ATL: IRMA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: IRMA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#12401 Postby gatorcane » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:43 pm

northjaxpro wrote:Hey Gatorcane! I am happy to see that you are OK and made through Irma. She packed a ferocious wallop for sure!!

Same to you northjaxpro. Heard about the flooding in Jax a couple of night ago while I was listening to radio in the dark withou power.
4 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12402 Postby Blown Away » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:48 pm

wxman57 wrote:NOAA just posted a link to high-res aerial damage photos:

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

Not a good sign they are holding off on posting the lower Keys photos...
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

lisa0825
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: IRMA - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#12403 Postby lisa0825 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:03 pm

lando wrote:
lisa0825 wrote:
lando wrote:

He lives in a mobile home by Miami international

But he did evacuate from the mobile home.

That would be good. I remember him saying he was staying in the managers office to watch over the park because he was assistant manager

Still no word from him? Very concerned! I hope he is OK! Does anyone have contact info?
:(
2 likes   

tronbunny
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12404 Postby tronbunny » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Blown Away wrote:
wxman57 wrote:NOAA just posted a link to high-res aerial damage photos:

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

Not a good sign they are holding off on posting the lower Keys photos...

They did us no favors with so much of lower keys that was actually photographed were caught at dawn/dusk and shadows hiding a great deal of detail.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#12405 Postby Sanibel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm

Just got power back on at my house on Sanibel Island...A little less damage than Charley but there are still a lot of trees down and power knocked out etc...Difference this time is we had water (non-potable) and sewer right away as soon as we came back...

The eyewall was really intense for about 20 minutes there at RSW Airport...Man I've never seen clouds moving like that before...The surge I tried to save the cars from never came and the garage was dry when I returned Monday at 5pm...Most houses virtually undamaged here...

This was a dying storm and I actually went through a category 2 eye...Pretty cool...

Last edited by Sanibel on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
7 likes   

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#12406 Postby Bocadude85 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Finally got power back this afternoon, lots of tree damage around.
3 likes   

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#12407 Postby johngaltfla » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 pm

galaxy401 wrote:Well this is unsettling. Lack of power taking a toll:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/13/5- ... power.html

I visited Hollywood two months ago so this is sad. There's also been deaths reported from carbon monoxide poisoning due to leaving the generator on inside the house.

Not a shocker. FPL's grand plan was just a smokescreen to add a surcharge to our bills.
0 likes   

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#12408 Postby johngaltfla » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Sanibel wrote:Just got power back on at my house on Sanibel Island...A little less damage than Charley but there are still a lot of trees down and power knocked out etc...Difference this time is we have water (non-potable) and sewer right away as soon as we came back...

The eyewall was really intense for about 20 minutes there at RSW Airport...Man I've never seen clouds moving like that before...The surge I tried to save the cars from never came and the garage was dry when I returned Monday at 5pm...Most houses virtually undamaged here...

This was a dying storm and I actually went through a category 2 eye...Pretty cool...

2 is better than mife! I figure our top gusts topped out at 105 per my neighbor's weather station. No power still and now sewage lift stations failing.
0 likes   

SootyTern
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12409 Postby SootyTern » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Hurricane Andrew wrote:Well, I am flying home today after working relief efforts since Saturday. It was an interesting experience...including my first time through the RFQ of a legitimate hurricane. I can now definitvlry say that anyone who says the words "just a cat 1" and means them may very well be an idiot.

I was in one location near Everglades City that had been hard hit by surge. There was a mess of debris and stuff at the high water mark; kids toys, shoes, clothes, even a softball bat, and as I stood there, the thought came upon me that I was literally looking at the remnants of people's lives. It was quite sobering.

The keys are, to ky understanding, an absolute disaster zone. And as bad as it was for mainland Florida, it could have been worlds worse. This storm should serve as a warning to us all, that preperation is not an option but a necessity.

