ATL: Ex-INVEST 94L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

#81 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:18 pm

somethingfunny wrote: With that said.... I wouldn't at all be surprised to see 94L turn into something near the Yucatan region. It's just got a very long way to go first.

The way things are trending with the models, this invest may not end up anywhere near the Yucatan even if it stays weak on it's journey across the Atlantic.

The NHC's 5-day track also shows the WNW bend at the end:

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#82 Postby Gustywind » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:19 pm

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
205 PM EDT MON AUG 11 2014

TROPICAL WAVE EXTENDS FROM A 1012 MB LOW CENTERED NEAR 12N26W TO
20N29W MOVING W AT 15-20 KT. THE WAVE IS EMBEDDED WITHIN BROAD
700 MB TROUGHING BETWEEN 21W-37W WITH 850 MB RELATIVE VORTICITY
FOCUSED IN THE VICINITY OF THE SURFACE LOW. THE SURFACE LOW
REMAINS SOUTH OF AN AFRICAN EASTERLY JET WITH MAXIMUM WINDS
NOTED IN GLOBAL MODEL DATA NEAR 16N28W. ISOLATED MODERATE
CONVECTION IS FROM 12N-15N BETWEEN 25W-30W.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#83 Postby chaser1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:15 pm

Hmmmm, 5 day outlook now down to 20% Didn't anyone tell the Atlantic that it's August 11, LOL?

All factors considered, I would tend to agree with Wxman that a combination of low level convergence and more favorable upper level winds might make 94L a decent potential candidate for eventual development. This season has already exhibited that some change to the prior years mid level instability issues seem to have occurred. I am still not convinced that things are back to normal by any stretch of the imagination however. While 94L remains a predominantly low level feature for a few days, near term recurvature seems out of the equation. Looks to me that its own Easterly surge upper level winds are not helping, though a deeper and more robust wave might well have little problem with the upper conditions. Looking at the upper air charts, GFS 200mb forecast indicates that the upper African ridge continues to push westward but in about 36 hours the flow is less strong as the system treks generally to the west. A mid Atlantic trough then approaches but I think it might just add a healthy dose of upper air difluence to help fire the wave up a little more, and the trough then seemingly pulls up and away quite quickly. I'm guessing that if some level of vorticity can remain with 94L, than it might start looking "like something" between 30 - 48 hours from now. Its still hard to say where exactly a low level center might form given the fairly large size envelope of this system. I think that eventual development will occur between 50W -60W & North of 15N (ala present GFS ensemble members) could very reasonably bring a potential Tropical Storm or minimal Hurricane threat to possibly the Virgin Islands, P.R., Bahamas or Fla. & possibly the Northern Gulf. Seems to me that a track & intensity such as that would kind of fit within the overall pattern thus for this season.

If this were any other year I would anticipate development regardless whether global models were yet on board. Given the wave at hand, Climatology, present SST's and anticipated near term upper level winds.... I would assume a system such as 94L would develop. Of course quicker development and the typically common long tracks during years past would commonly present a more developed system to possibly feel the pole-ward pull of any mid Atlantic trough or cut-off (if present).

At the moment SCIENCE (well, and History - 2013) makes it hard for me to be particularly bullish that 94L will ultimately develop; at least until I at see a significant increase in convection or at least for one of the global models to begin consistently latching on to development of a "deeper 94L". "IF" SUCH WERE TO OCCUR, my biggest concern wouldn't be necessarily how strong 94L might become but rather how strong the next storm will be! As a departure from Science (at least with regard to any particular specific synoptics), MY GUT (well, and historical Atlantic hurricane tracks & landfalls) suggests that a bigger concern could be a more intense threat might be the next system that potentially follows a similar general (or mirroring) track, over the days or few weeks to follow. It certainly would not be unreasonable to assume that 94L is merely the forerunner to additional higher amplitude waves yet to emerge from the African coastline during the days & few weeks to come. If the long wave pattern were such where a mid August storm were to be steered to at least 80W coupled with a tendency for tropical systems to continue to struggle to develop within the MDR, than my money would be riding on where a more intense version of 94L might eventually impact during the 1-4 weeks that follow. I'm not suggesting that some low latitude long tracker couldn't just track westward toward the Caribbean and keep on going, but rather that I think 94L poses a 50% chance (or better) of eventually developing into a depression or stronger & most likely affecting the Greater Antilles or some point along the U.S. coastline thereafter. IF that were to occur my hunch is that those same folks or area's close by, might just wanna keep their storm supplies handy.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#84 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:56 pm

Very well thought out post chaser1! And I agree for the most part, 94L is definately something to watch!
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#85 Postby chaser1 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:32 pm

Hurricane Andrew wrote:Very well thought out post chaser1! And I agree for the most part, 94L is definately something to watch!

Thanks!

