ATL: IRMA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IRMA - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#12261 Postby stormreader » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:28 am

I think that considering Irma's entire existence, she is the most impressive storm in my long memory. The most impressive Atlantic hurricane of at least the last 50 years (modern data), she could be the most impressive storm of the last 100 years... That's really saying something. One indication was the residual energy left over in the storm after impact with Cuba. Many majors would have come off Cuba with a hollowed out look. And Irma was in fact weaker at its center, but it still had an eye, it still had a core, but just not as intense there as you probably would expect from a reported 130 mph storm in the keys. Seemed like the storm was not really able to reach the that level of sustained winds along the coast of Fl, but gusts were still there. The overall energy throughout the large body of the storm was still there, still very impressive. I think that gives you an indication of the latent power in this system, and how fortunate Fl really is.
2 likes   

pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

#12262 Postby pgoss11 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:29 am

forecasterjack wrote:GOES16 1 minute loop zoomed into the SC/GA coast is amazing. Watch that train of supercells stream onshore: https://weather.us/satellite/793-w-321-n/satellite-superhd-1min.html#play

Just went under a tornado watch here in Charleston. Those supercells out in the Atlantic look pretty impressive.
3 likes   

gailwarning
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12263 Postby gailwarning » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:30 am

Long time lurker- new member. Thanks to all for keeping us informed!!

It was a long night in Rockledge, Brevard County. We lost a bunch of shingles. So much for the inspection I had done in April, where the guy said it was in good shape and he'd let it go a few more years. Many of my shrubs lost a lot of leaves. We had some pretty hefty gusts, including this AM. It finally seems to be calming down now. Minor street flooding in our subdivision. We lost power at 9:30 last nite and got it back just after 7 AM this morning. Great job, FPL!

Several towns served by the Cocoa Water District have no water, including us. There's a loss of water pressure in their system. They are asking people to report anything they see that might be part of the issue.
3 likes   

nativefloridian
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12264 Postby nativefloridian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:39 am

Checking in from Pembroke Pines. Looks like a bomb dropped here due to the amount of trees and debris/limbs everywhere and we lost power at 2:20 pm yesterday. Been on generator power since then...so we have fridge, tv, and internet hooked up. Guess we'll be cooking burgers on the grill tonight for dinner.
Been on clean-up duty since 7am this morning, so taking a little break. Thankful Irma wasn't more powerful (it was reported we had some gusts up to 109 mph) cuz it certainly was a long day yesterday and she was blowing hard here a little to long for my liking. House intact and we are safe! Hope everyone else came through ok!
2 likes   

lando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12265 Postby lando » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:43 am

Jacksonville set a record for storm surge downtown...

Also anyone heard from Floridasun?
0 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#12266 Postby stormreader » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:45 am

lando wrote:Jacksonville set a record for storm surge downtown...

Don't think so. Someone asked about him last night. Isn't he somewhere near Miami?
0 likes   

lando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12267 Postby lando » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:46 am

stormreader wrote:

Don't think so. Someone asked about him last night. Isn't he somewhere near Miami?

He lives in a mobile home by Miami international
0 likes   

lisa0825
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12268 Postby lisa0825 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:51 am

lando wrote:
stormreader wrote:

But he did evacuate from the mobile home.
2 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#12269 Postby stormreader » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 am

That storm surge record for Jacksonville shows you the amazing overall strength and size of the circulation. Storm to your west now, you're getting the winds E to W straight off the Atlantic. Not your typical dying "tropical storm" to your west.
0 likes   

lando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12270 Postby lando » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:11 am

lisa0825 wrote:
lando wrote:
stormreader wrote:Don't think so. Someone asked about him last night. Isn't he somewhere near Miami?

But he did evacuate from the mobile home.

That would be good. I remember him saying he was staying in the managers office to watch over the park because he was assistant manager
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#12271 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:12 am

BULLETIN
Tropical Storm Irma Advisory Number 50
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
1100 AM EDT Mon Sep 11 2017

...IRMA GRADUALLY WEAKENING WHILE MOVING OVER NORTHERN FLORIDA ...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...30.3N 83.1W
ABOUT 70 MI...115 KM E OF TALLAHASSEE FLORIDA
ABOUT 85 MI...135 KM N OF CEDAR KEY FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...65 MPH...100 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 340 DEGREES AT 17 MPH...28 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...975 MB...28.80 INCHES
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

lisa0825
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12272 Postby lisa0825 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:13 am

8 likes   

bjackrian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12273 Postby bjackrian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 am

Can anyone more familiar with the Jacksonville area help me understand how Irma's moving north of the area will increase surge flooding? The mayor, per the local newspaper, says that with the southerly winds, water is expected to rise 4-6 more feet, but it looks like with the storm north of Jacksonville, the flow should turn offshore. What am I missing? Thanks!

Florida Times Union story: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2017-09-11/rising-waters-threaten-neighborhoods-along-river-san-marco-riverside-downtown
0 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#12274 Postby stormreader » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:26 am

bjackrian wrote:Can anyone more familiar with the Jacksonville area help me understand how Irma's moving north of the area will increase surge flooding? The mayor, per the local newspaper, says that with the southerly winds, water is expected to rise 4-6 more feet, but it looks like with the storm north of Jacksonville, the flow should turn offshore. What am I missing? Thanks!

