ATL: CRISTOBAL - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re:

#1781 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:24 pm

gatorcane wrote:The 12Z ECMWF has this down to 968MB heading ENE over the North Atlantic, 96 hours from now :eek:

Heck, 982mb in 48 hours. What is it looking at?
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: CRISTOBAL - Models

#1782 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Saved images

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#1783 Postby USTropics » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Here are some graphs I put together showing how some of the models have performed with Cristobal thus far (this data dates back to when Cristobal was designated 96L). The first graph is the average position error in nautical miles by forecast hour. The second graph is the average intensity error in regards to wind speed by forecast hour.

0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#1784 Postby artist » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:26 am

USTropics wrote:Here are some graphs I put together showing how some of the models have performed with Cristobal thus far (this data dates back to when Cristobal was designated 96L). The first graph is the average position error in nautical miles by forecast hour. The second graph is the average intensity error in regards to wind speed by forecast hour. [/Quote]

Very interesting. Do you have it available for the ecmwf and its ensembles? I am wondering how it compares with the others.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#1785 Postby USTropics » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:53 pm

artist wrote:
USTropics wrote:Here are some graphs I put together showing how some of the models have performed with Cristobal thus far (this data dates back to when Cristobal was designated 96L). The first graph is the average position error in nautical miles by forecast hour. The second graph is the average intensity error in regards to wind speed by forecast hour. [/Quote]

Very interesting. Do you have it available for the ecmwf and its ensembles? I am wondering how it compares with the others.

Unfortunately, the ECMWF model is proprietary and copyrighted; the public data set that is available is extremely limited. If anyone knows if they have a public data set for positional points per run, I would be able to average the errors but I have yet to locate that. The UKMET also has limited data available (or at least I can not find any data dumps per run).
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#1786 Postby ronjon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:01 pm

LOL - looks like the NAM did the best over the 72 hour period!
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#1787 Postby artist » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:37 pm

http://data-portal.ecmwf.int/
Have you tried this link above?

USTropics wrote:
artist wrote:

Unfortunately, the ECMWF model is proprietary and copyrighted; the public data set that is available is extremely limited. If anyone knows if they have a public data set for positional points per run, I would be able to average the errors but I have yet to locate that. The UKMET also has limited data available (or at least I can not find any data dumps per run).
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#1788 Postby USTropics » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:24 pm

artist wrote:http://data-portal.ecmwf.int/
Have you tried this link above?

Yes I have. Most of their public data appears to be oriented towards their climate variability reanalysis project and other past projects, and the data is just not current enough to include systems from this year (that I have found so far). I currently have access to their ftp database, and have found the .grib files for producing my own ECMWF forecasts in IDV, but nothing as far as positional points for active/past systems in regards to 2014. Short of manually looking at each run and verifying track positions, there doesn't appear to be any public data from ECMWF that will allow me to do this like the other models (which run from government entities with public domains, i.e. GFS and its components). I will contact them and see if this is included in their private data set, and if my applications for using their data would allow me to have a subscription with limited research privileges.
0 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#1789 Postby supercane4867 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:03 pm

00z GFS deepens Cristobal to 943mb just after extratropical transition, which is incredibly low for a non-tropical system in August
0 likes   

Return to “2014”