I will come out of this hurricane with a few good memories, a few bad ones, and a bunch of scars on my arms from clearing trees. So many Floridians will come out having lost so much, and for that, my heart is with them.

Mankind cannot hold a candle to nature. We never have, and we never will. When the next storm comes, and it will come, all we can do is prepare, hold on, and respond to help our fellow men and women in need.

I believe that another Cat 5 will make landfall in FL, and likely sooner rather than later. The entire response force of the US, from local EOCs to the federal government, as well as civilian volunteers, must make ready to deal with this threat.

Every couple of decades, a major storm comes along that all following storms are compared against. Camille; Andrew; Katrina, and now Harvey. What will the next one be?

Probably not a lot of people here to see this, but this is the best post I've read in regards to this storm. Thank you for your service, Hurricane Andrew, and your kindness and generosity of spirit as well as knowledge. I see your age on your sidebar ( young enough that your namesake storm was just history for you) and I have faith in the future.
6 likes   
Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Gulf Coast: Opal '95 Georges '98 / So Fla: Katrina '05 Wilma '05 Irma '17

bahamaswx
Category 5
Category 5

#12410 Postby bahamaswx » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 pm

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/news/76198

78 year old man survived alone on a tiny island in the Bahamas that went through the northern eyewall, by going into the hills and tying himself to a tree, and then waited 3 days for rescue.
3 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#12411 Postby Sanibel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:10 pm

johngaltfla wrote:
2 is better than mife! I figure our top gusts topped out at 105 per my neighbor's weather station. No power still and now sewage lift stations failing.

Several people who were there agreed with me that the winds we saw had to be higher than the 89mph they reported at the airport...I would say about 100mph...But you can't argue with measured winds...Marco Island got what we were expected to get and we lucked out with the weaker west side...Many people suffering sheet flow, freshwater flooding right now that we were spared...
2 likes   

lando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12412 Postby lando » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Concerned we haven't heard from Floridasun
4 likes   

lisa0825
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12413 Postby lisa0825 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:57 pm

lando wrote:Concerned we haven't heard from Floridasun

Me too!!! :-(
0 likes   

Jelff
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#12414 Postby Jelff » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Today NOAA took aerial photos of the rest of the Florida Keys including Cudjoe Key and Big Pine Key. The NOAA ground team processed those photos and put them online *today*. This is amazing technology that lets us see georeferenced aerial photos on the *same day* the photos are taken.

The map also displays the U.S. National Grid which FEMA and the State of Florida use for disaster response.

To search the map on an address click Menu ==> Search.

Unfortunately the short bitly link I posted yesterday has failed. Below is a short Google link that should be good for all subsequent aerial photos that NOAA posts on their GIS server.

Remember, to see a list of areas covered so far by the NOAA aerials, please click “Map Tips” in the upper left corner of the map and then click “Irma aerial photo index”.

For the next few days NOAA will likely be taking more aerial photos and this same map link you see below will display them. You will need to click the “Map Tips” link to see what new areas have been covered.

Map link: https://goo.gl/9buvGP
0 likes   

PaulR
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#12415 Postby PaulR » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:07 am

TreasureIslandFLGal wrote:We survived Irma, but still no electricity. But we are lucky, as most of our neighborhood after our house has no water either. A tribute to it's namesake, our neighborhood, "Oak Hills", suffered A LOT of tree damage. Uprooted trees crossing the road in 4 places made leaving the neighborhood impassible until yesterday. Everyone has been chipping in to move the trees and limbs to the curbside. So glad we have the pool, as it has been the relief we all need from the hard work and heat during recovery.
Although just a borderline Cat 1 here (sustained upper 60's and gusts into 80's), Irma left her mark on our area of Clearwater, FL. We got to witness a small tornado blow through the neighbor's back yard and down the street. It was like the 4th of July with every transformer blowing out for miles around. We had an arching power situation in our front yard, that repeatedly was catching the trees on fire, which were then breaking off flaming branches that would land on our roof and side yard. -So we were up all night, outside through most of the worst of it, stomping out flames and pulling branches from the roof. I had to climb up into the attic with a flashlight twice to be sure no fires were taking hold.
So that was our "adventure". But at least we have gotten to know our neighbors much better! We are planning a neighborhood block party/cookout tonite with all the meats and foods that we all have left before they start to spoil, since nearly all the ice most people had is melting in their coolers now.
There is still very little gas, if any, in the region. Stores are not yet able to restock, and 77% of the county is without electricity still. Hoping a sense of normalcy comes back soon, or things could go a little crazy. Those less prepared will start to get desperate to find food and gas, let alone already have short tempers in the heat with no AC.

