ATL: HARVEY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

rainshine
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: ATL: HARVEY - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#7741 Postby rainshine » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:46 am

The hits keep coming. This is really bad.
http://kfdm.com/news/local/city-of-beau ... ter-supply
1 likes   
Full-Time Lurker Since 2003

nutkin517
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#7742 Postby nutkin517 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:02 am

My neighbor woke me up to fill up my tub. Beaumont has lost its water supply due to damage from Harvey. They don't know when they can repair the damages because the Neches River has to recede first. And no telling when that will happen because they are releasing water from Dam B.

http://kfdm.com/news/local/city-of-beau ... ter-supply

I am just at a loss for what to do. Supplies cannot come in due to flooding of all of the ways in/out and we cannot get out.
0 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7743 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:07 am

Two Navy Ships heading to TX / LA coasts:

Two US Navy warships, the USS Kearsarge and the USS Oak Hill, are being deployed to Texas, the Navy announced Wednesday.
The Kearsarge, an amphibious assault ship, was in the Atlantic Ocean for training, but returned to Norfolk on Tuesday to load up with disaster relief supplies like water and food, and a unit of Marines, before departing for Texas on Thursday.
The Oak Hill, a smaller dock landing ship, will bring supplies and join the Kearsarge in supporting "federal, state and local authorities ongoing relief efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey," according to the Navy.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/30/politics/texas-harvey-flooding-military-response/index.html
0 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7744 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:27 am

City of Beaumont has LOST its WATER SUPPLY

BEAUMONT — BREAKING: The city of Beaumont has lost its water supply throughout the city due to floodwaters causing the Neches River to flood the city's pump station, according to Beaumont Fire-Rescue Capt. Brad Pennison.
In the next three to four hours, the city of Beaumont will be without water until repairs can be made.
Workers will have to wait for water to recede to determine the damage before repairs can be made, Pennison said. Therefore, there is no way at this time to determine how soon repairs can be made.

http://kfdm.com/news/local/city-of-beaumont-has-lost-its-water-supply
1 likes   

nutkin517
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#7745 Postby nutkin517 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:35 am

I've filled up one tub to the top and every plasticware container and pot that I have. I cannot get any water pressure in my master bathroom. I have a little over a case of drinking water. Anything I am forgetting?
1 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7746 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:15 am

nutkin517 wrote:I've filled up one tub to the top and every plasticware container and pot that I have. I cannot get any water pressure in my master bathroom. I have a little over a case of drinking water. Anything I am forgetting?

If you can manage it, you could try filling your washing machine.
0 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7747 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:18 am

New MANDATORY Evacuation in Ft Bend County

The Fort Bend County of Emergency Management has changed a voluntary evacuation to a mandatory evacuation order for several subdivisions in the Barker reservoir area.

However, people living in that mandatory evacuation zone should not try to leave until morning, because driving conditions may be unsafe.

The agency's spokesperson said they originally issued a voluntary evacuation but upgraded it to mandatory in order to make sure people living in those areas don't try to return home quite yet.

The reservoir has risen to 101.1 feet at this time and imminent flooding is expected in this area, according to the county's emergency management website.

Fort Bend County's unincorporated area is under a curfew from 12:00 AM to 6:00AM and officials say it is best not to travel on these roadways until daylight. They are advising residents to make preparations now to remove all persons and pets out of the neighborhoods.

The areas now under mandatory evacuation includes:

CANYON GATE – all sections

CINCO RANCH – following sections: Bayou Park Estates, Cinco Forest, Equestrian Village, Fountain View, Greenway Village, Institutional Core, Southpark Meadow Place, North Lake Village, Plaza Subdivision, West Section 7, Willow Fork

GRAND LAKES – all sections

KELLIWOOD – following sections: Courts, Fairways, Greens, Links, Park, Pointe Terrace

RICEFIELD VILLAGE

WILLOW FORK – Greens, Section 1

There is an interactive map on the Fort Bend County OEM website where citizens can type their address and see if they are in a mandatory evacuation area.

