ATL: HARVEY - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: HARVEY - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#7761 Postby GCANE » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:44 am

Rail Dawg wrote:For what it's worth I didn't chase Harvey in Rockport but ended up taking my "swamp boat" into the floodwaters surrounding Houston.

Spent 4 full days in some very treacherous waters rescuing over 150 people.

It's a good-sized boat and being fortunate to have a lifted F-350 was able to launch off the freeways and side-streets.

Couldn't have done the job without the dozens of heroes helping me.

It was a team-effort done with the highest spirits of many good volunteers and first-responders.

Awesome Rail Dawg.
Glad to hear you are OK and you were able to help so many.
God Bless.
1 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7762 Postby tolakram » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:45 am

We are into the river and Bayou floodings now, and water will still be rising in many places, unfortunately.

https://twitter.com/JeffLindner1/status/903250851950718976

Jeff Lindner @JeffLindner1
Rooftop flooding along portions of lower Greens Bayou #houwx #hounews #txwx
9:39 AM - Aug 31, 2017
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#7763 Postby ROCK » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:02 am

well that wasn't fun at all... :eek: made out better than most so I am not crying. Thanks to 2K I was well prepared as was my extended family...We knew before this started and got a major head start. It went down hill Thursday and still there are lines at stores. Think most places will be open by this weekend though. estimates 500K cars dead on the road and I have seen it. Cars in ditches side of roads. like a car lot out here at some places...very humbling experience....on to Irma and hope nothing in the GOM next weekend...
17 likes   

Orlando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7764 Postby Orlando » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:02 am

Rail Dawg wrote:For what it's worth I didn't chase Harvey in Rockport but ended up taking my "swamp boat" into the floodwaters surrounding Houston.

Spent 4 full days in some very treacherous waters rescuing over 150 people.

It's a good-sized boat and being fortunate to have a lifted F-350 was able to launch off the freeways and side-streets.

Couldn't have done the job without the dozens of heroes helping me.
It was a team-effort done with the highest spirits of many good volunteers and first-responders.

Glad you are safe. I was worried about you.
4 likes   

Jelff
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#7765 Postby Jelff » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:17 am

The link below will display a Google + GIS (Geographical Information System) map that shows stream gages. The map is centered near the Texas-Louisiana border when it opens.

If the gage is purple that means a major flood is happening now.

If you click a stream gage symbol then you will see a display that shows all the attribute data the GIS server has for the thing that you clicked. If you scroll down the attribute data and click the link then you will see the USGS web page for that gage. That web page has a nice graph showing the recorded water levels over time. Usually there is also a forecast showing the expected water levels over the next few days.

Map link: https://bit.ly/2x8PIGa

This map can display 20+ hurricane related GIS data overlay layers and is my primary hurricane map.

Did you see the “Map Tips” link in the upper left corner? That info will show you how to turn other GIS data overlay layers on/off, how to make your own custom map link and more tips for getting the most benefit from the map. The “Map Tips” also has a short “terms of use” section that you are asked to respect.

Looking for the map legend? Click “Map Tips” then click the “Legend” button.

I have just joined this forum and this is the first map I am posting. For a bit of background on the map links I will be sharing please see my ‘introduction’ post:
viewtopic.php?p=2617737#p2617737
4 likes   

galveston-d
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7766 Postby galveston-d » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:31 am

ROCK wrote:well that wasn't fun at all... :eek: made out better than most so I am not crying. Thanks to 2K I was well prepared as was my extended family...We knew before this started and got a major head start. It went down hill Thursday and still there are lines at stores. Think most places will be open by this weekend though. estimates 500K cars dead on the road and I have seen it. Cars in ditches side of roads. like a car lot out here at some places...very humbling experience....on to Irma and hope nothing in the GOM next weekend...

Most of our family and friends in Houston are just fine - only my husband's father... when Addicks reservoir overflowed just as the storm receded, his house just south of Addicks on the otherside of I-10 flooded. His father and brother had to be rescued by boat. They are doing alright - his father is elderly and this has confused and upset him greatly. But they are alive. I know of a couple of people who still have not heard from family members or friends. I have one friend who was staying with his father who would not leave in the heart of a flooded area - we still have not heard from either of them and I hope they are okay.

Here is Galveston, life is pretty much back to normal. Buses are running (I use public transport by choice - my nod to trying to help the environment), garbage is being picked up, and businesses are opening up - most did not sustain a great deal of damage except those on Harborside and some downtown did get flooded but not as bad as Ike.
3 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7767 Postby tolakram » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 am

Jelff wrote:The link below will display a Google + GIS (Geographical Information System) map that shows stream gages. The map is centered near the Texas-Louisiana border when it opens.

If you click a stream gage symbol then you will see a display that shows all the attribute data the GIS server has for the thing that you clicked. If you scroll down the attribute data and click the link then you will see the USGS web page for that gage. That web page has a nice graph showing the recorded water levels over time. Usually there is also a forecast showing the expected water levels over the next few days.