Wow, that almost sounds like a movie. Call it "Cat .5". Do you have any idea when power may be restored?

Hoping for the best for all...
0 likes   
"Normal" is Chicago under a mile of ice.

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12416 Postby psyclone » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:18 am

Well that was a mess. We got off lucky here and I was blessed to have no damage to my property. I stayed at a friend's place I had deemed to be safer (falling trees were my big concern). He had a south facing porch and I was able to sit out all night and watch the storm. Non stop power flashes the entire night and his carport was a casualty which made a great deal of noise as it flapped in the wind. Overall we did very well owing to the storm's more southerly landfall and a tack just east of the forecast. If anything this system has intensified my reverse wishcasting tendencies. No thanks. Best of luck to everyone in recovery mode.
4 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12417 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:18 pm

SootyTern wrote:
Hurricane Andrew wrote:Well, I am flying home today after working relief efforts since Saturday. It was an interesting experience...including my first time through the RFQ of a legitimate hurricane. I can now definitvlry say that anyone who says the words "just a cat 1" and means them may very well be an idiot.

I was in one location near Everglades City that had been hard hit by surge. There was a mess of debris and stuff at the high water mark; kids toys, shoes, clothes, even a softball bat, and as I stood there, the thought came upon me that I was literally looking at the remnants of people's lives. It was quite sobering.

The keys are, to ky understanding, an absolute disaster zone. And as bad as it was for mainland Florida, it could have been worlds worse. This storm should serve as a warning to us all, that preperation is not an option but a necessity.

I will come out of this hurricane with a few good memories, a few bad ones, and a bunch of scars on my arms from clearing trees. So many Floridians will come out having lost so much, and for that, my heart is with them.

Mankind cannot hold a candle to nature. We never have, and we never will. When the next storm comes, and it will come, all we can do is prepare, hold on, and respond to help our fellow men and women in need.

I believe that another Cat 5 will make landfall in FL, and likely sooner rather than later. The entire response force of the US, from local EOCs to the federal government, as well as civilian volunteers, must make ready to deal with this threat.

Every couple of decades, a major storm comes along that all following storms are compared against. Camille; Andrew; Katrina, and now Harvey. What will the next one be?

Probably not a lot of people here to see this, but this is the best post I've read in regards to this storm. Thank you for your service, Hurricane Andrew, and your kindness and generosity of spirit as well as knowledge. I see your age on your sidebar ( young enough that your namesake storm was just history for you) and I have faith in the future.

I appreciate that, man. Meteorology, and especially severe wx, has had an impact in my life since the age of 4 or so. My first full-length, completed piece of writing was historical fiction set among the background of New Orleans, late August, 2005. My current writing features weather-heavy descriptions, and I try to input an atmospheric tone when I can. The point I am making is that I love following the science of our atmosphere, as it is both comforting at times, and terrifying at others.
2 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

flamingosun
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12418 Postby flamingosun » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:05 pm

We arrived sAfely home Tuesday, but had no water u til yesterday, and just got power late this afternoon.
Many thanks to the unsung heroes from the Lone Star State who brought us back on line. God bless Texas!

