ATL: HELENE - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: SEVEN - Remnants

#1081 Postby lrak » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:34 am

wxman57 wrote:Could well stay very near the coast (sometimes inland, sometimes offshore) alternating between TD/TS for the next 4-5 days as it drifts slowly northward. Final landfall likely south of Brownsville around next Tue-Wed. Could mean some heavy rain for south TX from Sunday through next Thursday.

:D :D :D Great news for South Texas!
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1082 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:51 am

You could finally get some decent rain out of this, combined with that weak/dissipating frontal boundary/trof along the coast.

I just wish SOMEONE could explain to me why recon is always scheduled to arrive on the first invest of a system just about the time the afternoon advisory is issued (3pm CDT). Wouldn't it make more sense to have the plane complete its investigation before the advisory process begins around noon to 1pm CDT? Why isn't the plane already in there?
0 likes   

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#1083 Postby jabman98 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:03 am

So is it the remnants of 7 that are what would be responsible for the rain we're being forecast to get in Houston over the next several days?
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1084 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:04 am

wxman57 wrote:You could finally get some decent rain out of this, combined with that weak/dissipating frontal boundary/trof along the coast.

I just wish SOMEONE could explain to me why recon is always scheduled to arrive on the first invest of a system just about the time the afternoon advisory is issued (3pm CDT). Wouldn't it make more sense to have the plane complete its investigation before the advisory process begins around noon to 1pm CDT? Why isn't the plane already in there?

I have always wondered why they are so late sometimes. like they dont want to actually issues advisories being that its already near the coast.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1085 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:07 am

jabman98 wrote:So is it the remnants of 7 that are what would be responsible for the rain we're being forecast to get in Houston over the next several days?

More to do with a frontal boundary stalling along the NW gulf coast over the next few days.
0 likes   

Zanthe
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1086 Postby Zanthe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:29 am

Up to 80%, if no one saw.
0 likes   
I'm no expert, everything I say should be taken with a large amount of salt. I could easily be very, very wrong.
~Zanthe Go Coyotes~

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#1087 Postby ROCK » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:30 am

12Z GFS sending these left overs into SW LA now....
0 likes   

Clint_TX
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1088 Postby Clint_TX » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:31 am

0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#1089 Postby KWT » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:34 am

Very close to the coast now, convective blow-up on the coast, hope recon can get in there, needs to move NNW right now if its to keep offshore...
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1090 Postby Rgv20 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:49 am

Took a quick look at the 12zGFS and it looks like whatever becomes of Ex-Td7 makes landfall just north of Tampico and a piece of Energy/Vorticity shoots NE toward LA.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1091 Postby Portastorm » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Guess it's down to wobble watching now but seems to me like the circulation center has slowed to a crawl and is moving northwest, almost north-northwest.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1092 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Full 30 frame live loop: http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/ge ... mframes=30

Looks like the center is right on the coast.

2 saved Mexican radar loops

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#1093 Postby KWT » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Does look like its moving more to the NW right now, whether or not that'll be enough to keep it offshore I'm not sure. Going to a tricky one to watch thats for sure, a coastal crawler!!
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1094 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Latest visible

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

Re:

#1095 Postby Nikki » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:08 pm

KWT wrote:Does look like its moving more to the NW right now, whether or not that'll be enough to keep it offshore I'm not sure. Going to a tricky one to watch thats for sure, a coastal crawler!!

I just hope all coastal residents are watching this one!
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#1096 Postby NDG » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:09 pm

KWT wrote:Does look like its moving more to the NW right now, whether or not that'll be enough to keep it offshore I'm not sure. Going to a tricky one to watch thats for sure, a coastal crawler!!

Yeap, I agree, it seems to be now moving more parallel to the coast, crawling at best.
0 likes   

wxwatcher1999
Category 1
Category 1

#1097 Postby wxwatcher1999 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Is possible for this thing to travel parallel all the way up the Texas coast?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#1098 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 pm

This is going to be interesting to watch. The center is definitely just on the coast and CRAWLING. The questions I see right now are is it going to crawl West and dissapate or crawl West and the center start to dissapate and then reform further East under what appears to be increasing convection??? Lots of questions and not a lot of answers yet and definitely open to a LOT of speculation with the current pattern developing over the W GOM and Texas. This definitely puts Mexico under the gun for major flooding rains under almost any scenario that develops. I hope they don't have horrendous flash floods.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#1099 Postby KWT » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Nikki wrote:

Yep, really won't take much of a shift in track to take this back over the gulf and with very good conditions aloft, it'd only probably take 12-18hrs for it to spin into a TS from this point.
0 likes   

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

Re: Re:

#1100 Postby Nikki » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:19 pm

KWT wrote:
Nikki wrote:

Yep, really won't take much of a shift in track to take this back over the gulf and with very good conditions aloft, it'd only probably take 12-18hrs for it to spin into a TS from this point.

I am in the Galveston area and I know a hit here isn't as likely as it is elsewhere along the Texas coast, but still I will watch it...this is a crazy lil storm to say the least!
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

Return to “2012”