ATL: HELENE - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: SEVEN - Models

#1061 Postby ROCK » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:24 am

GFDL does nothing really with it....the HWRF moves it inland then back out and hugs the coast up towards upper TX coast...
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: SEVEN - Remnants

#1062 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:44 am

Live loop, speed it up for full effect.

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/ge ... mframes=15

Circulation, if that's what I'm seeing, looks extremely close to the coast.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#1063 Postby Houstonia » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:48 am

Jeff Lindner update:

Visible satellite images and radar data from Mexico indicate the area of disturbed weather in the Bay of Campeche is becoming better organized and a tropical depression is likely forming.

The system is moving toward the WNW at around 10mph and on this track will move inland later today or early tonight. However the ridge to its north and northeast is forecast to weaken and break down on the western edge allowing the system to slow and possibly stall as it nears the coast…this has been what the global forecast models have been showing for days now. The main question is does the center stall offshore or inland. Over the weekend the system should start to drift northward as it becomes influenced by the deep trough along the US east coast and it is possible that the center could move inland tonight and then back offshore over the weekend.

Recon aircraft will be flying this system early this afternoon.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#1064 Postby ROCK » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:49 am

I agree with Jeff...the GFS has been showing this slightly inland then back out offshore for days now. really close call.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#1065 Postby KWT » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:50 am

Given how close it is to land it should get inland before it gets the chance to be upgraded, may even be inland by 18-21Z judging by its current progress, which only gives it 3-6hrs or so over water. It seems to be closer to the coast than the models were expecting, which probably in turn reduces the chances of it getting back over water down the line.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1066 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:52 am

notice the flow over middle texas switching to ssw flow. this system should very soon start to turn more to NNW motion today especially as it gets better organized. the models themselves are showing it getting quite close to brownsville before it comes ashore now.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Pearl River
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1067 Postby Pearl River » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:52 am

Repost from a couple of pages back of what NOLA said in their AFD this morning:

THE GFS HAS RETURNED TO HAVING A STRONGER TROPICAL LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEM DRIFTING NORTH ALONG THE NORTHEAST MEXICAN COAST
EARLY NEXT WEEK...BUT NEITHER THE OPERATIONAL GFS OR ECMWF BRING
THE SYSTEM AS FAR NORTH AS TEXAS. SEVERAL OF THE GFS ENSEMBLES DO
BRING THE LOW NORTH OR NORTHEAST TOWARDS TEXAS AND LOUISIANA...SO
WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE TO MONITOR THIS SYSTEM.

0 likes   

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#1068 Postby Extratropical94 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:53 am

KWT wrote:Given how close it is to land it should get inland before it gets the chance to be upgraded, may even be inland by 18-21Z judging by its current progress, which only gives it 3-6hrs or so over water. It seems to be closer to the coast than the models were expecting, which probably in turn reduces the chances of it getting back over water down the line.

Well I guess the last chance to be upgraded is at 5PM EDT then, depending on how much data the recon aircraft will have gathered until that time.
0 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#1069 Postby ROCK » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:54 am

Extratropical94 wrote:
KWT wrote:Given how close it is to land it should get inland before it gets the chance to be upgraded, may even be inland by 18-21Z judging by its current progress, which only gives it 3-6hrs or so over water. It seems to be closer to the coast than the models were expecting, which probably in turn reduces the chances of it getting back over water down the line.

Well I guess the last chance to be upgraded is at 5PM EDT then, depending on how much data the recon aircraft will have gathered until that time.

will they upgrade to TD7 again or will it be named a different TD? thats something I have been thinking about if it does get upgraded.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#1070 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:55 am

ROCK wrote:
Extratropical94 wrote:

will they upgrade to TD7 again or will it be named a different TD? thats something I have been thinking about if it does get upgraded.

Probably TD7 again I would think, or Helene if they find a storm (under the heading 07L.Helene).
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1071 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:00 am

Well although my post a min ago made a good argument... it was however based off the center being a bit farther off the coast. just a did a brief analysis and the center seems to have developed very close to the coast... so the likely hood of any strengthening is low. however it should begin to move more nnw and could easily reform farther off shore if deep convection develops.

0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#1072 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:01 am

Just how interesting is this going to get? I don't like the scenario possibilities, but I hope we Texans end up getting the rains needed without any flooding problems here or in Mexico. This is the latest from Jeff Lindner:
Visible satellite images and radar data from Mexico indicate the area of disturbed weather in the Bay of Campeche is becoming better organized and a tropical depression is likely forming.

The system is moving toward the WNW at around 10mph and on this track will move inland later today or early tonight. However the ridge to its north and northeast is forecast to weaken and break down on the western edge allowing the system to slow and possibly stall as it nears the coast…this has been what the global forecast models have been showing for days now. The main question is does the center stall offshore or inland. Over the weekend the system should start to drift northward as it becomes influenced by the deep trough along the US east coast and it is possible that the center could move inland tonight and then back offshore over the weekend.

