ATL: ARTHUR - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#121 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:00 pm

USTropics wrote:
SeGaBob wrote:What I don't get is why NHC would cancel the mission but up the chances for development like they did.

I think their reasoning for this is the proximity of a nearby buoy that will be able to determine surface observations, coupled with the slow progression of steering currents and the cost factor involved in flying a mission. I would have preferred to see recon, but I can see the counter argument as well.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see more Recon flights cancelled in the future with them cutting funds slightly. :roll:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

SeGaBob

#122 Postby SeGaBob » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:02 pm

:uarrow: UsTropics That makes sense to me...I would have preferred recon as well.
0 likes   

summersquall
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#123 Postby summersquall » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Image.
Hopefully this is as close as 91L gets. May be a stormy week on the Treasure Coast?
0 likes   
My posts should NEVER, EVER, EVER be construed as an official forecast as I know virtually nada respecting the finer points of meteorology. Consequently, my posts are obviously NOT endorsed by any professional institution or the good folks at storm2k.org. For official information please refer to the weather gurus at the NHC and NWS.

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#124 Postby MGC » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:13 pm

91L is looking good this afternoon. Just needs a bit more organized convection near the center. Agree with NHC on recon cancel. It is quite evident by sat loop that 91L has a well defined low level circulation. IMO it will likely be designated a TD tomorrow as the system slowly organizes......MGC

The above it the opinion of MGC and not an official forecast.
0 likes   

SeGaBob

#125 Postby SeGaBob » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:15 pm

So overall are the chances of 91L affecting land (other than NC) going down or is there still time for that to change?
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby NDG » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:17 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
USTropics wrote:
SeGaBob wrote:What I don't get is why NHC would cancel the mission but up the chances for development like they did.

I think their reasoning for this is the proximity of a nearby buoy that will be able to determine surface observations, coupled with the slow progression of steering currents and the cost factor involved in flying a mission. I would have preferred to see recon, but I can see the counter argument as well.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see more Recon flights cancelled in the future with them cutting funds slightly. :roll:

But can somebody explain to me why the Recon was sent to 90L in the BOC right when it was clearly making landfall near Veracruz MX?
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby Nimbus » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:29 pm

I noticed a slight north south elongation in the low clouds, that is usually a sign that rapid intensification is not imminent. You can also see it in the ASCAT. Maybe this afternoon at the diurnal max there will be a major convective burst that centers the low level circulation.

East coast of Florida could get lucky if it stayed elongated.
0 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#128 Postby Evil Jeremy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:30 pm

Convection flaring up now throughout 91L, including a very nasty line along most of Florida's east coast.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floater ... imated.gif
0 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#129 Postby USTropics » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:35 pm

NDG wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
USTropics wrote:

But can somebody explain to me why the Recon was sent to 90L in the BOC right when it was clearly making landfall near Veracruz MX?

That's a great question. The only thing I can think of is the Mexican government asked if they would check it out or the NHC felt obligated because of its proximity to land. Another 12-24 hours over water and I think a minimal TS would have been designated. Did they end up completing that mission or did the NHC call back the recon plane before it was able to investigate the area?
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby NDG » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:39 pm

On hd visible satellite I can clearly see a tight LLC that has formed, now it is somewhat naked, near 29.5N & 77.3 W
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#131 Postby tolakram » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:39 pm

NDG wrote:But can somebody explain to me why the Recon was sent to 90L in the BOC right when it was clearly making landfall near Veracruz MX?

The model that develops this the most, the Euro, says nothing much will happen until 48 - 72 hours from now. If anything happens.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

HurricaneTracker2031
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#132 Postby HurricaneTracker2031 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Hmm. 91L is getting its act together. A nice burst under llc can be seen.

My analysis for 91L and other areas in Western Pacific: http://goo.gl/4Aga6X
0 likes   
SHORT VERSION OF DISCLAIMER: THIS SITE LINK BELOW IS NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECASTING OFFICE AND SHOULD NOT BE USED TO MAKE ANY EMERGENCY DECISIONS....

http://www.macstropicalweather.weebly.com

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#133 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Nimbus wrote:I noticed a slight north south elongation in the low clouds, that is usually a sign that rapid intensification is not imminent. You can also see it in the ASCAT. Maybe this afternoon at the diurnal max there will be a major convective burst that centers the low level circulation.

East coast of Florida could get lucky if it stayed elongated.

The way it looks shear needs to still drop until it can actually try to get it's act together.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#134 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:53 pm

NDG wrote:Meanwhile people along the eastern coast of FL have been enjoying a beautiful day along the beaches with surf temps in the mid 80s in most part of central and northern FL, which is very rare for the end of June which most times cold upwelling takes over from Vero Beach northward towards St Augustine this time of the year with SSTs along the immediate coast falling down into the low to mid 70s, something about this year in this part of the Atlantic.

Was the case until about 1pm this afternoon when Showers & T-Stms started popping up inland of NE Coastal Palm Beach County. These photos are from Juno Beach, FL.

Last edited by TheStormExpert on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#135 Postby KatDaddy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:54 pm

The 2014 Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season will likely have its first TD early this upcoming week and possibly TS Arthur toward the end of the week as the area of low pressure off the SE US is becoming better organized:

Satellite wind data and surface observations indicate that the low
pressure system located about 230 miles east of St. Augustine,
Florida, is gradually becoming better defined as it moves slowly
southward to southwestward. Although upper-level winds are only
marginally favorable, a tropical depression is expected to form
during the next day or two. However, the system's proximity to dry
air could inhibit significant development until environmental
conditions become more conducive by late Tuesday while the low
meanders offshore of the Florida east coast. The Air Force Reserve
reconnaissance aircraft that was scheduled to investigate the
disturbance this afternoon has been canceled, and the flight has
been rescheduled for Monday morning, if necessary.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...60 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#136 Postby Nimbus » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:12 pm

NDG wrote:On hd visible satellite I can clearly see a tight LLC that has formed, now it is somewhat naked, near 29.5N & 77.3 W

Nearly naked as it was this morning. The dry shear is blowing the convection south, the actual surface feature is up near 29.7 not moving much.

This would have been classified a depression if the hurricane hunters had flown, better to wait and see if it picks up convection over night.
0 likes   

hurricanefloyd5
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby hurricanefloyd5 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:16 pm

Any surface observations like bouys or ship reports?
0 likes   

jaxfladude
Category 5
Category 5

#138 Postby jaxfladude » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:21 pm

From what little I have read/heard/seen here and elsewhere, 91L can still have some impact on my area of N.E. Fla. T.D./Weak T.S. during the July 4th week >>>>if anything<<<< ......right or not?

=============
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
=============
0 likes   
Stay safe y'all

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#139 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:27 pm

jaxfladude wrote:From what little I have read/heard/seen here and elsewhere, 91L can still have some impact on my area of N.E. Fla. T.D./Weak T.S. during the July 4th week >>>>if anything<<<< ......right or not?

=============
=============

We have to monitor the system carefully. It is possble TD / TS conditions could impact Jax area mainly Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. It is also possible 91L could miss this area as well. Just have to monitor closely as things can change and they often do with these tropical cyclones.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#140 Postby gatorcane » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:44 pm

I wonder if we will see any center reformations further south as the northerly shear is still pushing the convection south?
0 likes   

Return to “2014”