This map can display 20+ hurricane related GIS data overlay layers and is my primary hurricane map.

Did you see the “Map Tips” link in the upper left corner? That info will show you how to turn other GIS data overlay layers on/off, how to make your own custom map link and more tips for getting the most benefit from the map. The “Map Tips” also has a short “terms of use” section that you are asked to respect.

I have just joined this forum and this is the first map I am posting. For a bit of background on the map links I will be sharing please see my ‘introduction’ post:

Thanks Joseph, hopefully this will help people monitor their local situation.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#7768 Postby Sanibel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:25 am

Watch the water Rock it could be toxic...
0 likes   

PaulR
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#7769 Postby PaulR » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:30 am

Jelff wrote:The link below will display a Google + GIS (Geographical Information System) map that shows stream gages. The map is centered near the Texas-Louisiana border when it opens.

Great post / maps. Is there any way to save the link such that it initiates @ my region when opened, without having to turn on location services in the browser? This is for a PC running Windows. If I "move" the map to my region and save the link, close, and reopen, the map still opens in SE TX. Somehow inputting the zip code might be easiest, city & state would be ok too. I looked through some of the map tips and did not see anything other than use of browser location services... (Privacy issue)
0 likes   
"Normal" is Chicago under a mile of ice.

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7770 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:32 am

Baptist Beaumont Hospital has had to air-evac their nearly 200 patients.
As you no doubt know, the city of Beaumont has no water . . .
2 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#7771 Postby jasons2k » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:38 am

Here is an update from Southerngale. Someone please post in check-in:

Good morning. I can't keep up with all the texts, messages, group messages, phone calls, Facebook, etc. Can't respond to everyone.
I got a hot meal last night and this morning and a baby wipe bath last night and dry clothes and shoes that were donated here. The few clothes I brought got wet on the way here and my shoes were wet. We had to walk through a lot of water. A nice lady is washing my wet clothes and I will finally get a hot shower when my clothes return. A few people are taking us a few at a time to their homes for showers. I haven't had a shower in 3 days.
I have no idea what's going to happen next. Taking it one day or hour at a time.
A lot of Sour Lake is underwater. The fire department came last night and said that the area of Sour Lake we are in is essentially an island. He said 5 ton military trucks can't get here from any direction so they are flying in cots, hot food and supplies supposedly today. I don't even have a hairbrush.
Our elementary school, middle school and high school in Sour Lake all flooded.
It took hours to get here yesterday. It took 3 different boats, a truck and trailer and a school bus to reach the shelter, transferring from one another to make it here. Hwy 105 flooded. I've never seen so many floating cars and debris in my life. It's insane.
I lost my house, everything in it and cars. I feel so lost. My entire community of Pinewood (guessing 500-600 homes flooded and flooded bad as well as the Country Club, little store and small church. That's all that's there. It's horrific and devastating. I couldn't find my cats in the house so they are still there. Lowered the attic stairs before it got too deep so I'm praying they make it. Unfortunately my 12 year old dog just died of cancer about a week ago. That was devastating as well. Please keep praying...
8 likes   

Jelff
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#7772 Postby Jelff » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:43 am

PaulR wrote:Great post / maps. Is there any way to save the link such that it initiates @ my region when opened, without having to turn on location services in the browser? This is for a PC running Windows. If I "move" the map to my region and save the link, close, and reopen, the map still opens in SE TX. Somehow inputting the zip code might be easiest, city & state would be ok too. I looked through some of the map tips and did not see anything other than use of browser location services... (Privacy issue)

Thanks for the kind words.

To make a custom map link:
1. Make the map look on your screen the way you want it to look when the map opens. This can include selecting the basemap and any overlays that you want to be 'on'.
2. Click Menu ==> Link to this map
3. Copy that link
4. Paste that link into a browser.

Tip: Only the 'top' overlay layer is clickable. The 'top' layer is the one with the highest number.
0 likes   

bg1
Category 1
Category 1

#7773 Postby bg1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 am

Hurricane Andrew wrote:Do we know of any shelters or places to stay on the west side of Beaumont? I have a guy who's been running for 48+ hours...he needs some sleep.

Off topic and sorry for the bump, but I just want to say that I am very proud of how you have grown and progressed since joining here 7 years ago (while I was still a lurker). You have come a long way, from the eager enthusiastic kid (whose mom took away his laptop that one time :P) to actually assisting hurricane victims! It almost brings a joyful tear to my eye.

