ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#841 Postby tailgater » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:35 am

Dean4Storms wrote:Right at 4 inches of rain at my house overnight and still pouring!

I'm coming back from Miami and just passed through Tallahassee storming there
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

#842 Postby wxman57 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:36 am

I'm hopeful for some rain in Texas, too. BIG squall line moved through Houston yesterday evening. Over 100,000 customers out of power. I got a whole 0.04" of rain. Many areas got another 1-2 inches. Keeps missing me by about a half mile. this system may well bring some rain to Texas by Monday. It's looking less likely it will become a TC, though. Pressure is rising at the northern BoC buoy.
0 likes   

Bailey1777
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#843 Postby Bailey1777 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:39 am

wxman57 we close to calling on Bones?
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Re:

#844 Postby wxman57 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:39 am

tailgater wrote: I'm coming back from Miami and just passed through Tallahassee storming there

You haven't even reached the big storms yet. Very heavy rain along I-10 about 50 miles to your west (due north of Panama City) all the way west to Mobile. Be careful.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#845 Postby wxman57 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:41 am

Bailey1777 wrote:wxman57 we close to calling on Bones?

He's still sleeping, but I hear him muttering something in his sleep about development chances diminishing fast...
0 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#846 Postby tailgater » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:45 am

wxman57 wrote:
tailgater wrote: I'm coming back from Miami and just passed through Tallahassee storming there

You haven't even reached the big storms yet. Very heavy rain along I-10 about 50 miles to your west (due north of Panama City) all the way west to Mobile. Be careful.

thanks I think
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Bailey1777
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#847 Postby Bailey1777 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:49 am

curious sat. shows convection streaming north and sw will this sw strem help or do we even hae a dominant llc for it to cover?
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#848 Postby Dean4Storms » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:49 am

wxman57 wrote:

I can attest to that, here just east of Destin. Raining hard at times.
0 likes   

nautical wheeler
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#849 Postby nautical wheeler » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:54 am

wxman57 wrote:Just got 12Z models in. Don't know why NHC initialized it at 20.7N/92.8W. Can't see anything there. Of course, the far south initialization means most of the models shifted south into Mexico. Appearance on satellite (with sfc obs plotted) is looking quite frontal now. Dry air flowing south off the TX coast. Frontal boundary, weak as it is, extends SW off the mid Gulf coast then what looks like a trof axis extending south to the BoC. Looks just like a frontal wave up around 26N or so. Here, take a look:

[img][/img]

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Thanks for the insight wxman.

It seems to me like we basically witnessed a ULL come in and rob the convection from 92L and spin around at the mid levels to upper levels for about a day. My personal opinion is that there never was anything close to a LLC developing there, although IF the system were to develop into anything substantial it would have HAD to spin down from there - from the ULL - for there to be any chance of anything substantial. There simply wasn't enough convection to do that and that ULL was already pulling in some drier air down with it anyway.

I have never seen a ULL swoop in and rob convection from a storm like that - much less do that and develop into a tropical system. However, I'm not a pro-met and it's possible this is a more typical occurrence. When I think of those small spin-up ULL's near tropical systems I think shear, not a full on take-over of the system.

Again, being a novice, this may not accurately described what happened but this sure has been a fun and interesting system to watch.

Perhaps if that front lingers around and the ULL spins itself out or moves away then there's a chance we see a completely different disturbance develop from the lingering convection. JMAO (just my amateur opinon).
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#850 Postby Sanibel » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:56 am

Convection will burst off the center.
0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#851 Postby Janie2006 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:08 am

Still raining here in Mobile, although lighter than last night. Radar observations give me no reason to think the rain will completely end anytime soon. 92L is a complete mess.
0 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#852 Postby stormreader » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:38 am

Increase in convection does in fact look like a frontal boundary. But that being said, they are notorious for spin-ups and TD formation. I would think that a 50% chance of eventual TD formation might be on the conservative side, with formation coming toward the south end (near where the old llc was located.

Amateur opinion---check NHC for all official information.

0 likes   

HurriGuy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#853 Postby HurriGuy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:42 am

Still hoping for rain here in LA
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#854 Postby tailgater » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:42 am

TD soon anybody?
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#855 Postby BigB0882 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:47 am

HurriGuy wrote:Still hoping for rain here in LA

I wouldn't mind a rainy relaxing weekend. If this moves NW as the NHC said it might, that could bring those displaced showers over to Louisiana, I would think. If it had come to Louisiana then all the rain would have missed us to the East.
0 likes   

HurriGuy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#856 Postby HurriGuy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:49 am

BigB0882 wrote:

I wouldn't mind a rainy relaxing weekend. If this moves NW as the NHC said it might, that could bring those displaced showers over to Louisiana, I would think. If it had come to Louisiana then all the rain would have missed us to the East.

Agreed.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SunnyThoughts
Category 5
Category 5

#857 Postby SunnyThoughts » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:49 am

Steady rain since about 1am this morning here... Under flash flood watch until Sunday evening, if it doesnt end soon...afraid that may end up being upgraded to a warning. Way too much rain the last few weeks...wish we could send some to you guys in Texas.
0 likes   

TexWx
Category 1
Category 1

#858 Postby TexWx » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:50 am

I haven't paid much attention, but is La. as dry as Texas?
0 likes   

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#859 Postby ninel conde » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:53 am

stormreader wrote:Increase in convection does in fact look like a frontal boundary. But that being said, they are notorious for spin-ups and TD formation. I would think that a 50% chance of eventual TD formation might be on the conservative side, with formation coming toward the south end (near where the old llc was located.

Amateur opinion---check NHC for all official information.

does have the appearance of a front.
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#860 Postby BigB0882 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:03 am

TexWx wrote:

I haven't paid much attention, but is La. as dry as Texas?

I don't think so. However, I am in SELA and that could be very different as you head West towards Texas. I think central to west Louisiana is a little dry but probably not as bad as Texas. Here in SELA, I think we are ahead on rain for the year.
0 likes   

Return to “2013”