Recon aircraft will be flying this system early this afternoon.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

#1073 Postby Nikki » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:04 am

SPECIAL OUTLOOK ISSUED TO UPDATE DISCUSSION OF REMNANTS OF TROPICAL
DEPRESSION SEVEN IN THE EXTREME SOUTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO.

THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER IS ISSUING ADVISORIES ON TROPICAL
STORM GORDON...LOCATED OVER THE CENTRAL ATLANTIC OCEAN ABOUT 1100
MILES WEST OF THE AZORES.
SPECIAL TWO:

1. UPDATED...THE REMNANTS OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION SEVEN OVER THE
SOUTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO HAVE NOT YET BECOME SUFFICIENTLY
ORGANIZED TO CONSIDER THE SYSTEM A TROPICAL CYCLONE. HOWEVER...
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE SYSTEM ARE ALREADY
AFFECTING PORTIONS OF THE EAST COAST OF MEXICO...AND LOCALLY HEAVY
RAINS AND GUSTY WINDS WILL CONTINUE IN THIS AREA DURING THE NEXT
DAY OR SO AS THE SYSTEM MOVES NORTHWESTWARD AT AROUND 10 MPH.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS STILL APPEAR CONDUCIVE FOR FORMATION...AND
THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH CHANCE...80 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL
CYCLONE AT ANY TIME IN THE NEXT DAY OR SO BEFORE IT REACHES LAND.
AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT IS SCHEDULED TO
INVESTIGATE THIS SYSTEM THIS AFTERNOON...AND A TROPICAL STORM WATCH
OR WARNING WOULD LIKELY BE REQUIRED FOR A PORTION OF THE COAST OF
MEXICO IF ADVISORIES ARE INITIATED.
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#1074 Postby Ptarmigan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 am

I am not surprised that Tropical Depression #7 could reform again. NHC said it would not reform again. I would not be surprised if this ends up being Helene.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#1075 Postby KWT » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:15 am

I think Aric thats the best chance, reformation, this center will almost certainly get inland before it really gains any major northward component but thats not to stop it from reforming further east again as the old center decsays towards convection.

I would expect though that if recon are there in time to get a decent pass through, its got a very good chance of being re-upgraded.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1076 Postby Portastorm » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:17 am

Ptarmigan wrote:I am not surprised that Tropical Depression #7 could reform again. NHC said it would not reform again. I would not be surprised if this ends up being Helene.

To clarify, I don't think the NHC said TD #7 would never reform again period. That just said it wouldn't reform within the given time frame parameters of their statements (i.e. the system is not expected to reform within the next 48 hours, etc.). In fact, over the last 24 hours the NHC has progressively upped the percentages of this system forming into a tropical cyclone.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1077 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:22 am

Could well stay very near the coast (sometimes inland, sometimes offshore) alternating between TD/TS for the next 4-5 days as it drifts slowly northward. Final landfall likely south of Brownsville around next Tue-Wed. Could mean some heavy rain for south TX from Sunday through next Thursday.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1078 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:23 am

Portastorm wrote:
Ptarmigan wrote:I am not surprised that Tropical Depression #7 could reform again. NHC said it would not reform again. I would not be surprised if this ends up being Helene.

To clarify, I don't think the NHC said TD #7 would never reform again period. That just said it wouldn't reform within the given time frame parameters of their statements (i.e. the system is not expected to reform within the next 48 hours, etc.). In fact, over the last 24 hours the NHC has progressively upped the percentages of this system forming into a tropical cyclone.

Remember, the chances of development mentioned in the NHC outlooks are ONLY for the next 48 hrs. What you don't see is that they are internally predicting development chances out to 5 days. I heard earlier this week that the internal thinking was 70% chance of redevelopment in the BoC around days 4-5.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1079 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:27 am

wxman57 wrote:Could well stay very near the coast (sometimes inland, sometimes offshore) alternating between TD/TS for the next 4-5 days as it drifts slowly northward. Final landfall likely south of Brownsville around next Tue-Wed. Could mean some heavy rain for south TX from Sunday through next Thursday.

I agree with you 99%, to add one thing is that I think is that because of the trough's orientation it could throw in the moisture all the way to SE LA.
0 likes   

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#1080 Postby Houstonia » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:27 am

wxman57 wrote:Remember, the chances of development mentioned in the NHC outlooks are ONLY for the next 48 hrs. What you don't see is that they are internally predicting development chances out to 5 days. I heard earlier this week that the internal thinking was 70% chance of redevelopment in the BoC around days 4-5.

this kind of goes in line with what Jeff Lindner says:

Forecast models have come into slightly better agreement on trying to close off some sort of surface low out of a coastal trough along the eastern MX coast late this weekend into early next week. Not sure if they are picking up on the current system, or a trough that will be left behind near the coast. 00Z CMC has come in fairly aggressive showing development off of Brownsville, while the GFS lingers a broad trough/weak surface low along the NE MX coastline for days. Think the current system will move inland, but leave unsettled weather over the western Gulf well into next week and we will have to continue to monitor for any possible development.

Just not sure if it's a continuation of TD7 or not!
0 likes   

Return to “2012”