Thank you (and everyone else too) here that has played a part in disaster relief.
3 likes   

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7774 Postby flamingosun » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 am

jasons wrote:Here is an update from Southerngale. Someone please post in check-in:

Done.
Just breaks your heart reading what she has gone and is going through. Hope and pray the kitties will be ok. She doesn't need any more heartbreak.
4 likes   

MissKandi
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7775 Postby MissKandi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Hey you all. Just dropping by. I've been working the Cajun Navy dispatch for the past several days now. I haven't had time to read here, watch the news or anything at all. Just to let y'all know the magnitude of this disaster. At one point yesterday, we had over 13 THOUSAND open requests for rescue from people who were in distress. Right now, we are still working in excess of 6 thousand open tickets. Please pray for our guys and gals who dropped everything to get their butts out there and risk life, limb, and property to assist our neighbors. Prayers are still needed. Resources are still needed. Please help if you are able to :)
7 likes   

MissKandi
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#7776 Postby MissKandi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:08 pm

Praying for Southern Gale and her kitty cats! All of this is so heartbreaking!
2 likes   

KimmieLa
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7777 Postby KimmieLa » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:13 pm

MissKandi wrote:Hey you all. Just dropping by. I've been working the Cajun Navy dispatch for the past several days now. I haven't had time to read here, watch the news or anything at all. Just to let y'all know the magnitude of this disaster. At one point yesterday, we had over 13 THOUSAND open requests for rescue from people who were in distress. Right now, we are still working in excess of 6 thousand open tickets. Please pray for our guys and gals who dropped everything to get their butts out there and risk life, limb, and property to assist our neighbors. Prayers are still needed. Resources are still needed. Please help if you are able to :)

Thank you for your service! The magnitude of hurting people is overwhelming. Backwater flooding now. Just heartbreaking. My home flooded in La. last August, so I can just imagine what they are experiencing right now. And, thank you to all who have responded by being boots on the ground. You will never know how much you have done and how appreciated you are. Praying, supporting and sending love to our Texas family.
2 likes   

seahawkjd
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7778 Postby seahawkjd » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:05 pm

KimmieLa wrote:
MissKandi wrote:Hey you all. Just dropping by. I've been working the Cajun Navy dispatch for the past several days now. I haven't had time to read here, watch the news or anything at all. Just to let y'all know the magnitude of this disaster. At one point yesterday, we had over 13 THOUSAND open requests for rescue from people who were in distress. Right now, we are still working in excess of 6 thousand open tickets. Please pray for our guys and gals who dropped everything to get their butts out there and risk life, limb, and property to assist our neighbors. Prayers are still needed. Resources are still needed. Please help if you are able to :)

Thank you for your service! The magnitude of hurting people is overwhelming. Backwater flooding now. Just heartbreaking. My home flooded in La. last August, so I can just imagine what they are experiencing right now. And, thank you to all who have responded by being boots on the ground. You will never know how much you have done and how appreciated you are. Praying, supporting and sending love to our Texas family.

I dropped in yesterday to help for a few hours. Its involved work but its definitely work that most people can do with a cell phone and and some knowledge of working with ticket systems. When I logged in this morning to check, the ticket numbers were down by several thousand and the boats had been out all night. These people are doing amazing work.
2 likes   
Gloria, Hugo, Emily, Bertha, Bonnie, Dennis (twice), Fran, Floyd, Isabel, Irene, Arthur, Matthew, Florence, Dorian (and many tropical storms and nor'easters).

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7779 Postby O Town » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:07 pm

jasons wrote:Here is an update from Southerngale. Someone please post in check-in:

Good morning. I can't keep up with all the texts, messages, group messages, phone calls, Facebook, etc. Can't respond to everyone.
I got a hot meal last night and this morning and a baby wipe bath last night and dry clothes and shoes that were donated here. The few clothes I brought got wet on the way here and my shoes were wet. We had to walk through a lot of water. A nice lady is washing my wet clothes and I will finally get a hot shower when my clothes return. A few people are taking us a few at a time to their homes for showers. I haven't had a shower in 3 days.
I have no idea what's going to happen next. Taking it one day or hour at a time.
A lot of Sour Lake is underwater. The fire department came last night and said that the area of Sour Lake we are in is essentially an island. He said 5 ton military trucks can't get here from any direction so they are flying in cots, hot food and supplies supposedly today. I don't even have a hairbrush.
It took hours to get here yesterday. It took 3 different boats, a truck and trailer and a school bus to reach the shelter, transferring from one another to make it here. Hwy 105 flooded. I've never seen so many floating cars and debris in my life. It's insane.
I lost my house, everything in it and cars. I feel so lost. My entire community of Pinewood (guessing 500-600 homes flooded and flooded bad as well as the Country Club, little store and small church. That's all that's there. It's horrific and devastating. I couldn't find my cats in the house so they are still there. Lowered the attic stairs before it got too deep so I'm praying they make it. Unfortunately my 12 year old dog just died of cancer about a week ago. That was devastating as well. Please keep praying...

Thanks for the update. My heart is breaking reading this. Stay strong girl and more prayers heading your way. <3
2 likes   

#ORLANDOSTRONG

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#7780 Postby jabman98 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks for letting us know. So glad she is safe. My heart is breaking for her and everyone affected by this horrible storm and flood.
1 likes   

Return to “2017”