ATL: INVEST 95L - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: Ex INVEST 95L - Discussion - 0% - 0%

#461 Postby chaser1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:45 pm

NDG wrote:
ronjon wrote:Any low pressure at 1002 mb in the GOM in Sept bears watching. NHC really downplaying it but should they? Seems like an overreaction to getting burnt on their 80% chance earlier with 95L.

Great point.

Ditto.... Given its appearance on satellite and the warm SST's, I'd probably go with 20%. Maybe their argument might be that any development at this point would be purely subtropical and that percentages for tropical development are not used in conjunction with potentially baroclinic systems?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#462 Postby chaser1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:44 pm

tolakram wrote:Enough of this please. I hesitated before, but the JB NHC bash is icing on the cake.

If you disagree say so, but do it respectfully. Accusing them of downplaying the storm because they got burnt before is not respectful and adds nothing to the conversation.

I have no problem with someone questioning the observations, forecast, or philosophy of NHC (or anyone) providing its respectful (heck, i'm here yelling at the T.V. but no doubt the Dolphins' coaching staff likely know more than I do about football too LOL).

What I DO agree with however, is that i'm personally tired of all of the "JB said..." stuff. Is Bastardi registered as a member or even post from time to time as a guest??? If so, i'd welcome him and well he'd be entitled to his opinion as well. I mean come on..... it's not as if people here are consistently offering up multiple daily quotes from Bob Sheets or Neil Frank several times a day. As far as I am concerned, he and anyone else is welcome to come and enter any forum conversation. Short of that however, if I'm interested in a steady diet of JB, i'll simply decide to follow his twitter, facebook or other social feeds he's established. If that seems harsh, then why dont we all start quoting every single remark that any weather related person makes. Don't get me wrong about being curious if someone had a particularly newsworthy or novel discovery or observation, but I really just don't care to hear some 3rd party's glib opinion on a wide range of stuff any more than really caring whether or not they enjoy beef jerky or which brand of toilet paper they buy. Furthermore, I am in no way more inclined to think that JB gets any more of a pass on his predictive or forecast abilities than others from this site, other institutions, or NHC. I do not hold the belief that JB has such an omniscient vision that I have the need to know his every thought.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#463 Postby cycloneye » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:35 pm

8 PM TWO:

AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IS LOCATED A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MILES EAST OF
BROWNSVILLE TEXAS. WHILE PRESSURES ARE LOW IN THIS AREA...THE
ASSOCIATED SHOWER ACTIVITY IS CURRENTLY POORLY ORGANIZED DUE TO
UNFAVORABLE UPPER-LEVEL WINDS AND DRY AIR. THE LOW IS EXPECTED TO
DRIFT NORTHEASTWARD AND MERGE WITH A FRONTAL ZONE DURING THE NEXT
COUPLE OF DAYS. THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOW CHANCE...NEAR 0 PERCENT...OF
BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS...AND A LOW
CHANCE...NEAR 0 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE
NEXT 5 DAYS.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#464 Postby WeatherGuesser » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:37 pm

chaser1 wrote:What I DO agree with however, is that i'm personally tired of all of the "JB said..." stuff.

Yeah, that's been discussed before. I have a few posters on Ignore because of their constant quoting of him.

I'm curious though. Since he's on a pay-for-play site, wouldn't quoting him be a copyright infringement? Bootlegging in a way?
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#465 Postby Dean4Storms » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:47 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:
chaser1 wrote:What I DO agree with however, is that i'm personally tired of all of the "JB said..." stuff.

Yeah, that's been discussed before. I have a few posters on Ignore because of their constant quoting of him.

I'm curious though. Since he's on a pay-for-play site, wouldn't quoting him be a copyright infringement? Bootlegging in a way?

Most of what is posted here from JB is from twitter.

We see stuff posted on here from Dr. Masters, Levi Cowan and others and we should be putting value in anyone's professional opinion. JB is a professional Meteorologist and happens to be pretty good with his forecasts. If you don't like a post pull up the big girl panties and ignore it! :roll:
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#466 Postby MGC » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:36 pm

JB has every right to bash the NHC or any other government agency, it is a right just read the 1st amendment. Most of the time though, I think JB is just stirring the pot to promote his business. The disturbance formerly known as 95L is naked and suffering from shear. Small chance if the shear and dry air relax......MGC
0 likes   

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

#467 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:42 pm

The new Orleans nws must think this will build some moisture tomorrow and Tuesday. They have upped our rain chances for 70% for Tuesday as this moves closer.
0 likes   

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

#468 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Dean4Storms wrote:
WeatherGuesser wrote:

We see stuff posted on here from Dr. Masters, Levi Cowan and others and we should be putting value in anyone's professional opinion. JB is a professional Meteorologist and happens to be pretty good with his forecasts. If you don't like a post pull up the big girl panties and ignore it! :roll:

I agree. Should be same for everybody or not allowed to quote anybody at all. If you don't like it ignore it and move along. Don't make a post stating why you don't like it or arguing against it.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#469 Postby chaser1 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:22 am

WeatherGuesser wrote:

We see stuff posted on here from Dr. Masters, Levi Cowan and others and we should be putting value in anyone's professional opinion. JB is a professional Meteorologist and happens to be pretty good with his forecasts. If you don't like a post pull up the big girl panties and ignore it! :roll:[/quote]

I agree. Should be same for everybody or not allowed to quote anybody at all. If you don't like it ignore it and move along. Don't make a post stating why you don't like it or arguing against it.[/quote]

WeatherGuesser wrote:

Could be copyright infringement but unlikely. The moment one publicly states info on any number of social web sites, such info can be basically referenced as public info.

