ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#941 Postby fci » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:41 am

Season has been a joy to me so far.
May it continue to be boring with promising Invests poofing out..... 8-)
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#942 Postby Dean4Storms » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:26 am

I'd still watch the SW Gulf and that lower level swirl. All it needs is time and convection IMO.
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#943 Postby Dean4Storms » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:36 am

I think the Low now near or off the SE Coast of LA came close to becoming a TC had it been under better upper level conditions. Buoy south of Daulphin Island has had strong wind gusts all morning, varying wind directions and quick pressure changes.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42040
0 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Discussion

#944 Postby stormreader » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:01 am

I agree with you Dean. As unlikely as it may seem I wouldn't pronounce the area in the SW Gulf dead just yet. Further north you can see the thunderstorms racing toward the coast of Al Fl (way too fast for tropical development). But further south (where the convection resumed this morning) conditions will probably become more stable, and I think you might very well see development (as you would along the tail end of a typical front in that area).

Just an individual amateur. For all official info check with authorities (National Hurricane Center).
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#945 Postby HouTXmetro » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:15 am

Area near 95W 23N looks suspect.
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#946 Postby tailgater » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:42 am

HouTXmetro wrote:Area near 95W 23N looks suspect.

As the feature on the NGOM coast pulls northward conditions might improve down by the suspect area you posted about. This buoy seems to be almost directly under it or very near and pressures aren't that low but if it does break away from the trough/frontal zone then it will need to watch very closely. it would likely move WNW or NW.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42055

Also noticing a low is forming about 20 miles south of Gulfport MS, hope that doesn't add a torando threat, to the flooding problems east of there.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#947 Postby Portastorm » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:41 am

stormreader wrote:I agree with you Dean. As unlikely as it may seem I wouldn't pronounce the area in the SW Gulf dead just yet. Further north you can see the thunderstorms racing toward the coast of Al Fl (way too fast for tropical development). But further south (where the convection resumed this morning) conditions will probably become more stable, and I think you might very well see development (as you would along the tail end of a typical front in that area).

Just an individual amateur. For all official info check with authorities (National Hurricane Center).

Y'all are trying to turn this Star Trek episode into an episode of The Walking Dead! :lol:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#948 Postby Frank P » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:05 pm

tailgater wrote:

As the feature on the NGOM coast pulls northward conditions might improve down by the suspect area you posted about. This buoy seems to be almost directly under it or very near and pressures aren't that low but if it does break away from the trough/frontal zone then it will need to watch very closely. it would likely move WNW or NW.

Also noticing a low is forming about 20 miles south of Gulfport MS, hope that doesn't add a torando threat, to the flooding problems east of there.

Radar has the little low south of Bay St. Louis coming inland ... getting tropical depression like conditions in Biloxi right now... winds out of the ESE to SE from sustained at times 20-25mph with a few gusts to 30mph, tides a couple of feet above normal and copious amounts of rain with another very heavy rain squall approaching...
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#949 Postby Sanibel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Is that resuscitation I see?
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#950 Postby Frank P » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Video of conditions in Biloxi on the beach...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ju6Uymafoc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#951 Postby Dean4Storms » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Frank P wrote:
tailgater wrote:

Radar has the little low south of Bay St. Louis coming inland ... getting tropical depression like conditions in Biloxi right now... winds out of the ESE to SE from sustained at times 20-25mph with a few gusts to 30mph, tides a couple of feet above normal and copious amounts of rain with another very heavy rain squall approaching...

I think a Depression may have formed Frank P..... check the buoy south of Daulphin Island.... Sustained winds at 33kts and gusts to 39kts.
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#952 Postby HouTXmetro » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Starting to see sustained Deep convection near 94W and 23N. Let's see if it can do something. I also noticed the NHC has dissipated the Frontal boundary just east of the LA/MS border but the trough/wave still extends deep into the BOC.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/gmex/flash-avn.html
Last edited by Portastorm on Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link so it'll open in new window
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#953 Postby Frank P » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:23 pm

HouTXmetro wrote:Starting to see sustained Deep convection near 94W and 23N. Let's see if it can do something. I also noticed the NHC has dissipated the Frontal boundary just east of the LA/MS border but the trough/wave still extends deep into the BOC.

Getting hit with a really good rain band right now... I have a brass bell on my porch... it takes about 35-40mph wind gusts to make it ring... and it has rung several times in the past few minutes.... amazingly reliable wind gauge I might add.. Can't remember what model said the northern half of 92L would spin up near the LA/MS coast but it sure did... very much tropical depression conditions in Biloxi right now.. tried to go on my porch to video it but it was blowing and raining way to hard...
0 likes   

bamajammer4eva
Category 4
Category 4

#954 Postby bamajammer4eva » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:28 pm

Looks like the GFS was right about the winds after all. Doesn't look organized but gusty.

0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#955 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Im wondering if they will call this a tropical storm in post season analysis
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#956 Postby HouTXmetro » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:39 pm

wow, SW winds 37 gusting to 55 mph off shore. Nasty conditions up there.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#957 Postby cycloneye » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:41 pm

No mention at 2 PM TWO.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#958 Postby Portastorm » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:Im wondering if they will call this a tropical storm in post season analysis

Highly unlikely.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#959 Postby Frank P » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:10 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kQFAjP8axU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

This system may not be declared a depression but it is every bit of one weather wise today on the beach in Biloxi... able to shoot this video via a crack in the front when is slacked up a tad, we are still getting pounded with some torrential rains right now from the same cell that has lasted quite some time..
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#960 Postby HouTXmetro » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:30 pm

Just an observation, but is the area in the SW Gulf attempting to cut off? Pay attention to the the sustained convection down there while it's weakening Northeast as you progress towards the LA/MS/AL area. I also see a rapidly approaching Tropical Wave near Central Cuba headed towards the Gulf. Should that area in the SW Gulf Linger could the wave spark something further? Bears Watching. lol
0 likes   

Return to “2013”