I find it helps tremendously to at least sound thorough and logical in my forecast analysis. That way, if at some point where my entire forecast explodes in my face and ends up 100% incorrect, LOL...... , others might be more inclined to simply consider me an "idiot" for being altogether wrong; A step up from being considered a "moron" for being wrong due to some hair-brained guess that I just pulled out of my butt :wink:
0 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#86 Postby Evil Jeremy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:37 pm

I miss the days where tropical waves exiting the African coast in August were almost immediately tagged with a 20%-30% of forming within 48 hours.
0 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

HurricaneTracker2031
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#87 Postby HurricaneTracker2031 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:55 pm

94L has limited convection near center. However, it has much more on the Southwest. Slow development may occur over the next few days. However, conditions are not looking so well.

Synopsis for 94L and other systems: http://goo.gl/oRO47K

0 likes   
SHORT VERSION OF DISCLAIMER: THIS SITE LINK BELOW IS NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECASTING OFFICE AND SHOULD NOT BE USED TO MAKE ANY EMERGENCY DECISIONS....

http://www.macstropicalweather.weebly.com

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#88 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:36 pm

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
800 PM EDT MON AUG 11 2014

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. Shower activity remains limited in association with a broad area
of low pressure located a few hundred miles west-southwest of the
Cape Verde Islands. Little development is expected during the next
couple of days due to the system moving through a dry and stable
atmosphere over marginally warm waters. After that time,
environmental conditions could become more conducive for some
development over the western tropical Atlantic Ocean while the
system moves westward or west-northwestward at 15 to 20 mph.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...20 percent.

Forecaster Blake
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:18 pm

0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#90 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:36 pm

00z Best Track:

AL, 94, 2014081200, , BEST, 0, 125N, 310W, 20, 1012, DB
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#91 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Nitid sat image of 94L that is the small convection area to the north of ITCZ.

http://brohavwx.com/
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby Gustywind » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:38 pm

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
805 PM EDT MON AUG 11 2014

TROPICAL WAVE W OF CAPE VERDE ISLANDS EXTENDS N FROM 1012 MB LOW
CENTERED NEAR 12N31W TO 19N31W MOVING W AT 20 KT. THE WAVE IS
EVIDENT AT LEADING EDGE OF MID LEVEL MOISTURE PLUME ON SSMI TPW
IMAGERY. THE SURFACE LOW REMAINS S OF AN AFRICAN EASTERLY JET
WITH MAX WINDS NOTED IN GLOBAL MODEL DATA NEAR 16N30W. ISOLATED
LOW LEVEL SHOWERS IS FROM 12N-15N BETWEEN 31W-34W.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#93 Postby cycloneye » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:19 am

RIP to 94L.

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
800 AM EDT TUE AUG 12 2014

Shower activity associated with with a westward-moving broad area
of low pressure centered about 750 miles west-southwest of the Cape
Verde Islands has diminished. Environmental conditions are not
favorable for tropical cyclone formation.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...near 0 percent.

$$
Forecaster Avila
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#94 Postby Blown Away » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:27 am

TAFB has 94L moving NW in 72 hours...
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#95 Postby Blown Away » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:34 am

cycloneye wrote:RIP to 94L.

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
800 AM EDT TUE AUG 12 2014

Shower activity associated with with a westward-moving broad area
of low pressure centered about 750 miles west-southwest of the Cape
Verde Islands has diminished. Environmental conditions are not
favorable for tropical cyclone formation.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...near 0 percent.

$$
Forecaster Avila

The 06z intensity mostly show a hurricane within a 5 day period... Why, consistently, do these models miss so bad with intensity? I know it's still difficult to predict intensity, but it's obvious just looking at satellite imagery their is too much stable air in the MDR?
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#96 Postby Alyono » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:30 am

why do we even bother looking at SHIPS/LGE for systems that are not even depressions? They ASSUME the system is already a depression

Looking at those models for systems that do not even have a closed circulation is a waste of time
0 likes   

latitude_20
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#97 Postby latitude_20 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:37 am

So do we call in a priest? Or does this one still have a chance as it gets further west?
0 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#98 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:44 am

I have to disagree with the NHC on this one. SHIPS has shear decreasing and heat content rising by the 72 hour mark.

IMO
48 Hours-0%
120 Hours-40%
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#99 Postby gatorcane » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:07 am

Hurricane Andrew wrote:.I have to disagree with the NHC on this one. SHIPS has shear decreasing and heat content rising by the 72 hour mark.

Looking at the vis loops this morning there is nothing there that could even develop even if the shear was zero and the heat content was high. Looks like just some scattered cumulus clouds around this invest - the mid-level dry air and sinking air out there are killers for these waves, way above normal for this time of year.

0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#100 Postby Alyono » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:12 am

Hurricane Andrew wrote:The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

I have to disagree with the NHC on this one. SHIPS has shear decreasing and heat content rising by the 72 hour mark.

IMO
48 Hours-0%
120 Hours-40%

you should be aware by now that there is far more regarding development than low shear and warm SST
0 likes   

Return to “2014”