Andrew . . . Wonderful post. Florida thanks you!

Weathered Irma, with lots of yard damage, but only a swollen door on the house as far as I can tell. No medical emergencies for my love, which had been my greatest fear. Cat is even starting to show signs of returning to normal.

Earnestly wish ALL others could say the same.

Thank you also to Storm 2k for being a port in the storm for so very many souls.
3 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: Irma: Observations,Web Cams,Local NWS Statements (NE Caribbean/Bahamas/Florida/SC/NC)

#12419 Postby bvigal » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:16 am

msbee wrote:St Maarten is slowly recovering. I am OK. Our house stood up well. We have cistern water and we have a generator. We have to limit usage of both so we don’t run out. Our fuel for the generator is low but we are OK for awhile.
When we turn on the generator we actually have internet and a landline. There is limited cell phone usage but that is slowly being restored too.
GEBE the utilities company has been distributing water to different districts for days now.
Considering everything, we consider ourselves very lucky.Many on the island are not so well off.
The reports of looting are disheartening and very scary but slowly order is being restored.
Abajan, it was total anarchy. scary to go out. It's better now.
The other side of that coin is people helping people. Stores giving away free food before it spoils. Neighborhoods banding together to clean up.
Laser 101 has been on the air non stop giving us updates since other communication on the island was impossible.
You can check their Facebook page for updates.
https://www.facebook.com/laser101/
They are streaming live at
http://laser101.fm/
Do not despair if you have not heard from people. Most of us are OK but unable to communicate.
Authorities are doing a great job of getting visitors off the island and back home.
Regards to all who have been affected by this storm and thanks to those of you who continue to send well wishes and offers of help.
Barbara

Dear Barbara,

So relieved to hear you are OK and have a livable home with water! Hopefully troops have now arrived in enough numbers to restore safety from evil, heartless criminals who will take advantage of anyone in the worst of circumstances.

As you may have heard, my beautiful BVI was damaged as much as was St. Martin/Anguilla, St Bart, & Barbuda. It looks like a bomb blast, as both Tortola and Virgin Gorda could be seen showing through the eye on satellite & radar. I had previously moved to Missouri for a time to care for aging (93) parents, so was far removed from the hazards of Irma, yet my heart remains there. It took five days to hear the status on some dear friends, but thankfully, they are alive. Almost everyone I know has lost their livelihood, many their homes. Everywhere my memories reside is now gone or severely damaged: boats, marinas, businesses, restaurants, beach bars, homes. All of the Virgin Islands webcams I looked at, and saved pictures from daily to stay connected and watch the weather, are gone. It's like a bad dream. Like your St. Martin, the BVI is comprised of people from around the globe, who share an intense love for the islands, which will allow them to be resilient and rebuild. But this one is going to take a while. :-(

My prayers continue for safety of all on all the islands Irma struck, and for all heavy rain to avoid the denuded islands the rest of this season. Heavy rain will pose an increased risk of mud/rock slides to human safety, and of infrastructure damage, for several months, until new trees can take root. May God go with you as you work to recover, and keep you safe.

Sara
2 likes   

bvigal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: Irma: Observations,Web Cams,Local NWS Statements (NE Caribbean/Bahamas/Florida/SC/NC)

#12420 Postby bvigal » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:20 am

cycloneye wrote:I am alive and back to Storm2k after Irma moved north of Puerto Rico sparing us from the core winds of 185 mph.There was some damage to homes especially in the NE part of the island like in the little island of Culebra.The main thing that happened was the power grid failure (Is fragil) and that was big because there was no internet nor cellular communications.My prayers go to those S2K friends that took it very hard in the northern Leewards and BVI /U.S Virgin islands.

Luis, so happy to hear you escaped the worst of Irma, and are OK! I pray any storms that follow this season will avoid the NE Caribbean, which has had enough pain for one year! Keep up the good work!
0 likes   

Return to “2017”