If you are a resident in the evacuation zones and you do not have transportation or a place to go you should call Fort Bend Office of Emergency Management at 281-342-6185 and request assistance with the evacuation.

http://www.khou.com/weather/hurricanes/hurricane-harvey/new-mandatory-evacuation-for-barker-reservoir-communities/469495805
1 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7748 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:31 am

From TWC
Reports have come in of two explosions at the chemical plant in Crosby, TX
0 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7749 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:42 am

Other reports say black smoke is rising from the site. One TV channel says a deputy has been taken to hospital, and another says ten people, with headache and dizziness from inhaling fumes.
0 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7750 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:50 am

From company's CEO of North American Operations, Richard Rowe:
Rowe believes a fire would be “largely sustained on our site but we are trying to be conservative” and said the resulting plume of black smoke will not cause any “long-term harm or impact.”

http://nypost.com/2017/08/30/authorities-brace-for-explosion-at-flooded-houston-chemical-plant/
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#7751 Postby artist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:34 am

flamingosun wrote:From company's CEO of North American Operations, Richard Rowe:
Rowe believes a fire would be “largely sustained on our site but we are trying to be conservative” and said the resulting plume of black smoke will not cause any “long-term harm or impact.”

http://nypost.com/2017/08/30/authorities-brace-for-explosion-at-flooded-houston-chemical-plant/

I just heard 10 deputies have been hospitalized from the fumes
0 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7752 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:01 am

artist wrote:
flamingosun wrote:From company's CEO of North American Operations, Richard Rowe:

I just heard 10 deputies have been hospitalized from the fumes

UPDATE:
Yes, apparently that one was taken by ambulance, and nine more drove themselves there to be checked out.
1 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7753 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:10 am

Barker reservoir is at 101' and forecast to go to 104'.
It goes into Buffalo Bayou. Homes along that bayou in the area of the Barker dam that have not flooded so far are beginning to flood, and more will continue to do so.
Cantore is in the area, and pointed out curbside storm drains where water is bubbling OUT, instead of draining IN. Water from Barker going into an already swollen Buffalo. And more from upstream is coming IN to Barker than is going out.
That was the overall gist of his report.
Sigh
0 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7754 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:40 am

If you have Southwest Airline Rapid Rewards points, you can donate them to your choice of nine different charities. Among theme are three organizatins that are working with recovery and relief efforts in Texas and Louisiana: American Red Cross, All Hands Volunteers, and Team Rubicon.

You can find the donate page here: https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/promotions/donate-points-charity.html?clk=HOMEPROMO3_HUR170830
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7755 Postby tolakram » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:41 am

https://twitter.com/JeffLindner1/status/903219646861631492

Jeff Lindner @JeffLindner1
There are no problems with Addicks and Barker Reservoirs, the dams are safe and operating as designed #houwx #hounews #txwx
7:35 AM - Aug 31, 2017 · Houston, TX
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7756 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:07 am

GOOD NEWS
Reinforcements are arriving for the HPD!
Over 100 police officers from a myriad of other cities have driven in to bolster the ranks of and give some relief to Houston's exhausted men in blue.
3 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7757 Postby srainhoutx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 am

20.000 additional National Guard Troops are arriving from across the US to assist the 4,000 Texas National Guards already in place.
1 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7758 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:55 am

From Cantore -
Per Jeff Linder, the Barker actually went DOWN a bit over night and is not expected to rise any more in the near term.
Hooray!
1 likes   

KBBOCA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Formerly Boca Raton, often West Africa. Currently Charlotte NC

Re: ATL: HARVEY - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#7759 Postby KBBOCA » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:02 am

belltown wrote:
jasons wrote:Just heard from Southerngale. Lost everything including photos, but still alive, thank God.

I have been reading from the sidelines here for many years, well before Katrina on an earlier account. I don't know any of you personally, but you long-time contributors are such familiar names and I've learned so much from you. So it leaves me heavy-hearted to learn of your struggles and to be unable to do a single thing to help you. I know there is an outer circle of invisible supporters like me who will hold all of you in our thoughts and prayers. Hang on.

DITTO THIS!!! Been on this board since it began. I've not been here as much in last 2 years or so as my internet access has become quite difficult much of the time given my location in Africa, but I still feel like a lot on this board are friends even though I don't know anyone personally. My heart is still hurting, and I'm still praying for all of you affected by Harvey. This is truly an unimaginable storm.
1 likes   

Rail Dawg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7760 Postby Rail Dawg » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:29 am

For what it's worth I didn't chase Harvey in Rockport but ended up taking my "swamp boat" into the floodwaters surrounding Houston.

Spent 4 full days in some very treacherous waters rescuing over 150 people.

It's a good-sized boat and being fortunate to have a lifted F-350 was able to launch off the freeways and side-streets.

Couldn't have done the job without the dozens of heroes helping me.

It was a team-effort done with the highest spirits of many good volunteers and first-responders.
12 likes   
Although I have been a hurricane forecaster since 1980 that only means I've been wrong lots of times.

Return to “2017”