Florida Times Union story: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2017-09-11/rising-waters-threaten-neighborhoods-along-river-san-marco-riverside-downtown

Storm continued movement further N and W---Your circulation should slowly bend around to ESE---so water would continue to pile up into bays along the N Fl and Ga coast.
1 likes   

bjackrian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12275 Postby bjackrian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:29 am

stormreader wrote:
bjackrian wrote:Can anyone more familiar with the Jacksonville area help me understand how Irma's moving north of the area will increase surge flooding? The mayor, per the local newspaper, says that with the southerly winds, water is expected to rise 4-6 more feet, but it looks like with the storm north of Jacksonville, the flow should turn offshore. What am I missing? Thanks!

Storm continued movement further N and W---Your circulation should slowly bend around to ESE---so water would continue to pile up into bays along the N Fl and Ga coast.

Thanks--I guess with the shape of the coast there, that makes sense.
0 likes   

Hurricane Mac
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#12276 Postby Hurricane Mac » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:32 am

Also the St. John's runs South to North then turns 90 degrees east in downtown Jax, so it literally is pushing into a corner.
1 likes   
I am no meteorologist, but I did study it at the University of Miami for 3 years before changing majors, so take everything with a ton of salt and believe just about nothing that I say. Check with the NHC and the pros for official predictions.

hurricanefloyd5
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: Irma: Observations,Web Cams,Local NWS Statements (NE Caribbean/Bahamas/Florida/SC/NC)

#12277 Postby hurricanefloyd5 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 am

Today
Showers. The rain could be heavy at times. Patchy fog after 2pm. High near 64. Breezy, with a northeast wind 18 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Tonight
Showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 1am. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Patchy fog. Low around 62. Windy, with a north northeast wind 18 to 26 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible

High wind warning for me. Thats a joke
0 likes   

PTPatrick
Category 5
Category 5

#12278 Postby PTPatrick » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:40 am

stormreader wrote:I think that considering Irma's entire existence, she is the most impressive storm in my long memory. The most impressive Atlantic hurricane of at least the last 50 years (modern data), she could be the most impressive storm of the last 100 years... That's really saying something. One indication was the residual energy left over in the storm after impact with Cuba. Many majors would have come off Cuba with a hollowed out look. And Irma was in fact weaker at its center, but it still had an eye, it still had a core, but just not as intense there as you probably would expect from a reported 130 mph storm in the keys. Seemed like the storm was not really able to reach the that level of sustained winds along the coast of Fl, but gusts were still there. The overall energy throughout the large body of the storm was still there, still very impressive. I think that gives you an indication of the latent power in this system, and how fortunate Fl really is.

It will be one for the history books for sure. We remember storms for different reasons. I will always remember it as the cat 5 that could. it just kept going and going and going. LIke nothing I have ever seen. Thankfully, other than ground zero Keys islands the damage was not horrendous here in the states. For our friends in the islands of the Caribbean it was life changing...but here she will largely be remembered as the "great florida inconvenience", and for the massive area of surge along the east coast. It's always interesting to me how storms take on a personality. I will always remember Katrina and I hope I never see anything like it again. No storm will stick into my memory like Katrina, largely because of the overwhelming moment of anxiety I felt to wake up early the morning of the 27th to see her newly formed category 5 eye winking at the gulf coast . Harvey will be remembered as the "great flood of houston", more than for his Rockport devastation(in much the same way New Orleans overshadowed the true devastation of the entire MS coast). Andrew lives on in images of a flattened Homestead. Folks from my neck of the woods always called Frederic a wind storm not a water storm. My father always said there more trees down in that storm and more wind damage that any storm he has ever seen including Camille (not at ground zero). I for one am glad we are not eulogizing Irma as the storm the flattened Miami.
3 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: IRMA - Hurricane - Discussion

#12279 Postby otowntiger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:57 am

NDG wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Irma doesn't look tropical any longer. Its core is gone and it appears to have merged with the cold front. This makes it a much larger storm than it was at landfall, but without the intense core winds. Giant tropical storm.

What was left of her core was very strange when it passed through Orlando, it was falling apart by the minute, winds were very strong out of the ESE sustained near 45-50 mph gusting to 80 mph with heavy rains, on radar it got the look of a squall line oriented E-W, when it passed the winds switch to the SSE and became even stronger with only low clouds and fine drizzle floating in the air, by that time low pressure center was closer to Tampa to our WSW.
So I am guessing dry air intrusion made her core collapse.

that was some wicked wind as she blew thru here last night. Not as intense as Charley, but much wider spread damage.
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#12280 Postby wxman57 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:00 am

Wind is now out of the SSE in Jacksonville, meaning that water is no longer being directed into the St. John's river. Therefore, the water levels have just about peaked. They would be starting to drop except that the high tide isn't for a few more hours. Once you get past high tide early this afternoon, the water levels will decrease. Certainly you're not going to see any additional 4-6 feet there. That's ridiculous.
0 likes   

Return to “2017”