Great idea about being able to block posters, though i'll likely use it very conservatively. I actually appreciate the content, analysis & points that most add to various conversations here. In fact, that is the point of an active forum, right? However i'm not here to collect "bobble head" figures of my Meteorological hero's, and i'm not interested in a RSS internet feed every time someone speaks. If Levi or Jeff (or JB) make an observation or forecast once or twice a week - great i'd be interested to hear about their thoughts on the science. Certainly not 3rd party blow by blow quotes of generic anecdotal prose - and certainly not for reason of self promotion or ego fulfillment.

So, anyone happen to notice that the 0Z CMC run has 2 tropical depressions (or storms) on the maps right about at the time that 95L hooks left into Nova Scotia?? The model still wants to really wind 95L back up after a few days. Right about then, there looks to be a system in the W. Caribbean and another approaching the Lesser Antilles around 15N & 50W!
0 likes   

stormkite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#470 Postby stormkite » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:24 am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

.SYNOPSIS...
A SHORTWAVE TROUGH OVER THE CNTRL CONUS SHOULD DAMPEN SOMEWHAT
AS IT PROGRESSES INTO THE MIDWEST/LOWER OH VALLEY BY EARLY WED.
ASSOCIATED SURFACE COLD FRONT SHOULD REACH THE MID/LOWER MS VALLEY.
A WEAK WARM FRONT WILL ADVANCE NEWD ACROSS PARTS OF THE MID-SOUTH
AND SOUTHEAST. IN THE WEST...A LARGE-SCALE UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH WILL
AMPLIFY INLAND.

...MS/AL/TN...
AS A WARM FRONT ADVANCES N/NEWD BEGINNING D1...A MARITIME TROPICAL
AIR MASS WILL PUSH INLAND FROM THE GULF COAST AND SHOULD YIELD UPPER
60S SURFACE DEW POINTS AS FAR N AS THE TN BORDER WITH MS/AL BY TUE
AFTERNOON. DESPITE THE DAMPENING NATURE OF THE TROUGH...A BELT OF
30-40 KT WLYS AT 500 MB SHOULD OVERSPREAD THE WARM SECTOR. THIS
COULD YIELD A LOOSELY-ORGANIZED CLUSTER OR TWO AMIDST CONVECTION
INCREASING IN COVERAGE BY AFTERNOON AS SURFACE HEATING BOOSTS MLCAPE
TO NEAR 500-1000 J/KG. MARGINAL MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES AND ANEMIC
LOW-LEVEL FLOW SHOULD TEMPER OVERALL SEVERE RISK...BUT LOCALLY
DAMAGING WINDS MAY OCCUR IN THE STRONGEST UPDRAFTS.

..GRAMS.. 09/23/2013
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: Ex INVEST 95L - Discussion - 0% / 0%

#471 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:40 am

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
800 AM EDT MON SEP 23 2013

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IS LOCATED A COUPLE OF HUNDRED MILES EAST OF
BROWNSVILLE TEXAS. SHOWER ACTIVITY HAS DIMINISHED DUE TO
UNFAVORABLE UPPER-LEVEL WINDS AND DRY AIR...AND DEVELOPMENT OF THIS
LOW IS NOT EXPECTED. THIS SYSTEM HAS A LOW CHANCE...NEAR 0
PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48
HOURS...AND A LOW CHANCE...NEAR 0 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL
CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 5 DAYS AS IT BEGINS TO DRIFT NORTHEASTWARD.

&&

FIVE-DAY FORMATION PROBABILITIES ARE EXPERIMENTAL IN 2013. COMMENTS
ON THE EXPERIMENTAL FORECASTS CAN BE PROVIDED AT...

http://WWW.NWS.NOAA.GOV/SURVEY/NWS-SURVEY.PHP?CODE=ETWO

$$
FORECASTER KIMBERLAIN
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#472 Postby WeatherGuesser » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:42 am

Dean4Storms wrote:We see stuff posted on here from Dr. Masters, Levi Cowan and others

I skip over those too. If it isn't from NOAA/NWS/NHC, I skip it.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#473 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:56 am

Just to be clear on this.

If anyone bashes the NHC in a tweet it is NOT ok to repost that tweet here regardless of who they are. From my perspective this is not about who we post from but WHAT we post. Generally we want the conversations here to contain thoughtful analysis. Twitter is not a good medium for thoughtful analysis. :)
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

#474 Postby tropicwatch » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:02 am

Well as we speak the shear has come down considerably

and showers are starting to build in the area.

will see if this continues.
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#475 Postby Stormcenter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:12 am

I'm still watching very very closely.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#476 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:13 am

It's a tad on the dry side. :)

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#477 Postby wxman57 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:26 am

95L merged with a stronger frontal low that moved off the lower Texas coast on Saturday morning. Since then, quite dry air has been flowing into the low, diminishing convection considerably. Wind shear isn't an issue, but the atmosphere appears to be too dry for TC development. The low should accelerate eastward and dissipate in about 48 hrs as another low develops on the front east of Florida.

Here's a current satellite with my analysis of frontal positions.

0 likes   

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#478 Postby Stormcenter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:50 am

0 likes   

Airboy
Category 1
Category 1

#479 Postby Airboy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:53 am

hm.. looks to me it's a rotation with convection starting to form again, it should at least have a 10-20 % chance?
0 likes   

Stormcenter
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#480 Postby Stormcenter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:14 am

0 likes   

Return to “2013”