane » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:57 pm

Michael, you'll always be remembered as an example of strong cyclones developing from naked swirls and no model support. You were a nice cyclone and the best of all, a fish storm. See you on 2018.
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#222 Postby hurricanes1234 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:14 pm

As I said, if you were to pick the odd storms out, Michael would definitely be alienated, simply because he was one of about four storms this year to intensify like that.

Look at all the storms so far on a whole. Let's look at Ernesto, Isaac, Joyce and Leslie for example. Notice how they all share something in common - for most of their lives they were just too large and/or disorganized to achieve anything above 85 mph. Michael was NOT like that in any way - even after weakening to 100 mph, he STILL fought his best to restrengthen - and made it back up to 105 mph, and then tried to maintain 100+ mph winds after that - that's something that the four storms above, most noticeably, Leslie, could not do; they just couldn't do it for some reason. Kirk, Gordon and Chris were also like Michael, it's just that Michael was the most impressive of all. Michael will always be remembered, because he gave our ACE a good boost, and he was a genuine overachiever. :)
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#223 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:00 pm

HurricaneRyan wrote:Well, Michael has been such a awesome storm this season! I love it! Weakening, but still a great hurricane to watch.

I have a feeling though, that in a later season, Michael will rear his full force on a US state or somewhere else.

That's.... eerie.....
2 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Re:

#224 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:06 pm

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:
HurricaneRyan wrote:Well, Michael has been such a awesome storm this season! I love it! Weakening, but still a great hurricane to watch.

I have a feeling though, that in a later season, Michael will rear his full force on a US state or somewhere else.

That's.... eerie.....

oh wow. Talk about crazy! I actually said Michael would be one of the big ones this year it the thread for it along with Helene. Was 1 out of 2 for the first time.
2 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#225 Postby DioBrando » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:32 pm

Macrocane wrote:Michael, you'll always be remembered as an example of strong cyclones developing from naked swirls and no model support. You were a nice cyclone and the best of all, a fish storm. See you on 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Michael
Hurricane Michael was a powerful and destructive tropical cyclone that became the first Category 5 hurricane to make landfall in the contiguous United States since Andrew in 1992. It was the third-most intense Atlantic hurricane to make landfall in the contiguous United States in terms of pressure, behind the 1935 Labor Day hurricane and Hurricane Camille in 1969. Michael was the first Category 5 hurricane on record to impact the Florida Panhandle, the fourth-strongest landfalling hurricane in the contiguous United States, in terms of wind speed, and the most intense hurricane on record to strike the United States in the month of October.

Oof
2 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

DioBrando
Category 4
Category 4

#226 Postby DioBrando » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:36 pm

hurricanes1234 wrote:Let's look at Ernesto, Isaac, Joyce and Leslie for example. Notice how they all share something in common - for most of their lives they were just too large and/or disorganized to achieve anything above 85 mph

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Ernesto_(2012)

Hurricane Ernesto was a Category 2 hurricane and a damaging tropical cyclone that affected several Caribbean Islands and areas of Central America during August 2012.

Category 2 hurricane
1-minute sustained (SSHWS/NWS)
Highest winds 100 mph (155 km/h)
Lowest pressure 973 mbar (hPa); 28.73 inHg
0 likes   
blonde stacey (xe/xem/xir)

Return to “2012”